zGxgTa

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport 2017
Country flag
Hello what is the maximum boost and the safest for the cvt.
What is your homemade tune
Sponsored

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
I would suggest just using the stage 2 ktuner base tune for the peace of mind. You can get more aggressive but ehhh cvt is a cvt at the end of the day.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
It is not Boost. It is where in the RPM the torque is generated. The stock turbo is right at itā€™s pinnacle of getting out of efficiency even at 21psi. Harder to control the torque with the stock turbo due to its inability to expel exhaust efficiently enough; thus, torque generation
With a slightly larger turbo the torque can be controlled better and achieve more power on less boost w/o generating as much heat.
Since you are seemingly not custom tuned, stick with your KTuner Maps and donā€™t finagle with the Boost Tables

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
+1 for don't finagle

I've targeted 26psi before. Not worth it on the base model turbo, probably even the Si isn't too much better at that pressure. My current tune is good for 22-23psi. I've run a homemade tune that gets me mid 24psi. I have a few variations of it. They're good for straight-line, but I need to work on it some more for smoother drivability. I'm also planning to use the ECON Button as my hobo launch control.

IIRC these are my targets for that 24psi tune...

Slot 1 Normal: ~17.5psi (I have the boost for high load/throttle conditions; this is for local roads)
Slot 1 ECON: ~16psi (but I have to wring it out with rpms, keeping it 'econ')

Slot 2 Normal: ~21psi (comes on stronger than 1, focus on take-off and mid-range)
Slot 2 ECON: ~18psi (drives like more performant stock 'Normal'; gets better mpg too)

Slot 3 Normal: ~+24psi (increased redline let's it do what it'll do up top)
Slot 3 ECON: ~21psi

My fastest quarter time was on Slot 2 of an early version of this 24psi set of tunes. It had 21-22psi for that.

I'm considering upgrading the turbo inlet and intercooler (maybe just the charge pipes). I don't see much of a differential on the TC Pressure and the Manifold Pressure. But I imagine removing the charge pipe flexing and any restriction on the inlet to the turbo could improve performance by maintaining and aiding the boost being generated.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
It isn't the Turbo Inlet that is a restriction. A simple drop-in high flow filter would provide plenty of volume and velocity (on the stock box). Your boost is being generated by "torque" targeting, so if you really want to make the best of the small snail then a free flowing DP would provide that. I am not taking away from the fact that the stock DP is fine in of itself; I am simply trying to supplement what you are trying to achieve.
Do understand that even with improved intercoolers and running the PSI you are on MAP 2 & 3 that once you get "off" of throttle your IAT2 will increase ever so slightly until you begin to ram another jet stream through it. As long as you are in boost the improved intercooler will keep temps better, it's when you get off (and idle or slow) and try to get back on that you have to wait for the increased temperature to dissipate. Just the nature of a very small turbo.
Keep in mind that the Si turbo does about 16-17% better at expelling exhaust gasses - that's why the Si is more responsive and capable of handling more PSI.
Also: If you want an optimum tune, then get with a reputable tuner and tune in for a Higher Octane (like 95Oct using some race fuel) if you want 1/4 mile times? With the stock turbo you won't achieve the balance of having the low/mid and high RPM power. You will need to settle of which set-up you prefer or get another turbo. But, if you are on a CVT I wouldn't suggest it - since that is yet an addt'l restriction.
I will admit, that adding an improved turbo would provide for better response and open up more RPM range - but, when it comes to tuning you won't take advantage of its full capability on a CVT. You would require less boost and run cooler and be more consistant. On demand power is always appreciated right? But, you have to decide the benefits over the cost.

Last edited:

Pearlwhitefk7

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7
Country flag
It isn't the Turbo Inlet that is a restriction. A simple drop-in high flow filter would provide plenty of volume and velocity (on the stock box). Your boost is being generated by "torque" targeting, so if you really want to make the best of the small snail then a free flowing DP would provide that. I am not taking away from the fact that the stock DP is fine in of itself; I am simply trying to supplement what you are trying to achieve.
Do understand that even with improved intercoolers and running the PSI you are on MAP 2 & 3 that once you get "off" of throttle your IAT2 will increase ever so slightly until you begin to ram another jet stream through it. As long as you are in boost the improved intercooler will keep temps better, it's when you get off (and idle or slow) and try to get back on that you have to wait for the increased temperature to dissipate. Just the nature of a very small turbo.
Keep in mind that the Si turbo does about 16-17% better at expelling exhaust gasses - that's why the Si is more responsive and capable of handling more PSI.
Also: If you want an optimum tune, then get with a reputable tuner and tune in for a Higher Octane (like 95Oct using some race fuel) if you want 1/4 mile times? With the stock turbo you won't achieve the balance of having the low/mid and high RPM power. You will need to settle of which set-up you prefer or get another turbo. But, if you are on a CVT I wouldn't suggest it - since that is yet an addt'l restriction.
I will admit, that adding an improved turbo would provide for better response and open up more RPM range - but, when it comes to tuning you won't take advantage of its full capability on a CVT. You would require less boost and run cooler and be more consistant. On demand power is always appreciated right? But, you have to decide the benefits over the cost.
I really appreciate the information. Was a bit worried because I did the intercooler, cai, and inlet pipe install myself and those 3 projects were actually my first time doing something like that to a car. The inlet pipe install didnā€™t go as smoothly as expected which raised some concern from the little oil Iā€™ve seen (at the same time not really knowing much about cars). Youā€™ve put my mind at ease, but I will definitely monitor it.

thank you for replying

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Country flag
I really appreciate the information. Was a bit worried because I did the intercooler, cai, and inlet pipe install myself and those 3 projects were actually my first time doing something like that to a car. The inlet pipe install didnā€™t go as smoothly as expected which raised some concern from the little oil Iā€™ve seen (at the same time not really knowing much about cars). Youā€™ve put my mind at ease, but I will definitely monitor it.

thank you for replying
normal its blow by; not the best but it'll happen.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

thank you for replying
Welcome to the community! Congrats on grabbing life by the wrench and working on your car. Always adds a certain something each time you drive- "I did that." That's some engaged ownership. Props.

Just saw you had some threads about the oil, but please include a link or details when dropping "the little oil Iā€™ve seen" in another. šŸ˜…

Some words of unsolicited advice...
Don't go chasing max results if you try some DIY tuning. ++1 for sticking with the stage 2 ktuner OTS Tune- play with the enables and quick settings- there is lots to tweak in that space. Be sure to read their documentation and don't enable or change stuff they recommend leaving alone or clearly state is only for MT or Si.
Enjoy what you have (hopefully) comfortably gained vs how the car drove from the factory.
Don't change stuff you couldn't pass a pop-quiz on; when failing that quiz means your car gets detention and you have to fork over money.
Add some details in your profile. Sport? If so, read around the forums to see if the engine is UK Assembled. Doesn't apply to my civic, but iirc (could be myth or legit, idk) there is some level of concern pushing it with an aggressive tune and engine rods.

Didn't see anything about tires. Do tires. Maybe the best bang for the buck (see forums for review and recommendations) that improves handling, response, performance, safety, etc.

First Name
Gamester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5t CVT
Maximum boost depends on your setup. I have a 2016 CVT with an upgraded turbo, a custom tune alongwith all other bolt-ons. I can run 27 psi safely on E40, 24psi on E10 and 21 psi on pump gas. That being said you still have to be careful and keep an eye on all the parameters specifically your transmission temp and ECT.
Sponsored