type_r_wannabe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
I'm a new owner as of wednesday of a 2018 si coupe.

I obviously test drove the car but one thing i'm noticing that takes away from the driving experiance HUGE is the damn rev hang....from 2nd to 3rd its honestly unbearable. My foot is on the clutch for like 4 seconds waiting for the revs to drop to an area for a smooth shift. I'm big on that when driving around normally.

Is hondata/ktuner truley the only way out of this problem? I have the standard 3 year warranty and wasn't going to do it until after, but it feels like its taking away so much from what the driving experiance COULD be....
Sponsored

Last edited:

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
KTuner (and Hondata, I'm sure) does do the trick for sure.

In case you're under the same mistaken impression I was, though, a tune only affects the throttle closing delay. Your revs will start to drop immediately after clutching in, but they'll still drop slowly.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is no other way other than a tuning device to remove 'rev hang' though... as it's a software based slower closure of the throttle than what your foot it inputting via the pedal to allow for a more complete fuel burn for emissions. That can be eliminated.

It helps, but the tiny engine with the heavy flywheel will always have the revs fall kind of slow. The 9th gens had rev hang bad, but by removing it through a tuner, the engine was better suited to allow revs to fall. Removed, it's much better to me now, though still a little slow for revs to fall.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson, Mustang GT
I know its vastly more expensive but if there is a hint of lag after reprogramming it, has anyone felt a difference if they replaced the flywheel with a lighter one?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
@charleswrivers comment regarding the revhang delete using a tuner is the most accurate. The revs will always fall slowly, but they will begin to drop immediately when you step on the clutch (unlike stock, where they can hang in place for several seconds or even climb a bit when you clutch in).

Another member recently also had a lightweight single mass flywheel installed, which likely helps to improve the drop speed. It's not the instant plummet that you'd get on an old school manual, but both improvements would help quick a bit.

privatejet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Do you need to be in 'Sport' mode for the rev-hang to go away with the Hondata, or does it remove it all the time (as when driving around normally not in Sport mode)?

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Do you need to be in 'Sport' mode for the rev-hang to go away with the Hondata, or does it remove it all the time (as when driving around normally not in Sport mode)?
That's a choice when you pick your tune

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All the time.

The rev hang delete transforms the driving experience more than I would have thought. Just get a tuning device and get it fixed.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You sound like me when I first got my Si lol. I still hate the rev hang, but I have adjusted my driving style to make it a little more tolerable. The only method I find to work, aside from tuning, is to slip the clutch in between shifts. I know this method is not the best for the clutch, but I feel its better than waiting 3-4 seconds in between shifts. Hopefully, the clutch will last for the duration of my lease :D

Last edited:

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You sound like me when I first got my Si lol. I still hate the rev hang, but I have adjusted my driving style to make it a little more tolerable. The only method I found to work, aside from tuning, is to slip the clutch in between shifts. I know this method is not the best for the clutch, but I feel its better then waiting 3-4 seconds in between shifts. Hopefully, the clutch doesnt have to be replaced before my lease is up :D
I do the same thing when shifting from 1st to 2nd sometimes. I feel like an idiot waiting for the damn RPM's to drop for 3 seconds so this seems to be the only other option other than short-shifting. The rev-hang really shows though when you are doing spirited driving. For casual driving I usually short-shift which hides the issue for the most part. It really makes 1st-2nd a pain in the ass lol.

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
For how much I would like to just get rid of rev hang, I don't think the price of a tuner is worth it just for this change. Not sure if it is just me, but shifting from 1st to 2nd without going above 2500 doesn't enable the rev hang feature.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
For how much I would like to just get rid of rev hang, I don't think the price of a tuner is worth it just for this change. Not sure if it is just me, but shifting from 1st to 2nd without going above 2500 doesn't enable the rev hang feature.
That might be true. However, if your trying to get up to speed quickly, only reving to 2500 rpm, will not be enough. That is when VTEC begins to kick in (Kidding).
Sponsored