amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I'm glad this post got resurrected! For some of you new guys on this forum, I moved on from my 2018 Si to a Lexus IS350 with a 6 speed auto, and I totally don't regret it. I'm 53 years old and grew up on manuals, that's all I drove in the 80's and 90's until I got married. Then went back to my roots driving the Si with a 6 speed, and it was fun...for awhile. Unfortunately driving in traffic for 2 years just got pretty old, pretty fast. That and sciatic nerve pain...

For the overall driving experience, a manual is unbeatable. I'm with you geezers on that :p. But when it comes to performance, the auto has the advantage. And for the daily commute, especially those that have to drive through traffic, or even long distance trips, the auto wins.

I do plan to get into a manual for a weekend car. I'm planning on doing an MR2 engine swap, I have a Camry V6 engine sitting and waiting for a 6 speed manual MR2, maybe next year...

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm glad this post got resurrected! For some of you new guys on this forum, I moved on from my 2018 Si to a Lexus IS350 with a 6 speed auto, and I totally don't regret it. I'm 53 years old and grew up on manuals, that's all I drove in the 80's and 90's until I got married. Then went back to my roots driving the Si with a 6 speed, and it was fun...for awhile. Unfortunately driving in traffic for 2 years just got pretty old, pretty fast. That and sciatic nerve pain...

For the overall driving experience, a manual is unbeatable. I'm with you geezers on that :p. But when it comes to performance, the auto has the advantage. And for the daily commute, especially those that have to drive through traffic, or even long distance trips, the auto wins.

I do plan to get into a manual for a weekend car. I'm planning on doing an MR2 engine swap, I have a Camry V6 engine sitting and waiting for a 6 speed manual MR2, maybe next year...
First of all I think its cool that you keep in touch with the ecobox Honda forum. But why? Are we that lively? I think the Civic has become the over-achiever and the do-it-all car. Just pick your flavor. Its hard to do everything. Somewhere there will be compromises.

Back to the subject, I am getting older too. I wish I was shifting gears every second or fairly often. In the right car its a joy. The way cars are today especially the Civics , the work is almost as soft as a video game. Its pretty soft but thankfully there are the little clicks in the shifter, the throws, and slight resistance in the clutch. Any more softness for me and I won't feel a thing!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
First of all I think its cool that you keep in touch with the ecobox Honda forum. But why? Are we that lively? I think the Civic has become the over-achiever and the do-it-all car. Just pick your flavor. Its hard to do everything. Somewhere there will be compromises.

Back to the subject, I am getting older too. I wish I was shifting gears every second or fairly often. In the right car its a joy. The way cars are today especially the Civics , the work is almost as soft as a video game. Its pretty soft but thankfully there are the little clicks in the shifter, the throws, and slight resistance in the clutch. Any more softness for me and I won't feel a thing!
I still have friends here...plus I haven't turned off notifications yet...LOL

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I still have friends here...plus I haven't turned off notifications yet...LOL
Glad to see you're still active on here, even if I got rid of the civic I would probably be stuck on these forums for a bit ahah such a good group of people here

but yeah I won't really think of having an automatic car until my very later years. I'm thinking of scooping an auto ls400 in the next coming years but only as a second car, I always want to have a MT car to have fun with.

for the amount of stop and go i drive daily, i always have fun in my commute because of MT. Like you said in your original posts, it helps a shit ton in NYC by knowing what gear I'm in so I can get those tight squeezes or quickly take an exit if need be

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
So I turn 52 this year, and I bought my SI in December. My first car was a $50 beater I bought from my uncle when I was 21. That was the only automatic I've had. (Although my wife had a Subaru Justy - 3 cylinders and 4 wheel drive - with a CVT when we gat married. I had an '80s Mazda 323 at the time and I taught her to drive a stick so she would be able to drive my car if needed. We've both had manuals ever since.

My son just got his license this year and had to learn to drive on a three pedal, and when I moved into the SI I gave him my 5-speed Focus.

All this just to say, I'm getting manuals as long as I can. When I can't find a stick-shift that works for me, I'll probably go hybrid or electric.
Sponsored