First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello hello!
I've owned the car for about 3 years now and have done about 2 years of tracking. I'm trying to do my best at avoiding modifications to the car as much as I can so that whenever I decide to participate at an SCCA event I can stay in a class that favors the car extremely well! :p (D-Street)

I've done very minor mods altogether and have put quite a bit of seat time in. I'm located in Dallas, Tx. Here to add any of my experiences to the pot and hopefully help out the community in any way I can.

(My current pb is somewhere in the 2:12 or 2:11 area, but I haven't been able to push too much as the car needs some stuff now.)
Sponsored

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
Hi all,

I figured it was about time I added to this thread. I have a '19 that is pretty heavily modded with a long journey to go. My end goal is a fully dedicated track car. I have only seen a handful of track days but haven't even owned the car for a year yet. Just got in on the group by Paradon brakes and after that is some aero mods and suspension. Also a race seat with 6 point harness and some other goodies.

I have never had any issues with the car on the track. I ran a full HOT run at Pacific Raceways using an entire tank of fuel as a stress test and the car ran flawless (big contribution to Rampage and Mitch who tuned it). Ambient temps that day were low to mid 70s.

Exterior:
-Tinted Windows
-Yellow Filmed Fogs
-Titan 7 TS5 on Yokohama AD08R

Interior:
-EVS Tuning 4-Point Roll Bar

Performance:
-Radium Dual Catch Cans
-RV6 Catted Ceramic Down Pipe
-RV6 Ceramic Front Pipe
-Rampage Ti resonated Exhaust
-Rampage Ti Intake
-PRL HVI
-Hondata FlashPro: Kiwi Tuned by @Rampagefab
-Hasport FCRR 62A
-Hondata Fuel System Upgrade
-PRL Intercooler w/ Charge Pipes
-Rampage 3.5" MAF Housing
-Rampage Drop-in Turbo RS-550

Cooling:
-Acuity Reverse Flow Coolant Hoses
-Koyo Radiator
-USR Turbo Blanket

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Can we put this thread somewhere where it is easy to find? Last post was 2 weeks ago but for others who haven't seen it before, it is likely lost in the flotsam and jetsom.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Can we put this thread somewhere where it is easy to find? Last post was 2 weeks ago but for others who haven't seen it before, it is likely lost in the flotsam and jetsom.
maybe a mod can sticky this!

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
I think there should be section for Track/Autocross in the Type R area, but that's just me. So many of the same questions come up about the same thing. The threads regarding overheating on track is spread out in different areas. I know there's been questions about track set ups.

Outside of that the other weekend at WMHM21 I should've brought the Type R to Gingerman as it was cooler than expected but brought out the S instead just due to overheating issues. Forgot how much fun the S is, even though the CTR is way easier to drive.

Will be at Mid-Ohio and possibly Type R Expo at Autobahn in August. Unsure of which car to bring, will play it by ear for weather. I'd love to drive the CTR at Mid-O, but predicted weather states it's like 80's.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Im surprised theres no track section honestly..

I might hit up Type R expo as well!

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I've noticed one of the biggest costs associated with tracking the R (specifically '20+) are front rotors. The OEM two piece are about $300 a piece, with options from places like Project.Mu or rolloface being around $800 a pair. Can you run one piece rotors from the 2017-2019 cars on the '20+ ones? The options are a bit more economical there, including drilled centric ones for $76 a piece at TR https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bra...Model=Civic+Type+R&autoYear=2020&autoModClar=

or these from EBC for ~$260 for a pair. https://www.maperformance.com/produ...otor-set-2017-2018-honda-civic-type-r-usr2028

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1) How do we get this topic it's own section?

2) What sort of rear tire pressures do you guys use at the track? I would have thought the easiest way to get some rotation is to keep the rear pressures at least a few pounds higher than the fronts. Not really prepared to go to rear toe out and haven't got a rear sway bar....yet.

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
While looking at ways to better the cars cooling I ran across something interesting. I by no means am an expert in how aerodynamics works for cooling but have a basic understanding.

On the grill there is a top slot that is the air feed for the intake (drivers side) and a feed that directs air over the radiator. See image.
Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** 1627422980997

I find it odd to have air be diverted around the radiator, maybe this was used to help push the hot air buildup to the rear of the engine where it should escape out the side vents? Curious as to why there is such a big diverter I went hunting for the TC track car and noticed they have it blocked off. See image
Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** 1627423193535

Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Question for those of you who track your cars but also do a lot of street driving in regards to oil, specifically 300V.

Are you guys keeping 300v in your cars all the time? or do you switch to a different oil in between track days?

My car sees a fair amount of street driving, therefore the mileage racks up quickly, so I was considering using a regular grade oil, for instance, 8100 eco lite.

Is it a big deal to be switching from a racing grade oil to conventional oil in between events? I forsee myself doing probably 3-5 HPDEs a summer, a couple of those on smaller courses where top speed is maybe 100mph down a straight.

Thanks,

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Question for those of you who track your cars but also do a lot of street driving in regards to oil, specifically 300V.

Are you guys keeping 300v in your cars all the time? or do you switch to a different oil in between track days?

My car sees a fair amount of street driving, therefore the mileage racks up quickly, so I was considering using a regular grade oil, for instance, 8100 eco lite.

Is it a big deal to be switching from a racing grade oil to conventional oil in between events? I forsee myself doing probably 3-5 HPDEs a summer, a couple of those on smaller courses where top speed is maybe 100mph down a straight.

Thanks,
Just keep 300v in the car and change when the minder tells you. The UOAs have shown to me that the minder is pretty accurate in regards to oil life. Change as often you feel comfortable

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Just keep 300v in the car and change when the minder tells you. The UOAs have shown to me that the minder is pretty accurate in regards to oil life. Change as often you feel comfortable
So even after a track day, youre leaving the same oil in until the minder indicates a change is needed?

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
While looking at ways to better the cars cooling I ran across something interesting. I by no means am an expert in how aerodynamics works for cooling but have a basic understanding.

On the grill there is a top slot that is the air feed for the intake (drivers side) and a feed that directs air over the radiator. See image.
1627422980997.png

I find it odd to have air be diverted around the radiator, maybe this was used to help push the hot air buildup to the rear of the engine where it should escape out the side vents? Curious as to why there is such a big diverter I went hunting for the TC track car and noticed they have it blocked off. See image
1627423193535.png

Any thoughts on this?
Somebody on the forum already did this. Sorry I don’t recall username to give full credit. I’ve been meaning to try this out myself to report if there is any noticeable improvements in cooling. This “cooling plate” is a common mod in the NA/NB world. Mazda included a version of it from the factory on some later cars. I have one on my NA made out of aluminum but some simple ABS plastic like this would work.

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** 238498AC-D70B-4C17-A66B-488FCBCE927D

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** 18902601-6356-40CB-950C-67379AA441F9

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Somebody on the forum already did this. Sorry I don’t recall username to give full credit. I’ve been meaning to try this out myself to report if there is any noticeable improvements in cooling. This “cooling plate” is a common mod in the NA/NB world. Mazda included a version of it from the factory on some later cars. I have one on my NA made out of aluminum but some simple ABS plastic like this would work.

238498AC-D70B-4C17-A66B-488FCBCE927D.jpeg

18902601-6356-40CB-950C-67379AA441F9.jpeg
Does it work?