The Infamous 2nd Gear Crunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 32279

guess whoever installed it is “real stupid” then.
He’s probably no smarter than you. Hey Lust, it’s only a clutch master cylinder install, bleed and adjustment not an engine rebuilt. Don’t over think it.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
He’s probably no smarter than you. Hey Lust, it’s only a clutch master cylinder install, bleed and adjustment not an engine rebuilt. Don’t over think it.
lmao nice kindergarten response. I’m 100% positive whoever installed the modified CMC did not adjust it properly. Don’t be butthurt if you messed it up.

Deleted member 32279

lmao nice kindergarten response. I’m 100% positive whoever installed the modified CMC did not adjust it properly. Don’t be butthurt if you messed it up.
so you Are another arm chair mechanic with just criticism. Are you a child thats bored and think he knows everything about mechanics. This isn’t rocket science but sorry I hurt your ego

Deleted member 32279

so you Are another arm chair mechanic with just criticism. Are you a child thats bored and think he knows everything about mechanics. This isn’t rocket science but sorry I hurt your ego
And stop lying about the Modified Clutch Master cylinder being smooth. It has a lot of vibration in the pedal and it is not smooth. The clutch pedal is much harder. People need to know this before they install this. You will take away the smooth Shifting and this is what Honda clutches are know for.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
The only one upset here is you. You spent 300 dollars for a part that “doesn’t work” but won’t admit its user error.

Let me simplify what this modification does because I don’t think you understand.
1. with the delay valve removed and feed hole bore increased, you improve the flow of hydraulic fluid. This aids in disengaging the clutch quickly and fully.
2. Many FK8s have poorly adjusted clutch pedals from factory which result in the clutch dragging. My personal car was an example of that. When you add a bit more pedal stroke and remove the free play, you are increasing the volume of fluid moving through the hydraulic system. Again the concept is to quickly and fully have the clutch disengage.

To your point that the clutch pedal has a lot of vibration, however I haven’t noticed this. During initial install it did have some light vibrations compared to stock but after a hundred miles or so it went away. Yes it feels heavier than stock but not by much. I’d be willing to anyone local drive my car and feel the difference.

Deleted member 32279

The only one upset here is you. You spent 300 dollars for a part that “doesn’t work” but won’t admit its user error.

Let me simplify what this modification does because I don’t think you understand.
1. with the delay valve removed and feed hole bore increased, you improve the flow of hydraulic fluid. This aids in disengaging the clutch quickly and fully.
2. Many FK8s have poorly adjusted clutch pedals from factory which result in the clutch dragging. My personal car was an example of that. When you add a bit more pedal stroke and remove the free play, you are increasing the volume of fluid moving through the hydraulic system. Again the concept is to quickly and fully have the clutch disengage.

To your point that the clutch pedal has a lot of vibration, however I haven’t noticed this. During initial install it did have some light vibrations compared to stock but after a hundred miles or so it went away. Yes it feels heavier than stock but not by much. I’d be willing to anyone local drive my car and feel the difference.
Wish you were near by so you could drive my car and I drive yours.

Deleted member 32279

Wish you were near by so you could drive my car and I drive yours.
I did adjust the rod and that was an improvement but the grind was still present. I drop the car off at the dealership and they replaced the cable bushings because they claim that they were bad from factory. They had the car for a almost 2 weeks. They said that they did not witness the grind. When I left the dealership I had a second gear grind at the second light

Deleted member 32279

Hey Lust I would love it be my error and then I can fix it. Do you know how easy it is do this install and adjustment. It’s a joke. I’m not here for a pissing match. I’m here for solutions. I wish you were near by so you could drive my car.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Hey Lust I would love it be my error and then I can fix it. Do you know how easy it is do this install and adjustment. It’s a joke. I’m not here for a pissing match. I’m here for solutions. I wish you were near by so you could drive my car.
It is easy to install but you’d be surprised how many people get it wrong. Try backing out the 17mm nut a turn or turn and a half. Then adjust your preload rod by turning it clockwise until you feel resistance. Go a half turn past the resistance and lock it all down. If you can take pictures of the two adjustment areas, I’ll be able to tell if they’re adjusted correctly

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I, too, have encountered a slight grinding which to my ear indicates a slow synchro. It is most noticeable when first driving on a cool/cold morning and reduces somewhat after everything is fully warmed up. To test the slow synchro theory, I've tried double-clutching the 1-2 shift and, voila, it goes away.

Deleted member 32279

I just found the solution to my second gear grind. I traded the Civic Type r in for a 2020 BMW M2 Competition. So long and good riddance.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Infamous 2nd Gear Crunch 2FCB3E5D-7F15-4DB7-A603-B3332A5FDDCE

R17519

First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8 2018, ef hatch1991
Country flag
2018 typer, i had first experience this less than 500kms 2nd gear grind. Im on 1000kms after 18months of ownership 5 times of grind total. Havent done my first oil change. Experience this everytime i rev it more than 5t rpm. Maybe ill just wait for more info how to solve this issue.
I have ef hatch stock, eg hatch with k20a from dc5, civic ek sir stock, crv first gen. All bought second hand. First time to own a brand new honda with this fk8. Its frustrating. Goodluck with warranty here in Philippines.

wewong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
2018 typer, i had first experience this less than 500kms 2nd gear grind. Im on 1000kms after 18months of ownership 5 times of grind total. Havent done my first oil change. Experience this everytime i rev it more than 5t rpm. Maybe ill just wait for more info how to solve this issue.
I have ef hatch stock, eg hatch with k20a from dc5, civic ek sir stock, crv first gen. All bought second hand. First time to own a brand new honda with this fk8. Its frustrating. Goodluck with warranty here in Philippines.
I would suggest increasing the master cylinder stroke by adjusting the clutch pedal up. It’s a 10 minute job and I haven’t had an issue with grinding since I’ve made the adjustment. The instructions are somewhere in this thread.

Found the post:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/has-...r-grind-after-deleting-cdv.23007/#post-597337

Last edited:

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag
I would suggest increasing the master cylinder stroke by adjusting the clutch pedal up. It’s a 10 minute job and I haven’t had an issue with grinding since I’ve made the adjustment. The instructions are somewhere in this thread.

Found the post:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/has-...r-grind-after-deleting-cdv.23007/#post-597337

Clutch Drag is a bummer. It could be worse. Glad to see someone took my advice about clutch pedal adjustment after the clutch has been broken in.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Clutch Drag is a bummer. It could be worse. Glad to see someone took my advice about clutch pedal adjustment after the clutch has been broken in.
Would this also help with the 4th gear lockout? I haven't gotten the 2nd gear grind yet but 4th has locked me out a few times randomly.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.