Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
For the past few months I've been dealing with some absolutely annoying rattles, clicks and creaking sounds emanating from my passenger side headliner area. I thought I had the problem solved after a few attempts by stuffing a ton of foam up there. But the sound always comes back. I even tried spraying the area with some dry Teflon lubricant and that made no difference.

Here's the thing though, it only happens on the way to work when the car has been sitting overnight. And it's really bad. Even the slightest road imperfection causes the whole headliner area to sound like it's ready to fall apart. It's horrible and makes my car feel cheap. Even the stereo barely drowns it out.

Yet coming home from work when things are a bit warmer out, the same symphony of noise I get early in the day is barely noticeable. I know it's some sort of plastic on plastic creaking but I have no idea how to fix it. Anybody else with this issue?
Sponsored

DoubleDown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
My car is an absolute rattle box. I wonder if the 2020 models suffer from the same issues.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Is it near your windshield or sunroof? Could water be getting in there while it's warmer out, then freezing overnight?

Last edited:

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Small speaker on the driver side rear door rattles like crazy when I’m driving. Pain in the ass. Being that the car is brand new, it’s annoying. Might mention it to the dealership when I go in for my first oil change. Unless someone can suggest something I can do myself?

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Is it near your windshield or sunroof? Could water be getting while it's warmer out, then freezing overnight?
Good chance you are right on this. A couple months ago my car sounded like a dump truck. Tons of rattles coming mostly from the right side but changing location. Thought it might have been the rear shock. One day it warmed up enough and I was washing it. Got to the lower part of the rocker panel and I could feel ice sticking out of some holes. It apparently was sliding up and down the plastic when it thawed out enough and made a ton of noise. Needless to say snow and ice had been filing up inside the plastic panel for months over the winter. Warmer now and no noise.

Sonic20ST

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
2020 rattles a bit at above 70 mph...I have not figured out where the rattle is coming from as of yet...I know it is on the passenger side of the car.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's the thing though, it only happens on the way to work when the car has been sitting overnight.
The only time that my Civic ever has a headliner rattle too, except in mine the buzzing is at the left rear corner of the sunroof opening.
Goes away after a couple of miles.
I can barely hear it with XM playing, only really noticeable if I have the radio off, which is hardly ever.

Blue20Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic Sport
Country flag
2020 rattles a bit at above 70 mph...I have not figured out where the rattle is coming from as of yet...I know it is on the passenger side of the car.
My ‘20 does that too. I am going to foam the cable guides. I think they are rattling.

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
2020.. no rattles yet - 900 miles in and fingers crossed!!!
I do get vibration rattles from the sub woofer- currently mostly fixed with a piece of foam and planning to have the dealer install a more perm fix at first service or after covid-

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a VERY persistent rattle coming from the passenger side. It's gotten worse. Driving with the radio on a low volume makes it so audible that I instantly zone in on it. It's a bit disappointing.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There is a VERY persistent rattle coming from the passenger side. It's gotten worse. Driving with the radio on a low volume makes it so audible that I instantly zone in on it. It's a bit disappointing.
Same issue here. It's to the point I only play music loud just to cover up the annoyance.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
For the past few months I've been dealing with some absolutely annoying rattles, clicks and creaking sounds emanating from my passenger side headliner area. I thought I had the problem solved after a few attempts by stuffing a ton of foam up there. But the sound always comes back. I even tried spraying the area with some dry Teflon lubricant and that made no difference.

Here's the thing though, it only happens on the way to work when the car has been sitting overnight. And it's really bad. Even the slightest road imperfection causes the whole headliner area to sound like it's ready to fall apart. It's horrible and makes my car feel cheap. Even the stereo barely drowns it out.

Yet coming home from work when things are a bit warmer out, the same symphony of noise I get early in the day is barely noticeable. I know it's some sort of plastic on plastic creaking but I have no idea how to fix it. Anybody else with this issue?

my 2017 hatch, i get rattle on the A pillar on the driver side, bottom near the windshield, i put stuff it with foam.
Sponsored