The Oil Thread

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2.0L
Country flag
I was just looking over the UOA database and I don't see any advantage of any particular brand. Any positive experiences with Amsoil? Is it worth it?
Sponsored

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I was just looking over the UOA database and I don't see any advantage of any particular brand. Any positive experiences with Amsoil? Is it worth it?
Amsoil is good oil. No argument there. I’ve used it in the past. But after all these years and all the cars I’ve had, the question I ask myself is: is something like Amsoil really necessary? Under normal working conditions and oil change interval, is something like Amsoil (or Redline or whatever) going to do something that, say, Mobil 1 isn’t? I think used oil analyses would agree that no, Amsoil isn’t going to make a humongous difference over a quality readily available synthetic like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil in a Honda Civic. Even Amazon and Costco/Kirkland make a quality synthetic oil now days.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
Amsoil is good oil. No argument there. I’ve used it in the past. But after all these years and all the cars I’ve had, the question I ask myself is: is something like Amsoil really necessary? Under normal working conditions and oil change interval, is something like Amsoil (or Redline or whatever) going to do something that, say, Mobil 1 isn’t? I think used oil analyses would agree that no, Amsoil isn’t going to make a humongous difference over a quality readily available synthetic like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil in a Honda Civic. Even Amazon and Costco/Kirkland make a quality synthetic oil now days.
Yes, . . . OCI (oil change interval) is the key to engine protection. All synthetic oils are excellent today, even WalMart brand Super Tech is worthy to protect your Honda 1.5L Turbo for over 5K miles.

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
I've got almost 1300 miles on the ODO, and MM is reading 80%. From what I understand, the factory fill is just standard stuff, no added moly or other additives. Am I wrong here?
If I even dare to change my oil prematurely, and go against what the manual says (follow the MM!) I think the thread will be all over me like a bad rash.
There's also all those folks who claim "Dump that ish!"
I've read all the Oil Reports on the Honda 0w-20, and it all seems to be the same whether it's 4000 or 6000 miles, no problem.

Either way, I want to go Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a WIX XP filter.
Now question is 0w-20 or 5w-30 because I live in Florida.

I think I've just about bust open every controversial topic on this thread.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I've got almost 1300 miles on the ODO, and MM is reading 80%. From what I understand, the factory fill is just standard stuff, no added moly or other additives. Am I wrong here?
If I even dare to change my oil prematurely, and go against what the manual says (follow the MM!) I think the thread will be all over me like a bad rash.
I've read all the Oil Reports on the Honda 0w-20, and it all seems to be the same whether it's 4000 or 6000 miles, no problem.

5W-30 for Turbo . . . https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/1-5-turbo-answer-to-what-engine-oil-grades-are-allowed.11422/

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not sure I'd follow the EU info - USA Honda recommends 0W-20 only...
But, it's your car and you can follow/do anything you want.
I use the MM (down to 0%, or beyond) and the OM recommendation.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
Not sure I'd follow the EU info - USA Honda recommends 0W-20 only...
But, it's your car and you can follow/do anything you want.
I use the MM (down to 0%, or beyond) and the OM recommendation.
Hmm . . . US Honda engines are different than EU engines ? I didn't know this.

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
Yeah I've read that thread last night, and quite a few others on 5w-30, and all the oil analysis threads.
I live in Florida so we never see freezing temps and the added heat we have make it seem like a better choice for the 5w-30. I wouldn't call Florida dusty, but we do have a lot of moisture.

It's a toss up at this point, I may try one more run of 0w-20 and get an analysis done. If fuel dilution seems to be an issue then it's another reason to jump up to 5w-30... I'll dump the factory fill and go a round of PUP 0w-20 and see how that goes. I only average maybe 1200 miles a month, so when I get the next round done, I'll post the analysis to the forum... I apologize in advance for the long wait, and by then, no one will really care or we'll have a fancy glow-in-the-dark neon pink 0w-12 good for 30,000 miles or something....

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag

you are worrying and stressing about nothing,

change your oil early?....won't make any difference
listen to MM?....won't make any difference

honda oil?....won't make any difference
pennzoil oil?....won't make any difference

0w20?....won't make any difference
5w30?.....won't make any difference

none of those decisions are going to harm your engine, or help it in any way

how often do you hear of a honda engine having an oil related failure?

you have better odds of winning the lottery while being struck by lightning at the same time

quit worrying so much

Last edited:

JoeHonda

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring
Country flag
buy a fluid evacuator like a MityVac. Makes the A code oil changes (no filter, just fluid) incredibly easy. Just feed the tube down the dipstick and pump out the oil. Refill. Check the level. Done

1E0E5403-50AC-46B9-AA06-ABC49E3CCACF.jpeg
Thank you for this suggestion. I live in a condo that doesn't allow car work in the underground parking garage, and I wanted to replace my oil on a frequent basis so I bought one of these. It worked like a charm.

JoeHonda

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring
Country flag
Here's my UOA on my 2019 Civic Touring. It had 2700kms and the oil smelled like gas so I changed it and got it checked. Des[ite the strong smell of gas, the dilution wasn't that bad at all.

Attachments

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So I have a question in regards to what kind of oil to use.....I have a '20 Si w/ a TSP stage 1 tune and PRL Cobra CAI ( I have some other mods but nothing really related to engine yet). I will eventually get a Flex Fuel kit, an engine oil cooler, and upgrade the intercooler. Living in SoCal and the fact that I like to do a lot of 'spirited driving' and will eventually get a professional tune after the above upgrades, would going to a 0w30 or 5w30 yield any benefits in engine/turbo longevity? Is it worth the jump? Or should I keep it at 0w20 and just change more often? Curious of peoples opinion, thanks.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
So I have a question in regards to what kind of oil to use.....I have a '20 Si w/ a TSP stage 1 tune and PRL Cobra CAI ( I have some other mods but nothing really related to engine yet). I will eventually get a Flex Fuel kit, an engine oil cooler, and upgrade the intercooler. Living in SoCal and the fact that I like to do a lot of 'spirited driving' and will eventually get a professional tune after the above upgrades, would going to a 0w30 or 5w30 yield any benefits in engine/turbo longevity? Is it worth the jump? Or should I keep it at 0w20 and just change more often? Curious of peoples opinion, thanks.
The difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30 is the cold start flow, which living in So Calif isn't important because it doesn't get cold (I live there too.) I'd go for the 5w-30 because it will protect your engine slightly better when you are hammering on it compared to a 20 weight oil.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30 is the cold start flow, which living in So Calif isn't important because it doesn't get cold (I live there too.) I'd go for the 5w-30 because it will protect your engine slightly better when you are hammering on it compared to a 20 weight oil.
I was thinking the same, just wanted to get someone else’s opinion. Thanks for the perspective ??

CTRismybeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 E90 M3 & 2019 FK8 CTR
Country flag
That and the fact that one would need to be cold starting below -35C/-31F for 0w to have any value. The 0w20 spec is Honda chasing a dynamic viscosity.
Sponsored