ltrinh

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I didn’t even know the Elantra sport came out as I was looking/bought the si. Now I’ve seen so many comparisons of each other in forums and videos. Definitely a good value for the Elantra, but Honda edges it out on resale and reliability, which are important to me. The civic also looks more unique than the Elantra and prefer the looks and performance lsd over the Hyundai. When I say reliability, I don’t mean to knock the newer Hyundai’s. I’m just saying the Honda engineers pulled back the performance of the turbo to have the engine last at least over 200k miles.
SI is much more fuel efficient than Elantra, around nearly 10 mpg, that's huge at least for me.
Sponsored

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
SI is much more fuel efficient than Elantra, around nearly 10 mpg, that's huge at least for me.
Yep. There’s a reason why the Elantra is cheaper than the si. You get what you pay for.

pretzelface

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Is this on stock tires? Makes the comparison pretty meaningless IMHO. As a somewhat-serious autocrosser, I've purchased wheels and tires for my '18 Si even before the plates have arrived. I just can't trust any comparison that doesn't put them on equal footing, rubber-wise.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Is this on stock tires? Makes the comparison pretty meaningless IMHO. As a somewhat-serious autocrosser, I've purchased wheels and tires for my '18 Si even before the plates have arrived. I just can't trust any comparison that doesn't put them on equal footing, rubber-wise.
I think it was all seasons. Goes to show the delta between them performance wise as the Si still gaps him especially from a dig.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious, how does the new Veloster Turbo stack up against the Si? There’s a lot of talk about that car, and this isn’t even the zesty N variant.

Deleted member

Curious, how does the new Veloster Turbo stack up against the Si? There’s a lot of talk about that car, and this isn’t even the zesty N variant.
Stock for stock the new Veloster Turbo will probably be both cheaper and quicker in a straight line than the Si. The drawback of the Veloster will probably be more or less the same drawbacks as the Elantra Sport; poorer driving experience, build quality, reliability, resale value, interior, and exterior compared to the Si.

Edit: For some reason I was under the impression the new Veloster Turbo had 220-230 horses. Ignore my comment about it being quicker in a straight line.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Stock for stock the new Veloster Turbo will probably be both cheaper and quicker in a straight line than the Si.
The ones that come with a DCT might have a slight advantage, the 6 speed veloster turbo vs the Si would be a fun race.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was surprised by a not-stock early variant when I was in my Z one time 3-4 years ago. I was *not* racing him... but he took off beside me in an attempt to entice me. It looked to be a 6-flat/sub-6 sec 0-60 car as it took off amazingly well for a FWD.

Just an observation... but is likely representative of what light mods can do for the cars. It was certainly covered in power enhancing stickers and had an obvious aftermarket exhaust. I also have no doubt my old Z could have crushed it, but... I don't street race. It would have likely taken 2nd/3rd gear to wreck his soul though as the Z has 2 types of launches with it's meh tires and anti-squat suspension... bog or burnout.

They look to be able to be quite quick. I wouldn't own one however.

Steadyhands

First Name
Deez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
This video helped me make my decision. Both cars were choices and I ultimately went with the car that was most comfortable for me.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This video helped me make my decision. Both cars were choices and I ultimately went with the car that was most comfortable for me.
I was with the guys when they were doing the AutoX part of the review! Some people thought it was my Si being thrashed around the course :D

Steadyhands

First Name
Deez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I was with the guys when they were doing the AutoX part of the review! Some people thought it was my Si being thrashed around the course :D
Very cool. The Straight Pipe is one of my "go-to" channels.

Are you referencing the video below? That video really legitimized the Hyundai for me. The Hyundai dealers I was working actually came through on the deal I wanted. I was insistent on the blue version of the ES. They couldnt find one 600 miles from me. Honda came out of nowhere and beat the deal on the Elantra and in 3 days I committed to my Si. Honestly, I was not 100% on the Hyundai despite everything I heard and read. Im super happy I ended up with the Si.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very cool. The Straight Pipe is one of my "go-to" channels.

Are you referencing the video below? That video really legitimized the Hyundai for me. The Hyundai dealers I was working actually came through on the deal I wanted. I was insistent on the blue version of the ES. They couldnt find one 600 miles from me. Honda came out of nowhere and beat the deal on the Elantra and in 3 days I committed to my Si. Honestly, I was not 100% on the Hyundai despite everything I heard and read. Im super happy I ended up with the Si.

Yup, Jakub and Yuri are local buds :)

Very similar story to yours. There was no ETA on that exact yellow ES with the premium package and 6MT from any dealer in Ontario, Canada. I test drove the Si upon my co-worker and insurance friend's recommendation... drove fantastic and signed on spot for the car!

Will say the Elantra looks great from every angle, whereas the Si has a few not-so-great angles. The Elantra also sounds better. However, I'm happy with my decision! My Elantra Sport friends who have sat in my car love it!

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Didn't know that the Canadian Si comes with the led headlights, that would be really nice if they did that here in the states. Kinda sucks.

Scoobtothenoog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on my Type R
Country flag
I've been back and forth on the 2 for about a month. I just negotiated a deal on a manual ES for $16,109 + taxes. I feel they both have their pluses and minuses. Since this will be my daily commuter. I'm starting to think at that price point, the ES is a heck of a bargain.
Sponsored