OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
After 600 miles, I'm used to it and don't mind it at all, but would still prefer to have one. I think that just because you can get accustomed to it, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. As the daily driver, it's easy for me to say though... anytime I have a passenger the temp control will be used lol
I was just going to mention that LOL
Sponsored

Civic Fan 2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic, 2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I got used to not having a knob. I use the steering wheel controls for volume.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
In Honda's view, fiddling with the slider controls can take a little more effort than they'd like. And they like to obsess over making the system as idiot-proof as possible. Seems there have been several situations where novice drivers have been fiddling with the volume slider on the wheel/HU right before an accident. One of the advantages of the HU being able to record 30 seconds of data before a crash event.

I wouldn't expect to see the return of the knob until the 2019 MMR or 2021 MY. But I've heard the steering wheel volume slider will be gone from all models by 2018. :dunno:

Last edited:
OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
In Honda's view, fiddling with the slider controls can take a little more effort than they'd like. And they like to obsess over making the system as idiot-proof as possible. Seems there have been several situations where novice drivers have been fiddling with the volume slider on the wheel/HU right before an accident. One of the advantages of the HU being able to record 30 seconds of data before a crash event.

I wouldn't expect to see the return of the knob until the 2019 MMR or 2021 MY. But I've heard the steering wheel volume slider will be gone by 2018. It's already gone from the 2017 Si. :dunno:
What? If anything that is what will prevent accidents is having a volume adjuster on the steering wheel

yyzcbphatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini CS
Vehicle Showcase
TBH, different strokes for different folks...I can live without the vol knob...I ONLY uses the steering wheel vol control...not even the touch sensitive interface at all. i find the steering control is a lot more convenience

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree it took awhile to get used to.

Life you learn to adapt to changes.

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To this day I still feel a volume knob should be there, but it doesn't bother me. After the first few trips in the car, I got used to not using a volume knob and taking advantage of all my controls on the wheel (which honestly is safer).

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't really miss the volume knob since I prefer steering wheel controls. However that doesn't help my passengers. My biggest gripe about the lack of a volume knob is that it requires more attention to look at the stereo to ensure that you are pressing the proper touch area. One can't just reach over and crank it up, could be really bad for driver if distracted by it instead of using steering wheel controls.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I love the look of the blank tablet screen but prefer having a volume and tuner knob. I just find it curious how the design team, when considering the climate controls, decided that knobs were a superior choice to buttons or slider controls. However, when considering the radio, they came to the exact opposite conclusion. Seems like it would be one or the other. Or maybe it was 2 different teams.

AIBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my sport hatch has a volume knob, but I guess that's the trade-off for not having all of those other cool features

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My last car was a 2006 TSX, and it had both a volume knob and volume buttons on the steering wheel. I hardly used the volume knob. I just found it quicker to just hit the button by moving my left thumb and not my entire right arm. I just got used to it that when I got my Civic, the lack of a volume knob was a total non-issue.

BrieOfBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring 4 door sedan
I still don't understand how this matters.
It shouldn't matter but it does. If i leave it set to 68 the fans doesn't come on full blast. If I lower it the fans come on high. Auto climate shouldn't require it but it does.

jaywildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I still think it's absolutely stupid to have a knob for climate control instead of volume.

I mean c'mon...isn't the point of climate control to SET AND FORGET?

When in the world will I need to swing the temperature wildly up or down?

It's as if the controls were designed for those idiots who swing their climate control to "Low" (lowest setting possible) because the car is hot from sitting in the parking lot. My god, the AC is already going to work at full force, because it already knows inside temperature is way higher than your target temp. Cranking it lower isn't going to do crap. You might as well save money and not offer climate control to those people.
Set and forget climate control???
Talk to a Canadian first. Lol we use climate control 10 times more often than volume knob.
Sponsored