The Oil Thread

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I changed oil once without raising the car but it's a PITA. Now I put it on jackstands. I had ramps but they were too steep and I would have damaged the front bumper driving onto them. Also my car is 6MT so getting it up onto ramps might be pretty scary. Too easy to drive off of the end of the ramps.
Thaaaaat would be ugly.
Sponsored

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I changed oil once without raising the car but it's a PITA. Now I put it on jackstands. I had ramps but they were too steep and I would have damaged the front bumper driving onto them. Also my car is 6MT so getting it up onto ramps might be pretty scary. Too easy to drive off of the end of the ramps.
Thaaaaat would be ugly.
buy a fluid evacuator like a MityVac. Makes the A code oil changes (no filter, just fluid) incredibly easy. Just feed the tube down the dipstick and pump out the oil. Refill. Check the level. Done

Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread 1E0E5403-50AC-46B9-AA06-ABC49E3CCACF

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I agree with the oil drain plug and filter access. Same for a 2.0L sedan. Had to buy low rise ramps to allow my low profile racing jack to slide under to reach the center jacking point behind the engine, What was Honda thinking by relocating the front access center jacking point !

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
I've also heard good things about MityVac. As for me, I just finished building some low profile ramps and tested them out with an oil change.

I measure about a half quart of fuel dilution above the 3.7 quarts that I put in, per this pic showing what I just drained out. About a month ago I had a sample tested (Blackstone) and adding the report here. This was my 2nd oil change (10 months and 6200 miles on this oil), yes a low mileage car with lots of short drives (daily commute is 3 miles each way).

I have to agree with @Gruber and maybe others who've stated Blackstone's calculation for fuel dilution based on flashpoint can be off. Based on volume, with a quart half-quart of fuel in the oil am I not at 0.5 / 4.2 * 100 = 11.9%???? (vs. the 4.3% from the analysis)

fyi: here's my post for DIY ramps:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-scrap-lumber-strong-enough-for-a-jeep.48415/

Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread 2020-04-23 civic oil volume

Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread 2020-03-19 - 2018 civic HB sport report Pennzoil 0W-20

Last edited:

bigdogpapa

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Fit Ex-L CVT , 2019 Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Did anyone uses RAVENOL oils?
After a recommendation from a friend with an Audi A7, I did an oil/filter (Honda A01) change recently and used Ravenol 0W-20 EFS (PAO) fully synthetic (SN PLUS/RC). After about 500 miles I think the engine is smoother. Now it is difficult to tell if the engine is running at stoplights. As an added bonus fuel economy is up slightly.
At the same time I changed the MTF also using a Ravenol product (MTF-2). Shifting is noticeably smoother yet more defined and there is less tranny noise at all speeds. I solved the 2nd gear crunch by adjusting the CMC a week or so ago.
From my experience, I would highly recommend Ravenol products but a bit pricey. Both of these oils are available in the U.S. from Blauparts and If I recall correctly Amazon.

Reactions: DyM

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After a recommendation from a friend with an Audi A7, I did an oil/filter (Honda A01) change recently and used Ravenol 0W-20 EFS (PAO) fully synthetic (SN PLUS/RC). After about 500 miles I think the engine is smoother. Now it is difficult to tell if the engine is running at stoplights. As an added bonus fuel economy is up slightly.
At the same time I changed the MTF also using a Ravenol product (MTF-2). Shifting is noticeably smoother yet more defined and there is less tranny noise at all speeds. I solved the 2nd gear crunch by adjusting the CMC a week or so ago.
From my experience, I would highly recommend Ravenol products but a bit pricey. Both of these oils are available in the U.S. from Blauparts and If I recall correctly Amazon.
Just curious what you mean by "adjusting" the CMC - is there a writeup you were following?

bigdogpapa

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Fit Ex-L CVT , 2019 Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Just curious what you mean by "adjusting" the CMC - is there a writeup you were following?
Yes, there is an excellent and concise step by step post by Lust.
If you follow it completely it should work for the "2nd gear crunch".

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic 1.5T
Country flag
Ravenol uses very little and very high quality viscosity index improvers. It's a good, but expensive choice.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Here is my oil analysis, at 30k miles with Mobile1 0w-20 oil since new.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread oil analysis at 30k miles

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Forgot to pop this up here after my first oil change, the second will be coming soon enough.
First Oil Change on Civic Sport K20C2 July 2020.png
I wonder... with only trace oil dilution, as it should be with a 2.0L, why is the 100 ° C viscosity of your oil as low as it is. The Honda Synthetic Ultimate 0W20 seems to be specified at about 8.8 cSt. At 6.8 cSt it is in range, but noticeably reduced after 5600 miles.

The post just above shows 1.5T after 3500 miles on Mobil 1 0W20, and they say the oil dilution is OK at 1.5%, but "keep a close eye on it, to be sure it doesn't reach 2.0% or more, that often shows a problem."
In this case the viscosity is 6.66 cSt, so considering the Mobil 1 0W20's specified viscosity is 8.6 - 8.7 cSt, the viscosity drop in both cases is exactly the same.

So it seems from these two examples that 5600 miles on 2.0L produced the same oil viscosity reduction as 3500 miles on 1.5T.

Of course oil viscosity is not the only effect of oil dilution, but it's a good indicator to monitor.

CTRismybeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 E90 M3 & 2019 FK8 CTR
Country flag
I wonder... with only trace oil dilution, as it should be with a 2.0L, why is the 100 ° C viscosity of your oil as low as it is. The Honda Synthetic Ultimate 0W20 seems to be specified at about 8.8 cSt. At 6.8 cSt it is in range, but noticeably reduced after 5600 miles.

The post just above shows 1.5T after 3500 miles on Mobil 1 0W20, and they say the oil dilution is OK at 1.5%, but "keep a close eye on it, to be sure it doesn't reach 2.0% or more, that often shows a problem."
In this case the viscosity is 6.66 cSt, so considering the Mobil 1 0W20's specified viscosity is 8.6 - 8.7 cSt, the viscosity drop in both cases is exactly the same.

So it seems from these two examples that 5600 miles on 2.0L produced the same oil viscosity reduction as 3500 miles on 1.5T.

Of course oil viscosity is not the only effect of oil dilution, but it's a good indicator to monitor.
Fuel shear usually equalizes at around 1,000 miles, often less, in my experience.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I haven't seen any UOA evidenced that Amsoil or any other boutique brand holds up better than Mobil 1 or Pennzoil.
True. The transmission on my other car crapped out when using highly recommended Amsoil MTF too.

Jimmou

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's my oil report on my '19 SI. After a grueling hot summer here in central California, I was wondering if I needed to make the switch to 0W-30 oil next summer. Since the report looks great I'll just continue running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread 19CivicSI.PNG
Sponsored