midlyfecrysisFK8

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (FK8) Boost Blue
Country flag
First track day, yesterday, at Atlanta Motorsports Park was a blast. I learned a lot about the car, my skill, and just track driving overall along with meeting some awesome people. Definitely impatiently waiting on the next day on 11/7. What sucks though is I found this morning that the power wire to my dash came had come lose at some point so none of sessions were recorded. Will have to learn from that one... After running completely stock I know where I want to focus on upgrading which will have to start with wheels/tires and cooling. I am currently happy with the power and don't feel the need to really mess with anything. Especially with some of the issues I witnessed with other Type R owners having throughout the multiple sessions.

With all that, what data logger is everyone running? Obviously LogR is still screwed and the phone based app I downloaded was not the greatest experience....even when it decided to work. I don't want to go too high in cost, but that part is flexible depending on the trade offs.

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** IMG_20211020_185556

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** PXL_20211020_183927757

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
If I log anything, its with Hondata. This year, I ran a coolant temp gauge so I could keep a closer eye on temps, I plan to do the same with an oil temp gauge next year.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First track day, yesterday, at Atlanta Motorsports Park was a blast. I learned a lot about the car, my skill, and just track driving overall along with meeting some awesome people. Definitely impatiently waiting on the next day on 11/7. What sucks though is I found this morning that the power wire to my dash came had come lose at some point so none of sessions were recorded. Will have to learn from that one... After running completely stock I know where I want to focus on upgrading which will have to start with wheels/tires and cooling. I am currently happy with the power and don't feel the need to really mess with anything. Especially with some of the issues I witnessed with other Type R owners having throughout the multiple sessions.

With all that, what data logger is everyone running? Obviously LogR is still screwed and the phone based app I downloaded was not the greatest experience....even when it decided to work. I don't want to go too high in cost, but that part is flexible depending on the trade offs.

IMG_20211020_185556.jpg

PXL_20211020_183927757.jpg
Glad you had a fun time and have now been bitten by the track bug!

Most of us use either an AIM SOLO or Garmin catalyst.

Other phone based options are: Hotlap, Harry’s Lap Timer or Track Addict.

chester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm thinking about trying to use Honda Hack to install Track Addict on my stock head unit. Has anyone else done this?

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

IMG_20211020_185556.jpg

PXL_20211020_183927757.jpg
I got a Racebox I just used at AMP yesterday...great tool for the money! Less than $300 on amazon

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
But I’m reluctant to do any mods until I start hitting the true limit of the car in its current form. Yes the car was sliding and screeching at the track, but I feel that these are artificial limits created by my inexperience, and a more competent driver can drive the car much faster without hitting those limits. So I want to start with the driver mods. Once I feel that I’m approaching the true limits of the car, I will start modding.
That's the approach I'm taking. Here's my experience, yours will probably be different;
I boiled the OEM brake fluid and corded the front left tire on track day #3 (4650 miles). I forgot to rotate the tires after day 2, could have gotten another track day out of them.

Switched to MX72 pads, Amsoil Signature, and R18 Advan A088 tires for track days 4-7. Days 6 & 7 I started smearing the MX72 pads on the rotors.

I am switching out to Carbotech XP10/8 (front/rear) for days 8 & 9 coming up. Will still be able to use them on the street in Phoenix (warm enough here). These might not end up lasting me the full pad life either. Some folks have suggested I go all the way to XP20's. But then I don't think I could daily those.

Are any of these better or worse for being able to overlay data on dashcam video?

And on that note, what video editing are people using to do so? I'd like to overlay not just the data, but the rear camera footage as well.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
That is definately the price point I was looking for. Thanks!
Just for situational awareness... few shots from the Racebox app. Note speeds are KPH not MPH.

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** 4Mmh-SNRzoUZNxTJGwZz0r075w=w370-h657-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** l0BhLPrY3xdKDDhzzJwdDlDyHw=w370-h657-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** 6Ve6to_aPMrJnvV4Bh0M8T6fFN=w370-h657-no?authuser=0

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** xFiAZRGk3llyEdZ_-JhG3E6BjC=w370-h657-no?authuser=0

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Glad you had a fun time and have now been bitten by the track bug!

Speaking of the Catalyst, where do you guys mount it? it's a big unit and I don't like mounting it on the windshield. I saw Baxi mount it on the console screen. I like that placement as it doesn't impede vision, but I'm worried putting that suction and pull (it's not light) can damage the screen. Are there other mounting options?

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Are any of these better or worse for being able to overlay data on dashcam video?
My understanding is the following:

Both the Solo 2 DL and Garmin Catalyst allow you to record footage with telemetry gauges overlaid. Both of their cameras produce relatively low res video (720p and 1080p, respectively) at the low frame rate of 30 fps. For motorsports, you need at least 60 fps for smooth footage. The Solo 2 DL requires you to buy the SmartyCam HD, an expensive $1000 add-on. The Catalyst comes bundled with its own camera. The Solo 2 DL can connect to your OBD2 port and collect ECU metrics like throttle input, braking input, RPM, etc. The Catalyst does not have this capability. Its data is purely based on GPS.

Another option is to use a GoPro Hero camera (8, 9, or 10) and use its GPS and accelerometer/gyroscope data to render location on the track, speed, G-forces across three dimensions, elevation, etc. But you will have to re-process. your videos afterwards and render the overlaid gauges on top using tools like Telemetry Overlay for the Mac or DashWare for Windows. But you cannot see ECU data on the screen unless you're able to extract from an ECU data logger (Hondata, Solo 2 DL) and re-render the video with engine gauges using some tool.

I'm watching your thread about extracting the LogR app data and hoping that @kefi can convert it to a standard data logging format. This way we may be able to overlay it on GoPro footage.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I have a Garmin Catalyst and really like it as it is immediately available for review. OTOH, it does not give any data from the car and is therefore quite limited. Also when the device determines your optimal lap it is only based on what YOU have driven before and not on any other factors. Therefore you need to deliberately try some different lines over a number of different laps to come up with an "optimal" lap. The lap timer function is very accurate and the verbal "coaching" is quite a bit of fun although when , for example , when approaching a double apex corner, it may say "next left, apex earlier" and I don't know if it is referring to the first or second apex. (I usually assume the first). Mounting using the Garmin mount on the windshield has been fine and I guess I sit high enough in the car that is does not disturb my vision.

I also have an old Solo lap timer that is so old that it doesn't even have the OBD2 connectivity but does allow for better analysis of your actual driving by plotting G forces and speeds over distance which is much more helpful in actually improving your lap times but has to be downloaded to a computer. The software also allows you to compare different days and results. Interestingly the lap timer functions have never been more than a couple of hundredths of a second difference between the 2 devices but the minimum cornering speeds have been interpreted as a bit different on the Solo vs the Garmin. Top speeds are pretty much identical.

Neither tool is perfect and not up to more superior data logging but both have their advantages. The instant replay and ongoing "coaching" of the Garmin are a lot of fun but there is likely more useful data from the AiM Solo device although it is obviously delayed and not immediate.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Ill hopefully be picking up the solo2 this winter

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Speaking of the Catalyst, where do you guys mount it? it's a big unit and I don't like mounting it on the windshield. I saw Baxi mount it on the console screen. I like that placement as it doesn't impede vision, but I'm worried putting that suction and pull (it's not light) can damage the screen. Are there other mounting options?
I mount mine on the lower passenger side windshield to not obstruct view. Using a Thing3 3D printed clip to help it stay in place, no issues so far. I keep my headunit clean for viewing the Hondata gauges.

My understanding is the following:

Both the Solo 2 DL and Garmin Catalyst allow you to record footage with telemetry gauges overlaid. Both of their cameras produce relatively low res video (720p and 1080p, respectively) at the low frame rate of 30 fps. For motorsports, you need at least 60 fps for smooth footage. The Solo 2 DL requires you to buy the SmartyCam HD, an expensive $1000 add-on. The Catalyst comes bundled with its own camera. The Solo 2 DL can connect to your OBD2 port and collect ECU metrics like throttle input, braking input, RPM, etc. The Catalyst does not have this capability. Its data is purely based on GPS.

Another option is to use a GoPro Hero camera (8, 9, or 10) and use its GPS and accelerometer/gyroscope data to render location on the track, speed, G-forces across three dimensions, elevation, etc. But you will have to re-process. your videos afterwards and render the overlaid gauges on top using tools like Telemetry Overlay for the Mac or DashWare for Windows. But you cannot see ECU data on the screen unless you're able to extract from an ECU data logger (Hondata, Solo 2 DL) and re-render the video with engine gauges using some tool.

I'm watching your thread about extracting the LogR app data and hoping that @kefi can convert it to a standard data logging format. This way we may be able to overlay it on GoPro footage.
You are correct on this. I use a GoPro Hero 9 mounted to passenger seat via Gorillapod. Use the AIM SOLO 2 DL to gather ECU data, and DashWare to overlay telemetry. It is a bit of a process, but it is the absolute best for reviewing track footage/data. The AIM smartycam sucks. Its expensive and footage quality is lacking. The Catalyst makes things really easy with data overlay as it is a simple export from the tablet itself, but the telemetry is limited. The instant feedback after a session is unmatched however and is very useful.

Examples of both:

AIM SOLO 2 DL + GoPro

Garmin Catalyst

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Speaking of GoPros, do you guys recommend special settings for shooting in the car? My footage on default values optimized exposure inside the car, which led to an over-exposed (too bright) footage of the track. There is a way to touch the camera viewfinder screen and drag the spot meter square/brackets to the track area to optimize exposure for it, but it's hassle if you have to do it every time before you start recording. Are there recommended ProTune settings, such as ISO minimum/maximum, shutter speed, and/or EV COMP?
Sponsored