The Infamous 2nd Gear Crunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I picked up my car from the dealer today after having the replacement transmission put in. It actually feels worse than the one they took out. Put one hundred miles on her today. Now the shifting feels like all the gears are not engaging fully with the clutch pressed in. Before it was only second gear shift. I also had third gear shifts stick twice..had to double clutch to engage. Never experienced that before..Been hard to live with a car you can't fully enjoy.. Wish I had not changed the transmission out, should have waited until the upgrade/recall or until it was much worse...still feels like something to do with the clutch...I think mine was a really bad example too it seems... Sad day....frustrated that Honda knew better and apparently there is no fix... Too bad..it is a great car..Not feeling very confident over the long term. I have a feeling it will occur again sooner than later. The original gearbox is on the way back to Japan for analysis..Maybe they will find something to upgrade..I would not hold my breath.. 2018 are out with the same transmission apparently...Good luck to new buyers..
I also had several flat tires. Having bad luck...I decided to get a set of the Michelin Super Sport 4s instead. I think you can feel the improvement immediately in handling and stability. At least that was something positive... any thoughts from the community?
Wow, this is not good. I wonder what Honda is doing to fix this problem. My Transmission isn't doing so well, it feels like I'm not using the clutch sometimes as I shift. I'll be going to Amsoil Synchromesh this week, and having Honda analyze my fluid. Let's see where this goes...
Sponsored

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Wow, this is not good. I wonder what Honda is doing to fix this problem. My Transmission isn't doing so well, it feels like I'm not using the clutch sometimes as I shift. I'll be going to Amsoil Synchromesh this week, and having Honda analyze my fluid. Let's see where this goes...
Maybe you can also send part of the fluid to an independent lab for testing. Would be interesting what they find in it. Could indicate what parts get worn inside.

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Due to heavy winter conditions here in Norway I haven't had time to really punish the tranny on first to second gear, but I'm afraid that I will have these problems when spring arrives :-/

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, either check the fluid level, or change it out with OEM fluid. Like I've said before, I have not had a grind since the dealer replaced my fluid. I do have a sample that I'm sending out as well of the factory fluid.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Guys, either check the fluid level, or change it out with OEM fluid. Like I've said before, I have not had a grind since the dealer replaced my fluid. I do have a sample that I'm sending out as well of the factory fluid.
I did Synchromesh and so far so good.

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan GTR 2017 Honda Type R 1989 Porsche C4
Country flag
I did Synchromesh and so far so good.
I kept the stock sizes but think 19's might be even better. Don't have good report..drove the car over the weekend..now I definitely have other issues not previously experienced. For example, fifth to four lock out and hard to get in to third gear, but no grinding in second...yet. Going to bring the car back once again..this is extremely frustrating and heartbreaking to enthusiasts. So the torment continues.. don't feel this will be a happy ending...I will let you guys know how this progresses.....

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I kept the stock sizes but think 19's might be even better. Don't have good report..drove the car over the weekend..now I definitely have other issues not previously experienced. For example, fifth to four lock out and hard to get in to third gear, but no grinding in second...yet. Going to bring the car back once again..this is extremely frustrating and heartbreaking to enthusiasts. So the torment continues.. don't feel this will be a happy ending...I will let you guys know how this progresses.....
I hear you...hope everything goes well for you..

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hear you...hope everything goes well for you..
Can anybody who has had their transmissions replaced check in with an update?

TheTurk203

First Name
Turk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2016 Mercedes C300
Country flag
Im having the same problem with my car and i also have the paint issues on hood and roof so i just told them i wanted to return my car and i opened a case with the National Center for Dispute Settlement and have a appointment at my local Honda dealer on the 18th of January. They wanted to replace my transmission and repaint my car and i said F**K NO and i demanded for a refund so we shall see how this goes. Also i paid 49K for my Type R SOOOOO....... I don't want them replacing any thing. I don't want my car to be a project car and lose its value with a respray and transmission swap.

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im having the same problem with my car and i also have the paint issues on hood and roof so i just told them i wanted to return my car and i opened a case with the National Center for Dispute Settlement and have a appointment at my local Honda dealer on the 18th of January. They wanted to replace my transmission and repaint my car and i said F**K NO and i demanded for a refund so we shall see how this goes. Also i paid 49K for my Type R SOOOOO....... I don't want them replacing any thing. I don't want my car to be a project car and lose its value with a respray and transmission swap.
I also feel that way about the resale from replacing the transmission. However, I was considering just dumping the car couple of months ago as mine was crunching from day one... I offered it to several Honda dealers and they did not have that opinion at all. They all offered just several thousand off what I paid. Car had 3000 at it then. That was surprising to me.....Well, I guess filing a claim for refund will be next as there is no fix yet... I will attempt a financial resolution directly from Honda first....
This transmission swap is a nightmare...don't do it...I now have difficulty in every gear except fifth and six. Happens much more frequent since the swap and you never know when. At this point, I believe it has now become a safety issue.....I think mine was just a really bad one from the start. To top it off...I was informed that they put the original clutch back in even after I offered to pay for the new parts...Nope..Honda would not allow it.....So I hope they will be reasonable..anybody else have thoughts here?

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also feel that way about the resale from replacing the transmission. However, I was considering just dumping the car couple of months ago as mine was crunching from day one... I offered it to several Honda dealers and they did not have that opinion at all. They all offered just several thousand off what I paid. Car had 3000 at it then. That was surprising to me.....Well, I guess filing a claim for refund will be next as there is no fix yet... I will attempt a financial resolution directly from Honda first....
This transmission swap is a nightmare...don't do it...I now have difficulty in every gear except fifth and six. Happens much more frequent since the swap and you never know when. At this point, I believe it has now become a safety issue.....I think mine was just a really bad one from the start. To top it off...I was informed that they put the original clutch back in even after I offered to pay for the new parts...Nope..Honda would not allow it.....So I hope they will be reasonable..anybody else have thoughts here?
Looks like we are on our own..could you please tell me the process you used to file your claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlements? Don't see any resolutions anytime soon....

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopping in for updates. I have 6800 miles on mine and honestly didn't realize the 2nd gear crunch was that noticeable, but it seems to be becoming more apparent. I have also noticed a few times where I go from 3rd to 4th, especially on a harder pull, and it will grind. The first time I heard it I thought I didn't depress the clutch enough, but the 2nd and third time I knew for sure the clutch was to the floor on the shift. I've been recommended by several to switch to Amsoil, and plan to, but want to ensure it's not something worse.

TheTurk203

First Name
Turk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2016 Mercedes C300
Country flag
update** Honda reached out to me after they got there letter that they are being brought to a settlement court and said they wanted to look at the car before our settlement date on the 18th to "resolve" any issues but i told them there is nothing they can do to change my mind because i don't want a car that is going to be tested on and used and beaten on to "replicate" a problem ill pass and DAMN sure nothing they can do about the paint so i stay firm on i want my money back. But i did give in and told them they can LOOK at my car on the 5th of January so ill keep y'all posted.

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
update** Honda reached out to me after they got there letter that they are being brought to a settlement court and said they wanted to look at the car before our settlement date on the 18th to "resolve" any issues but i told them there is nothing they can do to change my mind because i don't want a car that is going to be tested on and used and beaten on to "replicate" a problem ill pass and DAMN sure nothing they can do about the paint so i stay firm on i want my money back. But i did give in and told them they can LOOK at my car on the 5th of January so ill keep y'all posted.
Thank you for the updates and good luck!

The Equaliz3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 L FK8
Status
Not open for further replies.