nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
What is going to be the next important innovation?

The other day I was comparing my Civic 2018 to an older Passat 2004 and the only huge difference I can find is the Adaptive Cruise Control. I think that the ACC really helps in long trips (and rush hour!) and it is something we did not have 15 years ago and we cannot somehow add or replicate in an older car. Sure, there are many other nice things that are useful, android auto, GPS, backup cameras, auto high beams and so on, but I really cannot think anything which transforms your driving experience and you cant add to an older car.

Also, I don't think that any other cars on the market today have something fundamentally innovative that a Civic doesn't have. The only exception might be the Tesla autopilot with its software upgrade capability.

So ... what innovations do you expect to have in the future that we cannot have today? How far in the future? 2025? 2035?
Sponsored

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
What is going to be the next important innovation?

The other day I was comparing my Civic 2018 to an older Passat 2004 and the only huge difference I can find is the Adaptive Cruise Control. I think that the ACC really helps in long trips (and rush hour!) and it is something we did not have 15 years ago and we cannot somehow add or replicate in an older car. Sure, there are many other nice things that are useful, android auto, GPS, backup cameras, auto high beams and so on, but I really cannot think anything which transforms your driving experience and you cant add to an older car.

Also, I don't think that any other cars on the market today have something fundamentally innovative that a Civic doesn't have. The only exception might be the Tesla autopilot with its software upgrade capability.

So ... what innovations do you expect to have in the future that we cannot have today? How far in the future? 2025? 2035?
If I think of something I’ll patent it before I post because I came up with the idea of ACC about 30 years ago :)

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can’t stress how good ACC is. I feel so spoiled. Makes me happy Honda gave it to all the trims, even the base. Makes my commute to work on the freeway much more relaxing. But I’d like them to probably add the blind spot monitoring next. Not the little camera that bulges out the right mirror, the actual thing. After driving my friends SUV, I think it’s miles better and safer imo.
-
When it comes to “the next big thing”. I’m unsure, think they might take some notes from BMW /Audi. They seem to be the lead of “innovation” as they say. Probably attempt to bring laser headlights to the Honda/Acura line?

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
It could be my fever talking, but hear me out. Networked Cruise Control... basically eliminate traffic. Cars would not just see the world around them through sensors and cameras, but would share information with the cars around them and along their intended path. Lane changes and rerouting could be performed miles before a camera or sensor could possibly see. Rows of networked cars would automatically open up a gap to allow other cars to merge, without dramatically slowing down the pace of traffic.

In a perfect world, chains of such networked cars could tailgate each other for improved fuel economy, essentially drafting like a Nascar train, reducing fuel/battery consumption.

Leonidas I

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic HBS
Country flag
It could be my fever talking, but hear me out. Networked Cruise Control... basically eliminate traffic. Cars would not just see the world around them through sensors and cameras, but would share information with the cars around them and along their intended path. Lane changes and rerouting could be performed miles before a camera or sensor could possibly see. Rows of networked cars would automatically open up a gap to allow other cars to merge, without dramatically slowing down the pace of traffic.

In a perfect world, chains of such networked cars could tailgate each other for improved fuel economy, essentially drafting like a Nascar train, reducing fuel/battery consumption.
I've had a super similar idea for like probably 15 years, ever since I was kid. Except I thought it'd be better if we made the roads railroads so you could fit more vehicles on the road and make things a little less variable as to when someone could change lanes. They'd have to be connected to bluetooth or some similiar technology or maybe even radio so the cars communication system could send out info for miles. Like if an accident occured all the vehicles behind the crash would gradually start to slow down so that no one would be completely stopped and the accident would have minimal impact on the flow of traffic.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
I think the innovation that you might be missing here is safety. I'm sure the 2018 Civic is miles safer than the 2004 passat. It's just something you don't really notice until you're in an accident yk

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
This is an interesting question and I think a few of the above have hit the nail on the head. Near future (within the next 5-10 years or so, depending on 5g roll-out) will have networked cars that constantly talk to each other and if auto-pilot isn't standard a heads-up display will be, that says "hey, move over yonder", or "accident ahead, slow down". Once we get to the point of all cars being networked and essentially driverless, the cars that are driven by drivers (in old junky cars, ha!) are relegated to back roads, we'll be able to drive at like 1 million miles an hour. Once we are all ok, mentally, with not driving our cars I think we'll start trading windows for monitors so we can watch commercials during our commute.

On another kind of related note, on my Roku I have Pluto TV, which has a "This Old House" channel. I watch it a lot and it's fascinating how much changes over the course of 10 years or so. I just watched an episode last night where they talked about $100 LED can lights and how they were the newest tech and the greatest. I haven't shopped for can lights but I know you can almost steal an LED lightbulb nowadays, they are so cheap. I've also seen episodes where they install home theater setups and wires go all over etc. Times and technology changing is neat!

OP
OP
nick94

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
For the next 5-10 years, the only realistic innovation I can think of, that goes beyond what we have now, is autonomous driving. Perhaps not 100% autonomous, and probably not for all roads and conditions, but at least on the freeways with normal driving conditions.

The other feature we may get is "upgradeability". I hope that soon Honda and the other manufacturers will adopt the feature of providing software upgrades (like Tesla is already doing). Also, adding sensors does not cost that much and it should be offered as an option that improves the value and the safety of our cars. In the 11-gen Civics perhaps they can offer an additional technology package that includes more sensors and continuous software upgrades. It would be interesting if our cars get better every year, without having to buy a new car to get a new feature!

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
I personally would not like autonomous driving (i like driving) but yes it does make sense to be a future trend.

I think that we will see increase in electric cars and decrease gas-powered ones as years go by (iirc, VW said something along the line that they are moving to electric cars). I think that hydrogen-powered cars will be more convenient though.
I think I won't mind electric cars as long as they allow us speed for spirited driving. I mean before, I did not like automatic transmission, but am liking the CVT now.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Honda is moving to all electric bro. At most 1 more generation of gas powered vehicles.

OP
OP
nick94

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I personally would not like autonomous driving (i like driving) but yes it does make sense to be a future trend.

I think that we will see increase in electric cars and decrease gas-powered ones as years go by (iirc, VW said something along the line that they are moving to electric cars). I think that hydrogen-powered cars will be more convenient though.
I think I won't mind electric cars as long as they allow us speed for spirited driving. I mean before, I did not like automatic transmission, but am liking the CVT now.
Autonomous driving does not mean that they will remove the driving wheel! It is and it will remain an option, like the ACC.

Most of us spend over 95% of our time in mundane driving, commuting, and so on, and I am sure that most people would be pleased if the car can drive itself in those situations.

OP
OP
nick94

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Honda is moving to all electric bro. At most 1 more generation of gas powered vehicles.
I am not against electric cars, but realistically, I can't see this happening in the next 10-15 years. Most countries do not have the infrastructure to charge that many electric cars.

OP
OP
nick94

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
By the way, I asked Google that same question and I got this article:

https://www.t3.com/us/features/5-car-innovations-that-are-right-around-the-corner

1. IMPROVED ELECTRIC VEHICLES
2. QUICK AND WIRELESS CHARGING
3. FULLY AUTONOMOUS DRIVING SYSTEMS
4. VEHICLE-TO-VEHICLE AND VEHICLE-TO-INFRASTRUCTURE COMMUNICATION
5. CARS WITH ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

This is from 2018 ... and I don't see most of that imminent. It's really hard to predict the future, haha!

(Sure, we do have "improved" electric vehicles, but that's like saying next year we'll have improved smartphones... )

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag

so basically all cars self driving and self driving being MANDATORY when on or entering highways, thats the only way that could work, 1 car not being self driving would wreck that whole thing.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I am not against electric cars, but realistically, I can't see this happening in the next 10-15 years. Most countries do not have the infrastructure to charge that many electric cars.
Cars that can be charged while driving, like an "express lane" of sorts with wireless chargers in the road way so as you travel down the highway you can somewhat maintain the battery charge, this is what it will take for electric cars to become standard, that or rapid charging, like something that can absorb 300+ miles of range in under 5 minutes and current battery tech can't do that.

FULLY Autonomous Self Driving is the next big advancement for vehicles, all cars going electric could happen but would require major advances in battery and charging tech.

I would like near field communication so I could tell idiots to turn off their high beams when they are behind me and stuff like that, but I don't see that happening.
Sponsored