The Great Shifter Debate

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen The Great Shifter Debate 47A2D713-046C-49E8-AAF3-3981274F6598

Honda Civic 10th gen The Great Shifter Debate 3E8873B8-6C81-4CC6-82AC-9EFA31BA8E9A

As many of you have known I have the luxury of trying out both shifters, here’s my take on both:

Acuity shifter: I love the direct feel and firmness of this shifter, and that you can adjust the gear throw more on this shifter. It takes a while to break in since this car isn’t my daily driver. My only concern was that the shifter didn’t come with holes to plug in the push mount clips for the wires but it wasn’t really a problem.

Hybrid shifter: I mounted a genuine Mugen shift knob on this shifter, the shifting feeling feels soft compared to Acuity(I had asked for a stiffer spring). I had previously said before that the gate spacing was slightly shorter than Acuity, boy was I wrong....not much more you want out of a daily driving shifter.

I still prefer the Acuity shifter in the end and might end up going back to one the end of next year, anyone that has tried both shifters, feels free to give your input.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
Hey man, in that first picture we can see your reflection in the shift knob, and I don't want to cast any aspersions on your moral turpitude but, did that shifter give you a boner?

:)

(sorry, bored at work)
No but it made #4042 wet...

OP
OP
Tim818

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Hey man, in that first picture we can see your reflection in the shift knob, and I don't want to cast any aspersions on your moral turpitude but, did that shifter give you a boner?

:)

(sorry, bored at work)
Sort of....

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
I had previously said before that the gate spacing was slightly shorter than Acuity, boy was I wrong....not much more you want out of a daily driving shifter.
First off, thanks for the comparison. Could you clarify the above statement a bit? Are you saying the gate spacing is actually larger on the HR shifter?

hafadaze

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R (#1106)
Country flag
What's better for daily driving?

OP
OP
Tim818

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
First off, thanks for the comparison. Could you clarify the above statement a bit? Are you saying the gate spacing is actually larger on the HR shifter?
When I first installed the hybrid shifter, I didn’t use a shift knob to mess around with it before taking a drive, I just used my hands and thought the neutral gate spacing was slightly shorter than Acuity. When I put on the Mugen shift knob, the gate spacing felt more close to oem on the hybrid shifter.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
... My only concern was that the shifter didn’t come with holes to plug in the push mount clips for the wires but it wasn’t really a problem...
There were some holes on the prototype that I had but these were dropped for production. If you look at the stock shifter you will see all kinds of holes - and they are all used among the various CivicX variants. For example, my Canadian Type R's harnesses used holes that the USA cars did not. Putting in all the holes and the additional metal plates needed would have added cost and weight. I suspect that putting in just some of the holes would have been a support nightmare. Regardless, my understanding is that the holes on the shifter are primarily there to aid production on the assembly line; no functionality is lost, as they are not serving as strain reliefs.

Last edited:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
While the hybrid shifter looks the best, and should be displayed, I went with acuity. Been waiting for far too long not to. Besides the purdy color was sold out.

geekzilla

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I really like the stock FK8 shifter with an aftermarket weighted knob - but I do feel like the "throw" is way too long, and would love to lower the knob by about an inch. Been eyeing the Acuity one for a long time but $479 just seems too unreasonably expensive. $400 for the Hybrid Racing is a little better but the range for the throw is a lot less (-20% reduction compared to -46% for the Acuity?!).

My question for anyone who has used both - which is "smoother" through the gears? Is one or the other less notchy?
Is it possible to have too short of a throw?

Topsportsman916

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Sport Touring & 2019 Rallye Red CTR
Country flag
I just installed the Hybrid racing shifter in my car. Initial impression is that I feel the shift (gears engaging) for lack of a better description. I definitely like the 2nd to 3rd & 4th to 5th shifts a lot better than the stock shifter.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I have more or less the same experience as you. I sold my Acuity and kept the Hybrid Racing, I am now having some regrets though and want to go back to an Acuity. The Hybrid does feel more comfortable for daily driving and the red is a killer look. When you use a heavy shift knob the Acuity feels much better being stiffer though to me, while it's too stiff for some for me it feels fun to drive because of the firmness of the shifter.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have been running the Hybrid Racing short shifter for exactly a week now. After a week of use I can say that the shifts definitely feel more precise. I love that the gear changes are shorter but not too short. The build quality is ridiculous and you can feel it in the shifts. I’ve very happy with it. I did play around with all the settings that are available and I do believe the best overall experience is exactly how they ship it to you. I did have the acuity on my previous 9th gen and it did feel more “race”. What I mean by that is more mechanical, more like the shifter that would be in a race car. But for me and the way I drive my Type R I don’t want to sacrifice the refined feel the Type R has so I think the Hybrid Racing Short Shifter is the perfect balance between stock and Acuity. They nailed the feeling I was after.
Sponsored