Status
Not open for further replies.

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, BMW 328xi, BMW X3
Country flag
I've been driving manual transmissions on many vehicles over the years and I've never experienced this type of issue. It's already been at the Dealer to document the issue and videos were shared. However, they were not able to duplicate the issue. The problem arises in a rapid shift into second. It will be going back to the dealer with the new video and information (hard left while accelerating rapidly from a stop). This time I'm going to have them replace the transmission oil, which is probably going to be at my cost. I'm going to have them collect a sample of the oil, which I'll be sending it to a third-party lab for analysis as well.

My plan of attack is to document this issue as much as possible in an effort to understand the issue until it's resolved or at the point that I proceed with the lemon law. The Dealer has three attempts to repair the vehicle here in Ohio. The process has to be well documented and it needs to occur with the first 12 months or 18,000 miles.
Sponsored

wewong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
It's been awhile since I've had a grind until this evening. I experienced it while accelerating and turning left from a stop. So annoying! Honda needs to fix this. Here's a video:
I'm quite certain all my grinds happened while I was turning as well.

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: I dropped off my car at the Dealer this past Monday evening to have them look at the 2nd gear grind again (second time). I provided two more videos to support the case and I asked them to change out the transmission oil (at my cost), which they did on Tuesday. I also asked to have the tech collect a sample of the oil so I can get it sent to a third-party lab for analysis. I specifically asked for the collection to be in a clean disposable container. However, what I got was a sample in a empty Honda Transmission bottle. Lesson learned, don't forget the sample container. I'm guessing there will be some cross contamination of new oil mixed into the old but I'm still going to get it tested. With only 1,800 miles on the car it should be like new anyhow.

The tech was not able to reproduce the 2nd gear grind before or after the oil flush. I captured everything on my dashcam, which was helpful. His attempts before the flush were lackluster at best, but his attempts after the flush were spot on. He did multiple honest attempts to make it grind per my instructions (left hand turn with rapid acceleration) and wasn't able to so.

On my drive home I tried to recreate the grind and wasn't able to. I'm cautiously optimistic that the oil change may have resolved the grind or at least masked it for the time being. Before I took it in I could pretty much duplicate it on demand with the left turn/rapid 1st to 2nd shift. I'll have to put more miles on it to confirm /deny that hypothesis.

I have a meeting with the Service Manager next week to discuss the grind and/or take a test drive. I'm going to try to get some miles logged on the car to see if I can recreate the grind. I'm now wondering if the oil amount could have been low before the flush. I didn't think to have the tech measure the amount of oil. Does anyone know if this grind could be due to a low oil level?

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how many miles? My car doesn't doesn't really do it anymore but I don't gun it in 1st very often. I only have 1400 miles but I think it was just the tranny breaking in. it's a 2018. Like I said, i'll keep everyone posted.

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
when i first changed the fluid on mine i also thought it "helped" and i still believe it did make things "better", however i was still getting the crunch from time to time

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
This has been my experience as well.

when i first changed the fluid on mine i also thought it "helped" and i still believe it did make things "better", however i was still getting the crunch from time to time

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018, Audi TT-RS 2010 400hp, Audi A6 3.0 TFSI 400hp
Country flag
I just wanted to report that I just bought a used 2018 fk8 with about 10000km on the odometer. The first owner had problems with the second gear, and Honda first rebuilt the tranny with new synchros and new 2:nd gear cog wheel. The rebuild was however not successful and the gearbox still had issues after some time. Honda then decided to replace the transmission completely to a new one. No issues so far with the new transmission.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
20k miles experience:

My transmission grinded 2nd gear around 3 times in 7k miles along with rough gearing when the trans was cold. Switched to amsoil and the gears got smoother but still experienced 2 more 2nd gear grinds. Now it does not grind anymore but Im experiencing a loud whine noise in second gear that goes away when I press the clutch. This happened around 10k miles, I recently installed the 27WON rear engine mount and the sound got ampified it whines in all gears and its worst in 6th gear. Bearing chatter(vibrations) can be felt also when going up the rev range smoothly but again goes away when the cluthc is pressed. I have an appointment on the dealer for the second time this saturday, the first time the dealer told me it was normal. Im pretty sure its not as none of my friends type r's have it.

Anyone experiencing the same?

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
thanks for sharing. Before you take it in, maybe you want to switch out the 27WON, so that they won't have any excuse to deny your claim for they might put the blame on the stiffer mount. Anyways, good luck and keep us posted. Do you happen to have a video of the "whining" from each of the gears?

20k miles experience:

My transmission grinded 2nd gear around 3 times in 7k miles along with rough gearing when the trans was cold. Switched to amsoil and the gears got smoother but still experienced 2 more 2nd gear grinds. Now it does not grind anymore but Im experiencing a loud whine noise in second gear that goes away when I press the clutch. This happened around 10k miles, I recently installed the 27WON rear engine mount and the sound got ampified it whines in all gears and its worst in 6th gear. Bearing chatter(vibrations) can be felt also when going up the rev range smoothly but again goes away when the cluthc is pressed. I have an appointment on the dealer for the second time this saturday, the first time the dealer told me it was normal. Im pretty sure its not as none of my friends type r's have it.

Anyone experiencing the same?

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
thanks for sharing. Before you take it in, maybe you want to switch out the 27WON, so that they won't have any excuse to deny your claim for they might put the blame on the stiffer mount. Anyways, good luck and keep us posted. Do you happen to have a video of the "whining" from each of the gears?
They were the ones who installed the mount and same dealer i took it the 1st time for the whining. It will be better with the mount on because it makes the whining and the bearing sound so pronounced.

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have had a replacement transmission put in. Initially I experienced a very very nasty second gear crunch. Now I am experiencing multiple gear issues and recent gear box whine. The original clutch was reused. Can you tell me what they are replacing that involves the clutch?
Hey man can you tell me more about your trans whine? Mines started whining on 2md gear at low revs and it worsen up throught the miles.

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I haven't had a grind in a couple of hundred miles after the transmission oil change. I'm still skeptical, but can't deny that it hasn't helped.

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it normal for 2nd gear to not be as smooth to get into as the rest? that's my case no matter what. even though so far my gear grinds have stopped, going from first to second is less smooth. is this just a normal transmission thing?

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Is it normal for 2nd gear to not be as smooth to get into as the rest? that's my case no matter what. even though so far my gear grinds have stopped, going from first to second is less smooth. is this just a normal transmission thing?
I had the same issue until I did a couple of mods now its smooth.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.