072.4se

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord SE 2010 Honda CRV
I'm getting ready to purchase a new car. I hoped to pick up a 2016 Honda Coupe Touring V6.
But the new civic design has caught my eye. Now I've driven manual for years along side my CBR 1000 R. So, I'm no stranger to speed and performance.

But, I need something my wife can drive sometimes also.

Now I've driven the v6 coupe and I love it. Along with it comes some exclusivity compared to how many Accord sedans and civics will be out there.

But, if an Si came with the DCT tranny of the ILX & TLX I could save myself some money and still have four doors. With coupe V6 I would be limited to 2 doors but its not too much of an issue.

That is my conundrum.

Honda Civic 10th gen The only AT for Si Sedan will be the DCT from ILX MSM Coupe.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen The only AT for Si Sedan will be the DCT from ILX wht side view.JPG

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Well, you're just gonna have to wait. Look at it this way, you may be able to get a better deal on a 2016 Accord when they clear them out for 2017's if you decide the Si doesn't do it for you.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
DCT is going to be an expensive option. On the Si, which is a budget-oriented performance compact, I wouldn't hold my breath. At least not right away. VW charges another $1.2K for their performance auto (DSG). Yet the take rate is still slightly less than their manual option.

The demand is simply not there (yet).

Last edited:

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
An Si sedan is likely to return so you're good there. The DCT (or any auto type of transmission for that matter) is less of a guarantee since they could go with manual only again for the Si.

Can you stand to wait? We should probably learn more within 3-4 months.

sickk23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland, 2014 Lexus GS 350 F Sport
I'm in the same exact predicament. No manual transmission for me. So I'm anxiously waiting to see if its going to be an auto lol otherwise, I'm not sure what I'll go with.

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
I daily drive a manual now and I love it. My wife, I fixed that years ago, bought a car for primary vehicle that was only manual even though she could not drive it. Learned in two days and had no further issues and now loves a manual.

That said I'd consider a DCT depending on cost. I LOVE manual but driving to a major city the manual becomes a pain in the leg at times. I would at least consider the option if it existed, but my wife might insist on the manual. She now says that "is the point" of driving a sporty car. Still, I'd at least look at the DCT and if actually done well might get one. If only manual available then no problem, manual it is!

DCT in VW is an unreliable fail. It is also horribly done in the Ford's I've driven. DCT alone will not get me to go.

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
DCT in VW is an unreliable fail. It is also horribly done in the Ford's I've driven. DCT alone will not get me to go.
I always thought VW's DSG had a good reputation as one of the better dual clutch. Maybe that was just early on since it was one of the first dual clutch boxes.

What's been the the reviews on the ILX DCT?

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Performance on the DCT from VW is okay but it burns through clutch packs on the DCT. Bad enough they tell people to go ahead and start saving for one if they are going to keep it past three years. Some people got through three clutch packs on the DCT or more before people burn out a normal clutch.

My mother in laws Ford Focus is on it's fourth set of clutch packs and she has not hit 20,000 miles yet! Bad enough Ford has extended the warranty to 100k even including the clutch packs.

The ILX DCT has gotten good reviews but the car is overall not sporting enough to really be a good test. I do know the reviewers liked it much, much more than the 9sp in the V6.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
20k and through 3 clutch packs? And people here are worried about the cvt haha.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Performance on the DCT from VW is okay but it burns through clutch packs on the DCT. Bad enough they tell people to go ahead and start saving for one if they are going to keep it past three years. Some people got through three clutch packs on the DCT or more before people burn out a normal clutch.

My mother in laws Ford Focus is on it's fourth set of clutch packs and she has not hit 20,000 miles yet! Bad enough Ford has extended the warranty to 100k even including the clutch packs.

The ILX DCT has gotten good reviews but the car is overall not sporting enough to really be a good test. I do know the reviewers liked it much, much more than the 9sp in the V6.
What?! That sounds like a manufacturers defect hah. You know it's bad when a transmission that's totally controlled by software still manages to allow itself to burn through clutch packs like that. Whoever's responsible for DSG programming at VW should be fired along with the diesel cheaters.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
My worry is how it deals with more power, especially the torque that the Si's possible turbo engine will generate which should be more than the ILX's 180 lb-ft.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
My worry is how it deals with more power, especially the torque that the Si's possible turbo engine will generate which should be more than the ILX's 180 lb-ft.
I don't know much about DCT's, but maybe their strength is similar to manual transmissions? The weakness for most Honda MT's is the synchros and clutch (and sometimes diff). In extreme power applications, case flex is an issue (talking lots of HP though). So, maybe like a MT, the DCT can get revised clutchpacks and improved other bits to make it up to the task of more power? Some DCT's don't have synchros, they use the ECU/TCU to rev match during gear changes....just speculating

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think this time around Honda may do a dual mass flywheel (DMF) to help alleviate some of the stress a single mass puts on the clutch face and gearing. I think some of you know that DMFs are designed to absorb some of the twisting forces (and NVH) to reduce aggregate wear. The disadvantage is that the DMF is expensive and generally replaced during a typical clutch job. Most shops won't resurface a DMF.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
I think this time around Honda may do a dual mass flywheel (DMF) to help alleviate some of the stress a single mass puts on the clutch face and gearing. I think some of you know that DMFs are designed to absorb some of the twisting forces (and NVH) to reduce aggregate wear. The disadvantage is that the DMF is expensive and generally replaced during a typical clutch job. Most shops won't resurface a DMF.
DMF doesn't wear well though with high torque so it may limit tuning for really high power. Might require a single flywheel swap for high power builds.

But DMF should give silky smooth power. Only downside is the cost of replacement and better suited for lower torque applications.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think it depends on the type of DMF used. Mazda for example uses a Luk DMF/Clutch on the Mazdaspeed6 and Mazdaspeed3. And they are known to go 150-200K without ever changing the them. My own MS3 is at 152K on the original clutch/DMF @ 275 WHP.
Sponsored