Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can the Si-tech inserts be replaced easily? On their wiper refill page only the Aero and Super Silicone blades are stated as having replacements available.
Don't know. I haven't had to yet :confused:
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can the Si-tech inserts be replaced easily? On their wiper refill page only the Aero and Super Silicone blades are stated as having replacements available.

Gah!!

It looks like si tech DON'T have refills :cry:

Honda Civic 10th gen The perfect silicone wiper blades Screenshot_20200311-161703~2

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Gah!!

It looks like si tech DON'T have refills :cry:

Screenshot_20200311-161703~2.png
I'd check them out to be sure. Seems like a lot of wiper blades not made to be refillable can have the inserts removed w/o too much issue.

OP
OP

n3umw

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe 1.5L CVT
Country flag
PIAA blades are the best out there, IMO. I had a set on my previous car for 5 years and they were still doing a pretty good job when I sold the car. I just flipped the original OEM inserts in my Civic wipers last evening and I was happy to see they come out very easily. I noticed the OEM inserts have a trapezoidal profile to the top side if the insert instead of the squared off profile that the PIAA inserts use. Was this the case for you and did it present any issues when inserting the PIAAs into the OEM blades?
You are correct about the square profile of the PIAA. Unfortunately I threw away the OEM after I was satisfied that the PIAA were a good replacement. The PIAA fit a little loose if anything but I was unable to pull them through the channel (I tried hard) and they work really well.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The OEM blades have a much lower profile?

wiper blades.jpg

They're both very similar in size. I had trico in between though, so my memory is foggy

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
You are correct about the square profile of the PIAA. Unfortunately I threw away the OEM after I was satisfied that the PIAA were a good replacement. The PIAA fit a little loose if anything but I was unable to pull them through the channel (I tried hard) and they work really well.
Good to hear, thanks! I think as long as they don't wobble too much back and forth in the channel, they should be good.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Can confirm, just did the switch as the si tech's sit too high for me. Thanks for the post OP!
Also no need for pliers, just grab the rubber at the end and pull out though the little slot, pretty sure it can be refilled easily too if you wanted to keep the si tech.

OEM from honda are both 6mm
piaa that came with mine were both 6mm

But they are a little loose compared to oem, you could probably fit 8mm if you tried.

Last edited:

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
So is the consensus that you get the PIAA inserts for 26 and 18 and drop them in the stock mounts, or get the smallest that has 8mm and cut it down to 18? Time to swap mine out, this seems the best route, I’d just rather order the right thing and not do unnecessary returns.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
So is the consensus that you get the PIAA inserts for 26 and 18 and drop them in the stock mounts, or get the smallest that has 8mm and cut it down to 18? Time to swap mine out, this seems the best route, I’d just rather order the right thing and not do unnecessary returns.
consensus as of now is not sure if 8mm fits but 6mm will for sure.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
There are two ways to install PIAA silicone wipers on our Civics:

1. Get PIAA Aero Vogue wipers to replace the frame-less OEM one with metal framed ones and replaceable blades.

2. If you want to retain the frame-less look, get Si-Tech wipers. As the OP said they sit quite high and look funny to me. The good thing is, the rubber blades are removable, but PIAA doesn't sell replacements. Remove the Si-Tech rubber blades and install them into the OEM frames. It will be a bit loose but will hold. I've had them for over a year.

I've been using Aero Vouge wipers on my other car for the last 5 year. I think it is starting to streak. Not sure if the wipers are worn or the windshield needs some scrubbing.

If I recall, the PIAA refills do not seem to fit the OEM frames. Their long refill is 8 mm wide and the short ones are 6 mm. 8 mm is too wide for the OEM frames.

http://www.piaa.com/store/c/72-Wiper-Refills.aspx

Last edited:

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
There are two ways to install PIAA silicone wipers on our Civics:

1. Get PIAA Aero Vogue wipers to replace the frame-less OEM one with metal framed ones and replaceable blades.

2. If you want to retain the frame-less look, get Si-Tech wipers. As the OP said they sit quite high and look funny to me. The good thing is, the rubber blades are removable, but PIAA doesn't sell replacements. Remove the Si-Tech rubber blades and install them into the OEM frames. It will be a bit loose but will hold. I've had them for over a year.

I've been using Aero Vouge wipers on my other car for the last 5 year. I think it is starting to streak. Not sure if the wipers are worn or the windshield needs some scrubbing.

If I recall, the PIAA refills do not seem to fit the OEM frames. Their long refill is 8 mm wide and the short ones are 6 mm. 8 mm is too wide for the OEM frames.

http://www.piaa.com/store/c/72-Wiper-Refills.aspx
This is useful information! Any experience with 'super silicone' blades? Also, just to be clear, are you saying you haven't had to replace your aero vouge wipers for 5 years or that you think the frame itself is starting to wear out?

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
This is useful information! Any experience with 'super silicone' blades? Also, just to be clear, are you saying you haven't had to replace your aero vouge wipers for 5 years or that you think the frame itself is starting to wear out?
Nope, no experience with the Super Silicone blades, but the refills are the same as the Aero Vougue's. The difference is in the frame design.

I haven't had to replace my Aero Vouge wipers for the last 5 years. The rubber blades are starting to wear out. The frames are in perfect condition.

Zimmy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI, 2011 Accord V6, 2003 Civic LX, 2010 Ford Fusion
Country flag
Better than Michelin Endurance XTs?
I bought Michelin XT’s at Walmart. They were ~$30.00. Most expensive wiper blades I have ever purchased. Installation was easy. Let them run dry over the windshield to prime the silicone and rain beads right off now. Supposed to last much longer because the silicone does not get brittle. I am happy with them

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IMG_20191210_121318.jpg

https://www.piaa.com/sitech

https://www.piaa.com/store/c/72-Wiper-Refills.aspx

The initial investment is a little steep, but refills are reasonable
It looks pretty tall, and the frameless OEM wipers look tall as well without the metal frame.

Just found out these pictures on internet, and I think I'll go with Aero Vogue. I've been using Aero Vogue in other car for the last 5 years, and it's been great. I tried to transfer the shorter one to 10th gen civic, and notice that the wiper arm is interfering with the frame. It looks like we need an adapter on the shorter one so it sits besides the wiper arm instead of under the wiper arm like the longer one.

Honda Civic 10th gen The perfect silicone wiper blades p5

Honda Civic 10th gen The perfect silicone wiper blades p6 (1)

Last edited: