The Si hatchback

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe when the production midel comes out i will like it more... I really do love that color..

Ill take a sedan SI with a cvt or dct please....
I think honda will never release an SI with CVT. If you look at the history of the SI its always been manual. If honda wants to keep the roots of the SI they will release it with a only a 6sp manual transmission.
Sponsored

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
here's my opinion. Honda is releasing the hatch first because if they released the Si first, there goes all the thunder for the hatch. Especially if they were released within a short distance of each other. It'd be like this: "Boom Si!!". A few weeks later: "hey, here's the hatch!.... but really that Si though...." Whereas if you release the hatch first, it'll be an incremental wow factor. That's the reason I think they are planning to release the Si after the hatch, not because it's in fact going to be a hatch.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I think honda will never release an SI with CVT. If you look at the history of the SI its always been manual. If honda wants to keep the roots of the SI they will release it with a only a 6sp manual transmission.
Look at the new WRX it now comes in a cvt now...

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Guess we'll see next year, or later this year :)
I'm sure 99 percent of people cringe when they here SI with a CVT but I don't like or want to drive a stick. I always wanted a SI since 99-00 model. And I would bet a SI with some kind of auto would sell pretty well.. I really hate the waiting game...

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
but I don't like or want to drive a stick.
I'm 100% with ya. Not everyone that likes performance wants to drive a MT. And before anyone says a MT will always out-perform an automatic, I would say the people I raced against in my old mustang would highly disagree. :)

Last edited:

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
I don't mind if the SI (or even the Type R) is offered with some sort of automatic as long as the 6spd manual is still available for those of us who prefer them.

I also don't see why Honda shouldn't offer the SI in hatchback form. Most of the SI's competitors are hatchbacks anyway. I'd think more variety would be a win win for both Honda and the consumer.

No worries one way or the other. I'm pretty sure I'll get an SI in the future...and as long as I have the option of at least the sedan (I can't do the coupe) I'm good either way.

Honda just needs to hurry up and release some information!

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Been watching this for awhile - almost pulled the trigger on a '15 SI 4dr - but I chose (wisely, I think) to wait for the 10th gen.

I've got my hopes pinned on an SI hatchback, as it's by far the best-looking Honda (to my eyes, at least) I've seen in years. All of information I've seen seems to support (or at least, fails to refute) the notion of a SI hatch, but there seems to be a general notion here and on tov that the SI will be sedan and coupe only - but I can't see exactly where we're getting this info. I did see the Honda info that says the SI will be available in the body styles it had been in the past (which sounds to me more like a confirmation of a coupe and a sedan, not an indication that there won't be a hatch) and that "send me updates" area on the site momentarily referenced specifically an "SI Sedan" and an "SI Coupe," without mention of the hatch (but now lists just "Civic Si").

I think the OP is on the right track with those three pics - all three seem to be production models in near-production guise, meaning there will be a model with 2 center pipes (as well as the CTR with three), and Honda's rep at the NY release said specifically that "some trims" will get the center pipes (meaning some will not) - this could be read to refer to the CTR, but I think the plural "some trims" is intentional and telling (base 1.5T without center pipes, 2.0T/Si with two center pipes, 2.0T/CTR with three center pipes). Furthermore, there's been an explicit push by Honda to categorize the hatch as the "sportiest" of the body styles, so it doesn't seem to make sense that it would not get an SI variant.

Anyway, might be just wishful thinking on my part. Either way, I hope it shows soon - I'm ready to get my hands on one.

First post BTW - glad to be here.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Been watching this for awhile - almost pulled the trigger on a '15 SI 4dr - but I chose (wisely, I think) to wait for the 10th gen.

I've got my hopes pinned on an SI hatchback, as it's by far the best-looking Honda (to my eyes, at least) I've seen in years. All of information I've seen seems to support (or at least, fails to refute) the notion of a SI hatch, but there seems to be a general notion here and on tov that the SI will be sedan and coupe only - but I can't see exactly where we're getting this info. I did see the Honda info that says the SI will be available in the body styles it had been in the past (which sounds to me more like a confirmation of a coupe and a sedan, not an indication that there won't be a hatch) and that "send me updates" area on the site momentarily referenced specifically an "SI Sedan" and an "SI Coupe," without mention of the hatch (but now lists just "Civic Si").

I think the OP is on the right track with those three pics - all three seem to be production models in near-production guise, meaning there will be a model with 2 center pipes (as well as the CTR with three), and Honda's rep at the NY release said specifically that "some trims" will get the center pipes (meaning some will not) - this could be read to refer to the CTR, but I think the plural "some trims" is intentional and telling (base 1.5T without center pipes, 2.0T/Si with two center pipes, 2.0T/CTR with three center pipes). Furthermore, there's been an explicit push by Honda to categorize the hatch as the "sportiest" of the body styles, so it doesn't seem to make sense that it would not get an SI variant.

Anyway, might be just wishful thinking on my part. Either way, I hope it shows soon - I'm ready to get my hands on one.

First post BTW - glad to be here.
Having a '12 Si Sedan - I like the new technology and 20 mores horses would be great. Sedan or hatchback will work but I'll check the CTR out also, just in case!

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
From what I have heard Si will be manual only. On slightly different note saw two Type R's on public roads the other day. Looked great one white one red, even the white which is my least favorite color for a car looked great. White makes me think of a kitchen appliance not a fun vehicle.
What kind of Type R did you see?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Honda's email reminders specifically mention an Si Coupe and Si Sedan at some point in the communication stream (as confirmed by other members here). Though I wouldn't rule out a Hatch option, my gut says it will be reserved for the CTR.

The second photo does indeed appear to be the prototype hatch. The rear louvers are masked and the wheels are powder-coated. But the design appears to be an exact copy.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Si hatchback civichatch2

Found the communication. Si Coupe and Sedan only.

Although Honda has been known to change directions late in the game, I don't see any reason for this to change (yet):

Honda Civic 10th gen The Si hatchback upload_2016-2-8_9-2-40-

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
Found the communication. Si Coupe and Sedan only.

Although Honda has been known to change directions late in the game, I don't see any reason for this to change (yet):

Honda Civic 10th gen The Si hatchback upload_2016-2-8_9-2-40-
Okay, that's one strike against the SI for me since I much prefer the hatchback body style. The other possible downside are seats if the driver's seat bottom doesn't have a tilt adjustment. Did the gen 9 SI have that feature?
Sponsored