TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Good news for you. I'm surprised. Keep us posted, im interested to know if the new trans has any issues. Good luck!
Sponsored

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The number of lockouts in 1st and 4th is annoying honestly.

I even have moments shifting into second where it feels like it only went "halfway" into gear. It's pretty annoying. It's better by a boat load with the CMC adjustment but still...

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I even have moments shifting into second where it feels like it only went "halfway" into gear. It's pretty annoying. It's better by a boat load with the CMC adjustment but still...
I abhor the moments where it feels like it only goes partially into gear. Makes me second guess if it is or not. Although, for all the times it's happened, I didn't hear violent grinding afterwards so I guess it must've been fine?

Brooksumw89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW GTI
Country flag
The half gear shifts happen when cold for me. I’ve started double clutching first to second for the first few 1-2 shifts. After that I’m out of my neighborhood area and my car is warm enough to be smoother.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag

Same and for me the issue is still 4th primarily. I can be sitting in my garage with the car off and 4th will lock out lmao. Don’t think there is any fixing it.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same and for me the issue is still 4th primarily. I can be sitting in my garage with the car off and 4th will lock out lmao. Don’t think there is any fixing it.

4th happens to me quite a bit.

Now I am afraid because I upgrade to a Hybrid Racing shifter they would deny any potential work. When the transmission shifts properly it's amazing, but when I get these silly lockouts or "half" shifts into gear, I need to put it into another gear first and then it goes into the gear I want it in without any issue.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Fwiw - i've been driving manuals since before I got my license in the early 90's, and there's probably a video link in this thread somewhere of one of my drag runs in my AM car showing I can definitely shift a manual trans.

I understand you are trying to help new manual drivers, but there have been plenty of "learn to drive" posts in this thread.

There are some legitimately bad transmissions out there, not a lot, but enough that Honda should acknowledge it and put out a TSB. Every owner with the issue shouldn't have to go through the process with their tech-line and regional service manager like it's voodoo and Honda has never heard of such a thing when, in fact, the opposite is true. Team Honda Research West had to replace a trans at 25 hours of Thunderhill due to 4th gear failure, and they're a Honda employee race team.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-r...honda-civic-type-r-at-25-hours-of-thunderhill

It's well known that transmissions for the K series engine are fickle and prone to grinding synchro issues. My 8th gen started grinding in 3rd at ~30k miles for no reason and they replaced the synchro and sleeve under warranty.

TLDR; - Honda knows these trans have issues and they act like it's the first time they've ever heard of it with each owner that reports having problems. They eventually acknowledged the problem with the 8th gen, they'll eventually do the same with the FK8.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Transmissions with clutch master cylinders that are not properly adjusted can and will grind gears, not just the FK8's. Also, it has been proven that ACDelco Synchromesh with Friction Modifier is a good fluid to use in these transmissions. If the synchros are overly worn from grinding gears too often/too badly, a proper CMC adjustment and fluid change will not fix the issue.

I don't know why this continues to be a topic. Yes, sometimes it is driver error. Yes, sometimes it is not. The best solution has already been found. Voicing displeasure about how Honda has handled it on their end on this online forum is not going to amount to anything.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
It’s hard to say because I haven’t been in everyone’s vehicle. One thing I can confirm is that the CMC is poorly adjusted from factory. I thought my car had bad synchros off the lot. I adjusted my pedal and the crunchiness was gone. Literally a night and day difference for me.

My assumption is that a bunch of small things are leading to catastrophic failures ex. Worn synchros and grinding gears.

Example: poorly adjusted cmc isn’t fully releasing clutch causing clutch drag, driver moves gear lever before clutch is pushed in all the way, shifts too hard or too quickly, car is also cold, end up resulting in a grind.

Im sure there are some defective transmissions out there but I honestly think it’s very rare. I think a lot can be solved with the clutch adjustment, fluid change, and good driving habits.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Just drove it home from getting the trans replaced and all I can say is that it shifts better than it ever has, it never shifted this well when it was brand new.

Also, since I park it in the winter and haven't been driving it because I've been working from home ... I forgot how much I love driving this damn thing.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just drove it home from getting the trans replaced and all I can say is that it shifts better than it ever has, it never shifted this well when it was brand new.

Also, since I park it in the winter and haven't been driving it because I've been working from home ... I forgot how much I love driving this damn thing.

Great news man, did you put in different fluid? Did they put in different fluid? I wonder how the 2020s are talking about their shifts.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Great news man, did you put in different fluid? Did they put in different fluid? I wonder how the 2020s are talking about their shifts.
Everything is OEM.

I haven't heard about shifting problems with the 2020s.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
what is the 2nd gear crunch? i have had my 2019 type R for a month now and never had the problem
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.