MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I'd really like to use Amsoil SS 0W20 but after looking at my Canadian Owners manual for my '18 Hatchback LX 1.5T, I fear that Amsoil Signature Series is missing one very important part for keeping my warranty in check..the lack of the API Certification seal.
Does Amsoil SS have the cert. seal doughnut/starburst on their containers anywhere??

Screenshot_20190220-152639_Drive.jpg
If the oil meets the API service rating of SN, as stated in your Owner's Manual, it is acceptable and safe. Every oil has a rating and whether a "seal" or not, rating code is the factor for serviceable use in your engine.
Sponsored

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT, 2002 Honda Accord SE 5MT
Country flag
I know where you are coming from, this did not look like an official badge API or ACEA approved in the first place. However, most oil producers don't mention any oil standard if they don't meet them at all. Look at Fuchs Titan pro s, Motul 300v or millers oils. They say they exceed any oil standard however do not put any recommendation as Amsoil does.

We will se what my dealer says. Aren't all of you using Amsoil potentially voiding your warranty as it does not meet API SM or SN like mentioned in the manual?

Edit: Nevermid, forgot about your Magnusson act.
What did your dealer say about the lack of API certification seal on the Amsoil SS?
I'd love to use it but fear Ill void warranty.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
Go look at the analysis reports.

This isn't a marketing scheme. A marketing scheme is Apple selling $1000 iPhones with 3 year old processors and $5000 Mac that contain $1500 worth of hardware while proclaiming they're the best.

There is a big difference between Honda's OEM oil and AMSOIL. There's a difference, tho not very big, between AMSOIL and Mobil 1. You just have to decide for yourself which product your comfortable running.
Scheme . . . is a devious way to do something wrong. Marketing is not neccessarily a scheme, but a way to sell a service or product. Amsoil/Royal Purple may be marketing in a way to convince you that their oil will perform better than other oils when all oils must meet a standard rating. Add a little more/different additives or make it "special use" (annual protection, high revving, increase horsepower and/or mileage) "adds value" to the user and increases cost. In the long run, complying with a manufacturers' OCI while using an approved API rated oil "adds value" in maintaining engine performance and life.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I'd really like to use Amsoil SS 0W20 but after looking at my Canadian Owners manual for my '18 Hatchback LX 1.5T, I fear that Amsoil Signature Series is missing one very important part for keeping my warranty in check..the lack of the API Certification seal.
Does Amsoil SS have the cert. seal doughnut/starburst on their containers anywhere??

Screenshot_20190220-152639_Drive.jpg
They just didnt have seal printed. The oil meets API requirements

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Scheme . . . is a devious way to do something wrong. Marketing is not neccessarily a scheme, but a way to sell a service or product. Amsoil/Royal Purple may be marketing in a way to convince you that their oil will perform better than other oils when all oils must meet a standard rating. Add a little more/different additives or make it "special use" (annual protection, high revving, increase horsepower and/or mileage) "adds value" to the user and increases cost. In the long run, complying with a manufacturers' OCI while using an approved API rated oil "adds value" in maintaining engine performance and life.
I understand English. My analogy stands true. Marketing yourself as the something you are not is most certainly a scheme.

In most cases yes, sticking to the manufacture OCI is sufficient. For me tho, I ran my Honda OEM oil to 10,000mi and my MM was still at 15%. Indicating I could have driven another 1500 miles on that oil. I sent it out for analysis and the report was borderline bad. The oil had sheered to about a 0w8 viscosity but wear metals were still good. I switched to AMSOIL and ran the exact same mileage and got another analysis done. The oil was still 0w20 and wear metals were better than good.

I get really tired of having debates with people over oil quality when they are using their feelings as facts. I have actual real facts to back up what I'm saying. I read every analysis that comes in.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703

Last edited:

B0nez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si Coupe | '08 FJ Cruiser | '05 Jeep LJ
Country flag
In most cases yes, sticking to the manufacture OCI is sufficient. For me tho, I ran my Honda OEM oil to 10,000mi and my MM was still at 15%. Indicating I could have driven another 1500 miles on that oil. I sent it out for analysis and the report was borderline bad. The oil had sheered to about a 0w8 viscosity but wear metals were still good. I switched to AMSOIL and ran the exact same mileage and got another analysis done. The oil was still 0w20 and wear metals were better than good.

I get really tired of having debates with people over oil quality when they are using their feelings as facts. I have actual real facts to back up what I'm saying. I read every analysis that comes in.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703
I really appreciate you putting this together and maintaining it - it's a help for everyone interested in seeing the facts. Is there a thread with a list of all the analysis results ranked in order of best protection to least protection without having to download and read through each analysis report?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really appreciate you putting this together and maintaining it - it's a help for everyone interested in seeing the facts. Is there a thread with a list of all the analysis results ranked in order of best protection to least protection without having to download and read through each analysis report?
That's a great suggestion... but I'm not about to take that on.

Somebody who is better with data management and statistics than I am could probably come up with a good Excel sheet to accomplish that. Maybe somebody will take that on. I wouldn't mind helping populate the data once the infrastructure is in place.

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They just didnt have seal printed. The oil meets API requirements

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf
It doesnt though, it exceeds API certification parameters and therefore is not API Certified. I'm not looking to argue about its quality by any means, I believe it to be the best, just as all the analyses show.
If Signature Series is API certified, Amsoil would put the API certified badge on the bottle; just as they do for their XL and OE engine oils.
I want to use SS but I don't want to give Honda Canada any ammunition should I ever end up in a warranty battle down the road.
Has anyone here in Canada been able to get their dealership to give the green light to use Amsoil Signature Series while still in warranty period?

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
What did your dealer say about the lack of API certification seal on the Amsoil SS?
I'd love to use it but fear Ill void warranty.
Bottom line - if the quality of the oil is called into question during a warranty claim, the lack of an API seal "could" work against you.

That said, Amsoil's reputation makes it highly unlikely that this would ever come up as a concern. The data alone speaks for itself.

That's somewhat of a rabbit hole depending on the environment in which the analysis was performed. For example, several of our samples come from modded platforms that operate well outside of factory parameters.

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This may be a dumb question so I apologize in advance if so...

Are there any 0W20's available that meet Honda HTO-06 specs?
I see some in the 5W30 but I can't seem to find a single one in 0W20.

There must be a reason for this!?

jaydan1020

First Name
Jaydan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cjsynthetic.myamsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si. 2019 CR-V
Country flag
This may be a dumb question so I apologize in advance if so...

Are there any 0W20's available that meet Honda HTO-06 specs?
I see some in the 5W30 but I can't seem to find a single one in 0W20.

There must be a reason for this!?
Dude just go to Amsoil’s website and/or google and you’ll find all the information you need.

Here’s my website cjsynthetic.myamsoil.com

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dude just go to Amsoil’s website and/or google and you’ll find all the information you need.

Here’s my website cjsynthetic.myamsoil.com
That's just it though..been thoroughly through AMSOIL's site (their SS 5w30 is HT0-06 but not 0w20) and all over GOOGLE and can't find a single 0w20 that meets HONDA HTO-06 specs. Seems the only HONDA/ACURA motor that required the HTO-06 was the RDX.

I know that our current civic motor doesn't require the HT0-06 but I was more curious than anything why there aren't 0w20's with this rating available.

There must be a reason for this..Jaydan1020 I will go to your site! Thanks!

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
That's just it though..been thoroughly through AMSOIL's site (their SS 5w30 is HT0-06 but not 0w20) and all over GOOGLE and can't find a single 0w20 that meets HONDA HTO-06 specs. Seems the only HONDA/ACURA motor that required the HTO-06 was the RDX.

I know that our current civic motor doesn't require the HT0-06 but I was more curious than anything why there aren't 0w20's with this rating available.

There must be a reason for this..Jaydan1020 I will go to your site! Thanks!
Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread upload_2019-3-8_14-1-37
Sponsored