**The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!**

1sloazfk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Well I definitely didn't hit my set goal for SLB but at least managed 1.2 seconds faster for a 2:36.8 over last year, car feels like it could knock out a 2.33 easy if I get comfortable. The power with the new build felt great even with a few areas of trying to put it to the ground or falling out of the power band.

But I guess that is what I get with really only a few hours of testing all the new upgrades once I fixed the brakes. So know it is time to do suspension as that felt really lacking since it is stock.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Well I definitely didn't hit my set goal for SLB but at least managed 1.2 seconds faster for a 2:36.8 over last year, car feels like it could knock out a 2.33 easy if I get comfortable. The power with the new build felt great even with a few areas of trying to put it to the ground or falling out of the power band.

But I guess that is what I get with really only a few hours of testing all the new upgrades once I fixed the brakes. So know it is time to do suspension as that felt really lacking since it is stock.
Congrats, hopefully you had little to no problems for the event. Saw you and all the other FK8s on the stream. Sucks that Dustin must have blown up his motor but thats the name of the game I suppose. Was also cool to see Jepps hit a 2:26 and Jackie Ding set that crazy PB.

Interested to get your thoughts on how the turbo performed as well.

1sloazfk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Congrats, hopefully you had little to no problems for the event. Saw you and all the other FK8s on the stream. Sucks that Dustin must have blown up his motor but thats the name of the game I suppose. Was also cool to see Jepps hit a 2:26 and Jackie Ding set that crazy PB.

Interested to get your thoughts on how the turbo performed as well.
I heard Dustin drive by after that session and felt his pain, I think 2 FK8s went down over the whole weekend of the 6 or 7 total I saw out there. Jeff definitely drove really well and I got a few ideas from him on what to do next, already looking at coilovers and got a RV6 rear sway on order when they are no longer backordered.

The RV6 turbo felt amazing and definitely gets the car moving, I did manage a good run onto the back straight of COTA and touched 143mph and I think having the intake and inlet pipe really let the turbo breathe and allow its full potential, for a direct bolt on it gets the job done.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I heard Dustin drive by after that session and felt his pain, I think 2 FK8s went down over the whole weekend of the 6 or 7 total I saw out there. Jeff definitely drove really well and I got a few ideas from him on what to do next, already looking at coilovers and got a RV6 rear sway on order when they are no longer backordered.

The RV6 turbo felt amazing and definitely gets the car moving, I did manage a good run onto the back straight of COTA and touched 143mph and I think having the intake and inlet pipe really let the turbo breathe and allow its full potential, for a direct bolt on it gets the job done.

A lot of speculation going on over what caused Dustins failure would be interested to see what he finds out.

Ill be putting a Unit2 fabrication baffled oil pan on my car after this season lol. I could imagine a large track like COTA causing enough G force to get the oil to slosh and potentially starve the motor. What happened to the other type R?

Did anyone have issues with heat mitigation?

Will be interested with what coilovers you decide to pursue!

1sloazfk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I can't remember what happened to the other red one, I saw it out for one session and then never again.

I know Jeff mentioned some heat issues, but he is making 500hp off 100 octane iirc, I know I hit around 240*F before the LogR app crapped out and stopped working so did a cool down lap and tried for a ringer lap after.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the same RSR setup Jeff has with a 10k/13k spring rate, mix that with the RV6 sway bar and hopefully I get the rotation I need. Have also been looking at a dry sump setup to grab in the future but need to do a little more digging in reliability.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
Ill be putting a Unit2 fabrication baffled oil pan on my car after this season lol. I could imagine a large track like COTA causing enough G force to get the oil to slosh and potentially starve the motor.
Did he have an oil starvation problem? :oops::oops: I constantly hit 1.3-1.4G at my local track, but after some reading I thought this was a non issue with the k20c1. People used to overfill their k20z3 to compensate for that.

before the LogR app crapped out and stopped working so did a cool down lap and tried for a ringer lap after.
Yes, LogR does that. Your data connection must have failed momentarily and it requires you to reopen the app to start working again. I managed to hack a fix on mine - it was driving me nuts having it fail mid session.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Did he have an oil starvation problem? :oops::oops: I constantly hit 1.3-1.4G at my local track, but after some reading I thought this was a non issue with the k20c1. People used to overfill their k20z3 to compensate for that.

Yes, LogR does that. Your data connection must have failed momentarily and it requires you to reopen the app to start working again. I managed to hack a fix on mine - it was driving me nuts having it fail mid session.
Oh I dunno if he had an oil issue to be honest, but with a track like COTA Im curious to see how high the Gs get. Definitely wouldnt hurt to have a baffled pan haha, would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it I suppose.

Brandondan1

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 91 Civic Si
Country flag
I can't remember what happened to the other red one, I saw it out for one session and then never again.

I know Jeff mentioned some heat issues, but he is making 500hp off 100 octane iirc, I know I hit around 240*F before the LogR app crapped out and stopped working so did a cool down lap and tried for a ringer lap after.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the same RSR setup Jeff has with a 10k/13k spring rate, mix that with the RV6 sway bar and hopefully I get the rotation I need. Have also been looking at a dry sump setup to grab in the future but need to do a little more digging in reliability.
Whoa, is he running an aftermarket turbo? What kind of top speed were yal hitting down the long straight?

I had similar spring rates when I ran a 2:32. It's definitely a good compromise between street and track. I'll be trying stiffer next time I go though.

1sloazfk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Whoa, is he running an aftermarket turbo? What kind of top speed were yal hitting down the long straight?

I had similar spring rates when I ran a 2:32. It's definitely a good compromise between street and track. I'll be trying stiffer next time I go though.
He had the Rampage fab setup, we both hit somewhere between 140-145mph.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
COTA has a lot fair amount of high speed sweepers which means high G load for a longer period of time. The time is really what makes the difference, most wet sump engines are fine for a few seconds at high Gs but more than that arbitrary number and the pickup will starve. The oil pump sucks the entire oil capacity in a matter of seconds at high RPM so you want as much of that oil to be able to drain back to the pickup as well as possible. That's where good pan baffling makes all the difference in the world, if you can keep as much oil as possible around the pickup and control the oil returning from the rotating assembly and head then that few second window at high Gs can grow to 30s or a minute+.

I would highly encourage anyone serious about tracking these cars to invest in an oil pressure gauge. If you're dropping below ~30psi in corners you are going to experience accelerated engine wear and at some point something will let go. We see it in Evos all the time, they drop pressure badly in long righthand sweepers and can only live that way for so long before a bearing can't take it anymore. I'd also recommend looking at getting a Unit2 pan, they've proven their pans work very well on some fast cars. It doesn't apply to many guys here but we're just starting development of our pan baffle for the L15B7 :)

I can't speak on front spring rates since the FK8 is different than our FK7 but I have 750lb (13.5k) springs in the rear coupled with a 25mm Eibach bar and the car rotates very well.

GreenMachineGTE

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
My personal best with Chin Track Days at VIR. I ran into some traffic at turn 10, despite this I still have a lot to work on. Thinking I should be able to get my times down to the 2:09's.

Mufasa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
My personal best with Chin Track Days at VIR. I ran into some traffic at turn 10, despite this I still have a lot to work on. Thinking I should be able to get my times down to the 2:09's.

Sweet driving! How did you like driving with Chin track days? The pricing looks very reasonable to get an instructor with you when driving.
Sponsored