SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Does anyone know why the dealer doesn't use 0w-20 full synthetic for our FK7 cars?
I just went to the dealer for an oil change and once again they used 0w-20 synthetic blend, even after I had asked them for full synthetic since my engine is turbo.

the paperwork states that I "request for premium oil & filter change" yet it also states that synthetic blend was used from the bulk bins. Am I missing something???

Toyota always used full synthetic for 0w-20 in my corolla. Didn't even have to ask the fuckers.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Does anyone know why the dealer doesn't use 0w-20 full synthetic for our FK7 cars?
I just went to the dealer for an oil change and once again they used 0w-20 synthetic blend, even after I had asked them for full synthetic since my engine is turbo.

the paperwork states that I "request for premium oil & filter change" yet it also states that synthetic blend was used from the bulk bins. Am I missing something???

Toyota always used full synthetic for 0w-20 in my corolla. Didn't even have to ask the fuckers.
To me that sounds like a simple disconnect between the advisor and service crew at the dealer. I'd suggest bringing your own oil, even if it were Honda full synthetic.

So here is both of my oil analysies! One is of my engine running Mobil 1 0W-20 EP, the other is 'virgin' 0W-20 Amazon Basics Full Synthetic oil.
Really good readouts, thanks for sharing.

At this point I think it's safe to say that Amazon's oil is legit for the price.

Posting this blog post here as I think it can very helpful to many members.

https://www.27won.com/blog/the-great-oil-debate-civicx
Great info, and agree on all points. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Here's an update on my oil. 1.8% fuel dilution. Checked my dipstick on my oil last week and it's above what I initially filled it at. So I suspect more fuel dilution as well. Recently my trips to work have only been about 15 minutes on local streets, so that may be one of the reasons too...
Running on Amsoil synthetic and 91 octane gas.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread oil

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Kirkland Signature (Costco) is also made by Warren Distribution and this is disclosed on the jugs. As far as I remember the current Walmart Super Tech doesn't show the name of the manufacturer.

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First oil change on a 2020 EX hatch at 4055 miles. Fuel smell in the cabin on restarts after sitting for a short period, and a rising dipstick level from when the car was first delivered. If the car sits for several hours, there is no fuel smell on restart. MM indicated 60% oil life at the time of the oil change.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread Oil sample 03032020

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First oil change on a 2020 EX hatch at 4055 miles. Fuel smell in the cabin on restarts after sitting for a short period, and a rising dipstick level from when the car was first delivered. If the car sits for several hours, there is no fuel smell on restart. MM indicated 60% oil life at the time of the oil change.
So how much did the oil level rise?

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So how much did the oil level rise?
It went above the orange plastic portion on the dipstick. I didn't precisely measure the amount, but when I emptied my oil drain pan into a one gallon jug, it filled an empty one completely and some more went into a partially full jug.

For full disclosure, I also did not check the level when I first bought the car, so no idea on what the starting point was. After this oil change, I'll obviously know where I started from, and I plan to send a sample again on the next change.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Appears that the “fuel dilution” decreases the Flashpoint and Viscosity of oil.
Lesson learned from those that have shared is; increase oil change frequency at pr about 3500-4000mi (for optimum protection).
If you have increased engine duty with additional power and use it with frequency, then move your oil change cycle to the left by <800mi.
Keeping with a more aggressive oil change and using a brand that contains higher levels of detergents, will keep your engine running strong.

Last edited:

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
It went above the orange plastic portion on the dipstick. I didn't precisely measure the amount, but when I emptied my oil drain pan into a one gallon jug, it filled an empty one completely and some more went into a partially full jug.

For full disclosure, I also did not check the level when I first bought the car, so no idea on what the starting point was. After this oil change, I'll obviously know where I started from, and I plan to send a sample again on the next change.
I purchased my CPO 2017 Civic Touring with 21,000 miles at the end of Dec 2019. When I checked the oil level a week later, it was 3-4mm above the orange plastic. It seems it was overfilled when the dealer changed the oil prior to sale. Within 2000 miles, or 2 months, I changed the oil and 4.8 qts of oil came out. I was shocked to see how much overfill the dealerships had pushed into this little engine. Anyhow, I added the 3.7qts and over the last 1500 miles, the oil level has not changed. My wife is the DD for this car and she averaged 350-400 miles a week and so far things are looking good. Maybe yours was overfilled from the factory as well?

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe yours was overfilled from the factory as well?
I definitely should have checked it on day one. I did check the tire pressure, but not the oil level. You would think with the automation of modern manufacturing that the oil would be metered somehow when initially filling the engine.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Appears that the “fuel dilution” decreases the Flashpoint and Viscosity of oil.
Of course it does, and in fact that's how Blackstone Labs estimates the fuel content in oil. The 3.5% dilution number in the results above is derived from the 315 F flashpoint number. The one that's actually measured is the flashpoint. The % dilution is calculated. The accuracy of the estimate depends on the accuracy of reference data on the effect of gasoline content on the flashpoint of oil. This method would require data on all the combinations of gasoline blend + oil mixtures. They are unable to take these differences into account, and I believe their % dilution numbers are somewhat underestimated.
This means effectively that their method assumes a higher volatility of gasoline over oil mixtures than it usually is. In reality, the volatility of fuel over some or all 0W20 oils may be less than expected (even by "Honda engineers"). This is also what may be causing higher than hoped for levels of oil dilution in the first place.

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Did anyone uses RAVENOL oils?
Sponsored