SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I’m convinced oil dilution is a non problem as long as you actually drive your car more than 3 miles a day.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
if it was a non problem, honda would not be admitting that there IS A PROBLEM!!
When did Honda admit there is a civic oil dilution problem? Have I missed something?
They extended the powertrain warranty to encourage a "continued customer confidence" in their products.... :cool: They extended the warranty to assure there is no problem with increased engine wear. Can you quote any Honda words admitting there is a problem?

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
he didn’t say oil dilution is not a problem completely... but that it is a non problem as long as you actually drive your car more than 3 miles a day. So if you don’t drive your car enough, it could be a problem

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
It is a problem for people who don’t drive enough and idle too much. Which is the case for a lot of people, so they have to admit there is an issue. They can’t tell you to drive the car exactly how they intended it to be driven. You own the car, you should be able to drive it the way you want (except for actual abuse) and not have issues like this.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
well then it is a problem, you can't sell a car under those stipulations,
Why would you say "you can't" while you know Honda is currently selling these cars in large numbers. Yes, you can.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
They are selling them to uneducated people who don't know about the problem,

How many people do you think would buy them after having the conversation I listed above?

I sure as heck wouldn't buy one, my wife DOES WORK 5 mins away from our house, I am glad, and thankful I have a 2.0
Well I must be an idiot then. I was well aware of the fuel dilution and still bought one.
I only checked and found out that high mileage Turbo Civics are still running fine.
Do we have any knowledge of Turbo Civics rendered useless by fuel dilution?

One thing I know for sure. The PCV in this car does an amazing job. I installed identical oil catch cans in both of my cars and the amount of fluid collected is a lot bigger in the K20 equipped car...

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They are selling them to uneducated people who don't know about the problem,

How many people do you think would buy them after having the conversation I listed above?

I sure as heck wouldn't buy one, my wife DOES WORK 5 mins away from our house, I am glad, and thankful I have a 2.0
I was not told by Honda, the dealer, or the salesman. I learned about it when I saw the oil rise on the dipstick in my car. And this would not stop me from buying another one.

Your 2.0, like any other ICE engine, will also suffer from driving two separate 5 min. runs a day, particularly in a colder climate, unless you are leasing it, or you change your oil according to severe service schedule. Your MM should be telling you to change the oil more often. If it doesn't, I would recommend to change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
no it won't,

and no it doesn't,

your talking nonsense,

2.0L does not have the fuel dilution issues that the 1.5L GDI does

my oil analysis was perfect after the last change, and that change was done after 14 MONTHS and 15% on the MM,

it likely could have gone another 6 months and still been fine,

try doing that with a 1.5L
lol yes, it will. This isn’t related to oil dilution, and it is nothing new. All manufacturers have a “severe service” schedule for cars driven under severe conditions. Frequent short trips is considered a severe condition, and maintenance items including oil changes should be performed earlier.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2009/10/aa...ve-under-severe-conditions-do-not-realize-it/

https://www.noln.net/articles/2387-educating-your-customers-on-the-new-definition-of-severe-driving

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
yes i agree, you must be
Wow, thank you.
That's ok, I still prefer to feel that push in the back of the seat every time I accelerate.
Tell us, how many Turbo Civics have you seen on the side of the road, all dead from fuel dilution?
How many UOA with elevated wear numbers caused by fuel dilution? Show us one, please.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my oil analysis proves otherwise,

but nice try
I'm so jealous. :cry:We all know how horrible the oil analyses come for the 1.5T used oil. You could fabricate a nice knife blade from all the metals in one tray of my oil...... :rofl:

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my oil analysis proves otherwise,

but nice try
The only thing your oil analysis “proves” is that the oil you’re using puts up with your driving conditions. That doesn’t mean the conditions are not considered severe

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
When the 10th Gen Civic was introduced, SN/GF-5 was the standard for oil. With the newer SP/GF-6 oils coming out, is anyone making the switch, or see any reason to go against what Honda says to use, even if the newer oils are held to a higher standard?
I can't see any harm, does anyone else agree (or disagree)?

Rob2112

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
When the 10th Gen Civic was introduced, SN/GF-5 was the standard for oil. With the newer SP/GF-6 oils coming out, is anyone making the switch, or see any reason to go against what Honda says to use, even if the newer oils are held to a higher standard?
I can't see any harm, does anyone else agree (or disagree)?
GF-6 I think that's all we'll need
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum being my preference.
Sponsored