Status
Not open for further replies.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Maybe it's anecdotal, but when I went out for a drive today lasting about 4 hours, I took my time shifting and the transmission felt very predictable with no crunches or anything. Maybe this transmission just doesn't like to be hurried. Counterproductive I know given the fact this is billed as track capable...:dunno:
I agree, there's not much rev-hang but if I wait for the revs to drop and get close to matching the rev to the shift everything is way less notchy and prone to feeling like a lockout or grind.

I think the Honda OEM syncros / trans tuning are just junk as were previous models.
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree, there's not much rev-hang but if I wait for the revs to drop and get close to matching the rev to the shift everything is way less notchy and prone to feeling like a lockout or grind.

I think the Honda OEM syncros / trans tuning are just junk as were previous models.
Yup, pretty much. That combined with relatively slow shifter movements (no ripping it from gear to gear) seems to keep the trans happy.

R17519

First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8 2018, ef hatch1991
Country flag
Adjusted mine, so far no grind. Driven twice, 10kms each. ill give update again soon

Axix23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K swapped Eg8, gt30r Dc5-S, cd5, and 18 Ford Explorer
Country flag
Have you guys tried using Amsoil MTF fluid in your Type R? Just wondering.

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
Yup, pretty much. That combined with relatively slow shifter movements (no ripping it from gear to gear) seems to keep the trans happy.
Shifting slow is THE infallible cure. But who wants to do that? I'm not even talking about not slamming gears -- you have to shift slower than what a normal rhythm feels like. At least for the first 15-20 minutes.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've tried to pay attention to the 4th lockouts and it seems to be when you shift if the car drops (idk why it does but it does) the revs it'll keep you locked out until it revs back up to a rev its happy with.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
I've tried to pay attention to the 4th lockouts and it seems to be when you shift if the car drops (idk why it does but it does) the revs it'll keep you locked out until it revs back up to a rev its happy with.
4th is still a mystery to me. It will sometimes lock out shifting up or down and has locked out with the car off just going through the gears while sitting in it lol.

mweberosu1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Civic Type R SGP
Country flag
So I have been experiencing a first gear lockout after the 2nd gear grind. This has happened a few times but I was always able to work it back into first and it would be fine for a while. Then it would randomly pop out of 2nd while driving or making a quick turn. About 2-3 weeks ago this happened again and I said screw it. I am going to take it into the dealer like this so they can see first hand but just had to find time to drop it off. Sat for a week but I dropped it off this past Saturday. Dealership kept me updated and they got authorization from Honda to crack it open on Tuesday. Got another update today saying they are replacing 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear sets so maybe there is more to the issues besides just 2nd gear. They are going to let me know when it's all buttoned up and ready to pick up. Dealership has been great to work with all the way from purchase to the few times I have taken it in.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Infamous 2nd Gear Crunch B364A191-D931-40EF-B13F-8276DE7C31FB

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
got a 2020 CTR at 1k miles no grind. kid in the video needs to learn how to push in the clutch. had it very rarely on my 2018 CTR before I traded up

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2020 seems to have an issue going into reverse sometime all most like it have to force it. Clutch pedal is smashed against the floor.

No issues or grinds with any other gear change though.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
My 2020 seems to have an issue going into reverse sometime all most like it have to force it. Clutch pedal is smashed against the floor.

No issues or grinds with any other gear change though.
Reverse is a little recalcitrant on mine as well. Zero issues with 2nd gear. I even practiced autocross launches this morning. Multiple high rpm 1-2 shifts back to back with zero issues. I have had 4th gear lockout twice, but that has always occurred only during lazy low rpm shifting for some reason. Overall I love the shift feel though.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
No 2nd gear grind or reverse issues. I'm about 2100 miles in on my 2019.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
2020 with about 2500km. No issues so far. haven't heard any gear grinding or had trouble putting it into gear.

I think I got a good one!

Axix23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K swapped Eg8, gt30r Dc5-S, cd5, and 18 Ford Explorer
Country flag
Trying going into 1st gear first and then going into reverse every time. See how that works out for y’all..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.