The most annoying thing about the 2020 type R

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
A stalk and a few lines of code I don’t want. I’m talking mostly about Honda sensing. I don’t like it.
This is a mindset I never understood. You can turn it all off and act as if it’s not there.

Do you realize how complicated the ECU is? Controlling literal combustion ? Or every other part of the car.
Sponsored

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is a mindset I never understood. You can turn it all off and act as if it’s not there.

Do you realize how complicated the ECU is? Controlling literal combustion ? Or every other part of the car.
the ecu receives a speed request from the bcm.. ecu doesent do anything in terms of sensing except close the throttle when the bcm tells it to. The abs brakes obviously. The bcm is the brain of the car and controls the ecu... thats the real workhorse.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag

Can you turn off a windshield replacement for triple the price?

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
My DRLs are always running when I have it in automatic. If the DRLs aren’t running, then the nighttime lights are on. The tail lights is a different story though, those will only go on during the day if I have the wipers going.

Probably true with mine, but the lack of an indicator light on the dash display makes me question what is actually illuminated. With my Audi at least, it was a lot clearer. Mind you, that's one of the very few things I liked better with the S5 than this car :).

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
All right. I will admit when I'm wrong. You got me with that windshield's are definitely more expensive with the sensing equipment, especially with the calibration afterwards.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Probably true with mine, but the lack of an indicator light on the dash display makes me question what is actually illuminated. With my Audi at least, it was a lot clearer. Mind you, that's one of the very few things I liked better with the S5 than this car :).
If there is nothing on the dash, then your DRL is running. The green headlight symbol should appear if your normal headlights are running (and this means your tail lights have a light illumination as well; so if you’re running the wipers, this will eventually turn on if you have it enabled). There is also a blue high beams light that appears if the high beams are being used (I’m not sure if this would illuminate if high beams are on with auto-high beams, but I assume it would). There is also a separate light for fog lights, those only will turn on if your head lights are turned on.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
No you can't but, to be fair, you can't turn on the K20C1 option in an Si. I'll take a few more unnecessary tech features I won't use for that.

Most annoying thing about a 2020 Type R? How about getting one.....

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
auto on/off headlights i’m cool with.

auto highbeams not so much. was on a roadtrip recently and was behind some idiot with no trailer lights on. the auto highbeams kept tripping out so i just disengaged them.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
If there is nothing on the dash, then your DRL is running. The green headlight symbol should appear if your normal headlights are running (and this means your tail lights have a light illumination as well; so if you’re running the wipers, this will eventually turn on if you have it enabled). There is also a blue high beams light that appears if the high beams are being used (I’m not sure if this would illuminate if high beams are on with auto-high beams, but I assume it would). There is also a separate light for fog lights, those only will turn on if your head lights are turned on.
Thanks! I did read the manual about this but kind of forgot most of it. Too many damn indicator thingies. I almost miss the days of analog displays and idiot lights. Well, almost. Don't want to have to mess with things like a choke ever again. Or those high-beam switches on the floor.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
i dont have any issues with my 2020. had a 2018 and glad i upgraded

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
I have no issues with the regular daytime running lights, they turn on/off as they should and the lights themselves are LED so you don't have to worry about wrecking them if they come on just for a couple seconds (like if you pull into a garage or tunnel) like you do Xenon/HIDs.

My complaint is the automatic high beams. They always come on in neighborhoods despite there being street lights, and there is no good outcome because I either blind other drivers, or look like an a-hole flashing other drivers when I quickly turn my lights off to kill the high beams, but back on for the normal headlights. They work fine on highways & back roads, quite well actually, but I wish they could be conditionally disabled below 80Km/h or something.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
I have no issues with the regular daytime running lights, they turn on/off as they should and the lights themselves are LED so you don't have to worry about wrecking them if they come on just for a couple seconds (like if you pull into a garage or tunnel) like you do Xenon/HIDs.

My complaint is the automatic high beams. They always come on in neighborhoods despite there being street lights, and there is no good outcome because I either blind other drivers, or look like an a-hole flashing other drivers when I quickly turn my lights off to kill the high beams, but back on for the normal headlights. They work fine on highways & back roads, quite well actually, but I wish they could be conditionally disabled below 80Km/h or something.
interesting, never had the slow speed problem. but sometimes when im carving around some backroad at night ill be beaming some poor guy in the face for like a second before the system turns off. or maybe im going a healthy speed and the system isnt as responsive as it *should be* lol

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
interesting, never had the slow speed problem. but sometimes when im carving around some backroad at night ill be beaming some poor guy in the face for like a second before the system turns off. or maybe im going a healthy speed and the system isnt as responsive as it *should be* lol
To be clear, it has nothing to do with speed, it's just that I primarily notice the issue on residential roads, where by the nature of the road, I am driving at 50Km/h or slower speeds in general. If I had the ability to set a speed threshold for the auto high-beams, it would mean that they would likely only turn on when I'm on a highway or back road where I find they work mostly as intended. I see now how my OP may have been confusing.
Sponsored