The Si hatchback

OP
OP

richtj22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4dr Civic LX 2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport
Here is a great article that possibly explains the difference between the 2nd and the 3rd photo... "At the back the central twin exhaust pipes from the concept remain, suggesting that this could be a quicker Type S model."

Europe after all will get getting a 1.5T with 200 hp. Maybe that is the engine going into the car shown in photo #2?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/...onda-civic-full-details-and-first-look-inside
Sponsored

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a great article that possibly explains the difference between the 2nd and the 3rd photo... "At the back the central twin exhaust pipes from the concept remain, suggesting that this could be a quicker Type S model."

Europe after all will get getting a 1.5T with 200 hp. Maybe that is the engine going into the car shown in photo #2?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/...onda-civic-full-details-and-first-look-inside
A 200hp hatchback would be fine with me if the SI isn't offered in that body style.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It'll most likely be for Europe where taxes are affected by engine displacement.

My gut says HOJ was pressing for a global release of the higher output 1.5T for all Type S/Si trims. But AHM lobbied for the 2.0T due to a much different competitive landscape in the U.S. We'll see what plays out...

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
It'll most likely be for Europe where taxes are affected by engine displacement.

My gut says HOJ was pressing for a global release of the higher output 1.5T for all Type S/Si trims. But AHM lobbied for the 2.0T due to a much different competitive landscape in the U.S. We'll see what plays out...
That's exactly how I feel about the "delay" of the SI as well. I think American Honda lobbied for a detuned 2.0t.

OP
OP

richtj22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4dr Civic LX 2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport
This popped up the other day in England. This is the first time spotting the double center pipe civic since February. It must be the Si given its differences with all of the other different prototypes seen thus far.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm apprehensive about the idea of an hatch only Si only because for whatever reason, I'm much more in tune with the design of the sedan over the hatch. Maybe it's because the hatch hasn't been released in it's final form yet. I'm excited for the future though.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
This popped up the other day in England. This is the first time spotting the double center pipe civic since February. It must be the Si given its differences with all of the other different prototypes seen thus far.

This is likely the higher output 1.5T Euro Sport model. Honda has specifically mentioned the Si will be a coupe/sedan here in the US.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag

I wish people would learn to record in landscape orientation. It's difficult to view a car through a keyhole, so to speak, where you can only see a small part of it at any given time.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
HondaProJason says we'll see a hatch Si, and there's been nothing from Honda to indicate otherwise. I think that vid is from March, tho.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
HondaProJason says we'll see a hatch Si, and there's been nothing from Honda to indicate otherwise.
This is one where I think he's jumped the gun too soon. His assessment is based on the lack of information supplied by Honda to date. However, Honda has never mentioned anything other than the Si being a coupe/sedan. And the screenshot I posted earlier is the smoking gun.

Jason argues that because the Sedan and Coupe are already out, with the Hatch/6MT coming this Fall, all evidence points towards the Si as a hatch. And would explain the reasoning behind the Si not being offered sooner. But I argue that the hatch platform is NOT the long pole in the tent... it's the midrange 2.0T that AHM lobbied to get in the Si (vs. the high output 1.5T).

That said, I won't rule out Honda changing directions late in the game and offering an Si hatch. Possible, but unlikely.

Last edited:

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Design - do you have anything other than that email from Honda to go on? I don't personally find that very compelling evidence, but I do find Honda's statements at NY to hold some water (i.e., their release that some Hatchback trims (plural) in the US will have the center pipes, that the hatchback is the "sporty" body style, etc). The Honda website now (intentionally, if you ask me) doesn't list the Civic Si Sedan and Civic Si Coupe as it did when you signed up (a hold-over from previous gens), but rather just "Civic Si".

Just because HPJ used that justification to explain himself doesn't mean that's the only info he has. ;)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
@Design - do you have anything other than that email from Honda to go on? I don't personally find that very compelling evidence, but I do find Honda's statements at NY to hold some water (i.e., their release that some Hatchback trims (plural) in the US will have the center pipes, that the hatchback is the "sporty" body style, etc). The Honda website now (intentionally, if you ask me) doesn't list the Civic Si Sedan and Civic Si Coupe as it did when you signed up (a hold-over from previous gens), but rather just "Civic Si".

Just because HPJ used that justification to explain himself doesn't mean that's the only info he has. ;)
There's nothing to suggest this information has changed. And Honda's press statements support this as well, specifically calling out "Si variants" in their language. Without giving things up outright, this is about as compelling as it gets aside from additional spy photos (or any other information from the horse's mouth).

In other words, people can look at this any way they want, and craft a narrative to whatever suits their wants or beliefs. I prefer to wait this out and let what little information we have available (for now) speak for itself. :cool:

Last edited:

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Design - could you point me to the press statements? I'm trying to plan ahead to the best degree possible, and want to get all the info that's available.

Wish we'd get something conclusive!