**The Official FK8 Aftermarket Turbo Solutions and Technical Discussion Thread**

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
Blue - RS-450v2, FSU on 93 octane.

Red - RS-450v1 FSU on E30.

Green - RS450v1 FSU on 93 octane.

Orange- RS450v1 stock fuel system on 93 octane.

1616611764747.jpeg
Out of curiosity, do we have what this car ran before the RS450 on the stock fuel system?

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag
Out of curiosity, do we have what this car ran before the RS450 on the stock fuel system?
These pulls where done on the stock turbo, stock fuel system on 93 octane, at the time it wasn’t tunes by Derf.
Honda Civic 10th gen **The Official FK8 Aftermarket Turbo Solutions and Technical Discussion Thread** 1616617706802

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Hello folks!

I just want to keep this thread alive.

Finally I was able to rent the dyno, I had to wait 6 hours until the last car finished. I was trying to rent the dyno about three weeks ago unlucky everything was already booked. My main concern was knowing where the TQ peak was at.

Before hit the dyno I did a street tune after the MAF and turbo upgrade.

This is my personal R, so here we go..

MODS;

Hondata fuel system

Turbo MHI Stage 2

Mishimoto Intercooler

Custom Intake

Rampage 3.5 MAF

RV6 Catless downpipe

RV6 Front pipe.

Exhaust Hooker Blackheart

Fuel pump 93 octane.

The temps in the shop were around 87F degrees, humidity 26.1 barometric pressure 29.6, this is not the best scenario, but not the worst.

Smoothness =0

I was very surprised how nice the street tuning came out using Vdyno as a reference.

Tuning on the dyno:

I crank up a little bit the torque but then I backed out because saw the torque a little bit too early (around 3600 rpm 380WTQ and peak at 4800 rpm 408WTQ), definitely I could get 450 WTQ easily according the calibration (the air charge at the middle range was very conservative).

I'm just trying to preserve the rods. I’ve seen many other stock block holding 500WHP and 490WTQ but I haven’t found any long term review at the moment. I honestly don’t think this is going to last longer due too much stress to the rods and pistons.

I tried to push a little bit more, but I didn't notice big chances, so I backed out. I could get more power? Yes! Absolutely but I didn't want to change the ignition timing already optimized for the street .

Using other fuel I could get at least 20~30 WHP on race gas 100 octane , E50 or maybe E85, is something I will try in the future.

Turbo was constantly pushing 30 psi and 31 psi peak, it does has more room, probably con go up to 34 PSI MAX.

The fuel system was at 83 % peak, stills has room for more.

The MAF was at 4.86 V, so it does has more room.

I'm very happy how the results came out just with the street tuning and were the torque is at.

Maybe some of you are wondering why I decided to go with MHI stage 2 and not PRL P600 or Rampage RS-550?

Well, my decision was based on 1) Budget, 2) reliability 3) lead times with the car parked.

The PRL P600 was discarded right away due long wait period (No immediately stock). Number 2 was Rampage RS-550 and maybe the RS -450, but I had to send my core to them and wait for receive the core back. I reach out to Rampage and Mitch was very flexible, he gave me many options but at that moment my budget was too tight and we couldn’t make it work. I want to clarify this is my daily and my ONLY car. I'm at 37k miles 27k miles tuned and pushing the car up to the rev limiter EVERY day! Yes! Just because I love how the exhaust sounds at high RPM range LOL .

I use this car for daily, track (road course) and drag racing.

The first option wasn't hard at all, Jon Guerra from

Full-Race Motorsports

Sent me the turbo just a few days after I ordered. They have a top notch customer service. I can't be happier!

MHI as you guys already knows is the same manufacture of our stock turbo this was a plus.

Funny thing after I ordered the turbo, I commented very excited to another R friend and he right away sent me a video from YouTube showing some issues with MHI turbo for the 1.5L platform, so I was very scared to install the turbo in the beginning. Thinking on if should I keep it or sell it.

After a while I decided to give it a try, and he we are!! Super happy how good responsive is this turbo and how much room it has for just for be a bolt on turbo. Yes I kwon is not ball baring, but to be honest I love how response is. Definitely you lose some crisp response at very low rpm ( 2500 to 3500) but is not too noticeable, I noticed because I'm very OCD with turbo lag or response. One thing is when the turbo get boost at 20 to 25 psi and another is the response at low end, and this is amazing for what it is.

Here some dyno graph base line (street tuning) and after dyno.

PD: I was soo tired the car was ready and strapped at 1:00 AM, so I did what I could in one hour, I was so exhausted and annoyed by the time and I just wanted to go home.

The dyno afr has some wiring issues and causing some noise in the signal, that's why we cut the last graph rpm at top end , was showing around 47X WHP.

EDIT: next day I tested the car , did some pulls and checked the logs, I noticed with 91F ambient temps I saw some peaks of boost at 33 PSI at 6900 RPM, the waste gate was at 1.9mm , (almost maxed out) but I’m stills surprised how efficient is this turbo. Also I noticed the MAF readings 4.88 V peak. So yes, is maxed out, it just has 0.02 millivolts to reach 4.9V .

I want to clarify the dyno I used usually I got lower readings compared to others. When I get the chance I will be testing same calibration in another dyno.

(1) Dyno tuning 4-16-2021-84 F degrees - YouTube

Honda Civic 10th gen **The Official FK8 Aftermarket Turbo Solutions and Technical Discussion Thread** IMG_0957.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen **The Official FK8 Aftermarket Turbo Solutions and Technical Discussion Thread** IMG_0958.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen **The Official FK8 Aftermarket Turbo Solutions and Technical Discussion Thread** IMG_0959.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen **The Official FK8 Aftermarket Turbo Solutions and Technical Discussion Thread** IMG_0960.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen **The Official FK8 Aftermarket Turbo Solutions and Technical Discussion Thread** IMG_0967.JPG