saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Probably beating a dead horse on the subject. On my commute to work I’ve noticed the bland look on the highway and roads the boxy shape of SUVs Pickups and minivans that’s all that’s on the roads there’s a few cars with a different style but the large it just a box. Doesn’t any of these auto manufacturers have a imagination back in the 50s and early 60s and there’s was a lot of different body styles on one model. And I’m not talking about some of these retro models either some of them look like a ride at Disney world. I have to say at least the civic models have a distinctive style for now
This is just my opinion
Sponsored

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Yeah man, it's sad that no one wants to take a chance. It's hard to blame them when that chance could cost you millions of dollars in tooling and fixturing for a new design, but it's still sad. I like a lot of the retro style cars but I'm not really into the American cars and they are the only ones doing it.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
Probably beating a dead horse on the subject. On my commute to work I’ve noticed the bland look on the highway and roads the boxy shape of SUVs Pickups and minivans that’s all that’s on the roads there’s a few cars with a different style but the large it just a box. Doesn’t any of these auto manufacturers have a imagination back in the 50s and early 60s and there’s was a lot of different body styles on one model. And I’m not talking about some of these retro models either some of them look like a ride at Disney world. I have to say at least the civic models have a distinctive style for now
This is just my opinion
I personally find the Civic to be the best looking in its class, maybe edged out by the Mazda 3 in some areas, but the sport models bring it home with the new 2020 updates.

Though I will say, the Toyota corolla HB was almost my choice until I saw the rear end and almost threw up when I saw the fake exhaust tips. :puke:

OP
OP
saz468

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah man, it's sad that no one wants to take a chance. It's hard to blame them when that chance could cost you millions of dollars in tooling and fixturing for a new design, but it's still sad. I like a lot of the retro style cars but I'm not really into the American cars and they are the only ones doing it.
True when GM dropped the wankle engine project in the 70s at the eleventh hour it left AMC in the dark with the pacer which ultimately left AMC to put a outdated suspension and engine in a radical design

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
I understand why it is the way it is from a business point of view but you are so right. So much of what's out there is just boring to look at.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it’s a mix of aerodynamic compromises for efficiency coupled with compromises for pedestrian safety if you were to strike one making most vehicles look very, very similar. Cars from the mid-20th century and earlier were practically works of art, with exterior form taking precedence over form that wasn’t even relevant at the time.

The Civic does cut a few good lines, and has some contrasting pieces here and there that help. Every time models go curvy/bubbly, I don’t care for it. Sharp lines catch my eye.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
I think a lot of it is because companies like GM are using the same car for their different brands, but just putting different body panels on them. Hyundai/Kia as well
Vw too. They have like 2 platforms lol

OP
OP
saz468

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think a lot of it is because companies like GM are using the same car for their different brands, but just putting different body panels on them. Hyundai/Kia as well
True must GM s are opels and Vauxhals expect the Vette

OP
OP
saz468

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think it’s a mix of aerodynamic compromises for efficiency coupled with compromises for pedestrian safety if you were to strike one making most vehicles look very, very similar. Cars from the mid-20th century and earlier were practically works of art, with exterior form taking precedence over form that wasn’t even relevant at the time.

The Civic does cut a few good lines, and has some contrasting pieces here and there that help. Every time models go curvy/bubbly, I don’t care for it. Sharp lines catch my eye.
Yeah a lot of cars has that bubble look back in the 90s this just happens to be one of my favorite cars

Honda Civic 10th gen The shape of things 22DCD9D9-BCBB-4889-85D1-3F33B9A39D99

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag

Agreed on every point. Other than the Cybertruck, there are only a handful of designs.

OP
OP
saz468

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Like them or hate them here’s a few auto design that where unique off the top of my head for now

Honda Civic 10th gen The shape of things 1028C79E-E34D-4824-B749-9A1335EC4F37

Honda Civic 10th gen The shape of things 4DC4E9F4-D39B-43F0-A35E-FE4B8A74590A

Honda Civic 10th gen The shape of things 172C8904-84DA-44C5-9CDB-C035A32376A2

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
No one has ever called my coupe boring looking. It has however been polarizing.
Sponsored