The Oil Thread

CTRismybeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 E90 M3 & 2019 FK8 CTR
Country flag
The difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30 is the cold start flow, which living in So Calif isn't important because it doesn't get cold (I live there too.) I'd go for the 5w-30 because it will protect your engine slightly better when you are hammering on it compared to a 20 weight oil.
That and the fact that one would need to be cold starting below -35C/-31F for 0w to have any value. The 0w20 spec is Honda chasing a dynamic viscosity.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
That and the fact that one would need to be cold starting below -35C/-31F for 0w to have any value. The 0w20 spec is Honda chasing a dynamic viscosity.
Why is Honda chasing a dynamic viscosity?

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Latest UOA attached. Mobile 1 EP 0W-20. I wanted another readout after upgrading from the K-Tuner Base Map to TSP.

Sample taken within 30 min following an 11 mile drive. Driven mostly on Map 2.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread UOA_2020-11-24

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey y'all! It's been a whole year since I last changed my oil. I normally change it every 6 months. I went ahead and did it with Amazon Basic 0W-20 Synthetic oil, the same one I sent in for a fresh analysis when I first got it. I think this oil reading will be the first time I did a full run with the Amazon oil, so it's gonna be interesting to see the results. Of course, I haven't driven much the last 9 months (have any of us?) but I've driven enough that the oil got a little more than 5500 miles of use. Can't wait for the report!

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread Oil Analysis December 2020

Here's my report! And that's the last time I'll be changing the oil in this car since I will be selling this current car and getting a new one. What a good run I had in maintaining the engine for the last three and a half years and 36k miles. Woohoo.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
Good to see Amazon Basic Synthetic oil performs well, it's not all about the oil brand but mainly the OCI. Go save some money and buy Amazon, Pep Boys, O'Reilly or even WalMart brand synthetic oils. Thanks .

Polekitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sedan / 2018 CR-V EX
Country flag
Ok maybe a stupid question. What's wrong with using the Honda Full Syn oil that the dealer does? it can't be the price. I just looked up all of my receipts and it doesn't cost much at all. Am I missing something?