Axix23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K swapped Eg8, gt30r Dc5-S, cd5, and 18 Ford Explorer
Country flag
Everybody having 2nd gear issues. Have y’all tried Amsoil MTF?
Sponsored

hatchboost

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 6 speed
Country flag
After owning an si, Rsx. Type s, and now even 2017 civic sport hatch I must say the second gear grind is real. Only real cure is to granny shift 1-2. Sometimes second gets notchy when shifting too quickly. It needs time for you to depress the clutch all the way in and slide it in gently. Who has time for that right lol. It just seems Honda notorious for that second gear still.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Has anyone tried Ford’s Unicorn tears ? Over in the miata community that fluid absolutely revives grindy transmissions. It worked wonders on my 2000 with 100k miles.
Ford XT-M5-QS
It’s called unicorn tears in the miata community because of the price. It’s fully synthetic

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
After owning an si, Rsx. Type s, and now even 2017 civic sport hatch I must say the second gear grind is real. Only real cure is to granny shift 1-2. Sometimes second gets notchy when shifting too quickly. It needs time for you to depress the clutch all the way in and slide it in gently. Who has time for that right lol. It just seems Honda notorious for that second gear still.
On a R or sport hatch ?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Here come all of the uninformed people who didn’t bother to read the thread

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Here come all of the uninformed people who didn’t bother to read the thread
I don’t have any gear grinds. Just decided to drop in to see if anyone had used this fluid. Figured it might help someone else out , but thanks for the response anyways bud

hatchboost

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 6 speed
Country flag
Sport hatch. I understand the thread was in regards to type rs, just wanted to chime that I experience the issue too. Also, regarding op, I’ve seen the clutch adjustment fix and tho I never tried it myself on my other two cars, (got rid of them before I had the chance.) I’ve heard many times that it fixes the issue.

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
no issues on my 2020 CTR.
2018 had a few issues when I drive crazy.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Posted earlier about grinding/shifting issues had it lock me out of 2nd today and make great noises calling dealer tmo. 2020 happened at approximately 5200Km. Started hearing grinding on hard 1-2s. Stopped doing that. Heard grinding on 3-2 downshift... Little strange. Now this 2nd gear lockout and I'm praying they warranty it.

hooger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R (Sold)
Country flag
Just had my first 2nd gear grind on my 2020 last night at 4500km. I adjusted the CMC and 2nd feels a little bit better but still getting the 4 to 5 lockout pretty frequently. Not really a fan of the higher bite point but I'll just have to get used to it.

Picked up some AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified and going to change the fluid tonight. Hopefully it helps, been pretty disappointed with this gearbox.

SamuraiFK8

First Name
KG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, Type R, 2004 Mercedes E500
Country flag
Sorry to hear that. I thought they changed the shift cables on the 2020's... GL

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Just had my first 2nd gear grind on my 2020 last night at 4500km. I adjusted the CMC and 2nd feels a little bit better but still getting the 4 to 5 lockout pretty frequently. Not really a fan of the higher bite point but I'll just have to get used to it.

Picked up some AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified and going to change the fluid tonight. Hopefully it helps, been pretty disappointed with this gearbox.
Sometimes the gearbox is so crisp and rewarding. Other times... it feels like shifting through a jar of marbles. I have tried Amsoil Synchromesh and Redline MTL. Redline is the best so far but I'm still looking for smoother action.

Mugen_515

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS
Country flag
So i want to chime in on this matter. I have a 2019 type r. This is my ninth sports car. My first was an S2000 that i bought new in 2002. I drive my cars hard under circuit use conditions. I do not drag race them from a stop or launch them hard. So to the point, there is nothing wrong with the gear box. After 5000 miles on mine and pushing it to redline constantly during track use i have NEVER had a gear grind. This gearbox is just like the one that was in my S2000. It is somewhat delicate but very precise. U must be a precise driver with it and not use untimely brute force to shift. This is hondas design style. Their products are excellent for their intended purpose which many of u fail to use them as.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.