**The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!**

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
5inn, looks like your given her for sure. Thanks for posting

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Did an SCCA TNIA today from 4-8. Ambient temps were in the high 80s.

This course is a small technical course with short straights (was only able to hit mid to high 80s down the straight).

Car has a Koyorad and Acuity Hoses. Overall, Im pretty happy with how the car did, I was able to go 5-7 laps before needing 1 cool down followed by another 4-5 before the session ended. Car never really made it to the 3/4 mark, but my water temp gauge consistently had me in the 230s. I need to make sure it matches the ECT on Hondata to see if how accurate it is.

Oh, and I shredded one of my tires. The asphalt is very unforgiving.

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** PXL_20210818_234813075

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** PXL_20210818_234816353

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** PXL_20210818_234928793

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** PXL_20210819_011131517

Track Night In America - AlphaDigital

Last edited:

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Did an SCCA TNIA today from 4-8. Ambient temps were in the high 80s.

This course is a small technical course with short straights (was only able to hit mid to high 80s down the straight).

Car has a Koyorad and Acuity Hoses. Overall, Im pretty happy with how the car did, I was able to go 5-7 laps before needing 1 cool down followed by another 4-5 before the session ended. Car never really made it to the 3/4 mark, but my water temp gauge consistently had me in the 230s. I need to make sure it matches the ECT on Hondata to see if how accurate it is.

Oh, and I shredded one of my tires. The asphalt is very unforgiving.

PXL_20210818_234813075.jpg

PXL_20210818_234816353.jpg

PXL_20210818_234928793.jpg

PXL_20210819_011131517.jpg

Track Night In America - AlphaDigital
That’s what this thread is all about, really appreciate the feedback, especially the pics and video. I’ll be tackling my first track day this weekend.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Event was too fun not to attend again.

Signed up for Next months event haha

AR-Delta

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
Event was too fun not to attend again.

Signed up for Next months event haha
DCTC is a rough track for sure. You’re signed up for the Sept 24th one? I’m thinking of signing up…

also interested to see what your coolant temps were via hondata!

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Made it out in one piece after my first track day!! The car that is. Tires are OK, brakes are ok and temps never moved (IIRC 216 max coolant). For all of those wondering WTF, I hardly pushed the car, not many WOT pulls and just took it easy. I mainly wanted to experience the car on a track for the first time and get a baseline feel.

Track was Homestead Miami Speedway, infield - and temps were a ridiculous 91F, RH 57% and felt like 102.

The OEM pads surprised me, even Brembo equipped vehicles I've had in the past had trash oem pads. No fade, no fuss with these, I did notice the pedal stopping at a lower point towards the end but I'm sure pads aren't the same thickness as when I started the day. Tires were pretty darn good but then again, I'm sure my speed as shown in the videos wont amuse anyone ?. I only did two sessions of 16 minutes or so, continuously, no cooldown or stops. I'm sure if you throw a full day with 5-6 sessions, the story will end differently for the Contis.

I'll def want to invest in good track pads to feel confident going into turns at higher speeds and not worry about fade, but if you're on the fence and don't have the cash, OEM will get you through the day.
The same goes for tires, hot temps were running 38 front and 35 rear but they'll get you through a non-abusive day. I left 35-33 pressure at the beginning and bled air as needed, watching the sidewalls.

One somewhat scary thing that happened - first session I went R+ and didn't get any system warnings but second session I sued R+ with VSA fully off and towards the end of the session I got a Christmas tree of errors, all driver assist systems failed.. anti-collision, lane departure...I guess things got to hot, anyone experience this? Turning the car off for 3 secs and back on, everything went back to normal.

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** IMG_1280.JPEG
Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** IMG_1283.JPEG
Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** IMG_1284.JPEG

Honda Civic 10th gen **The FK8 Track Junkie Thread!!** IMG_1285.JPEG

Last edited:

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
How comfortable are you with changing your own pads at the track? It is a bit fiddly but not complicated and means you can have real track pads available for track days that can really work well with heat and won't fade away or wear away on you. There are certainly a number of street/track compounds but none of them are real track compounds although they may be enough for you. Sometimes it is worthwhile seeing if you can change the pads at home and sort of bed them in on the way to the track. Most track pads will work on the street although they will be very noisy and wear heavily when cold.

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
How comfortable are you with changing your own pads at the track? It is a bit fiddly but not complicated and means you can have real track pads available for track days that can really work well with heat and won't fade away or wear away on you. There are certainly a number of street/track compounds but none of them are real track compounds although they may be enough for you. Sometimes it is worthwhile seeing if you can change the pads at home and sort of bed them in on the way to the track. Most track pads will work on the street although they will be very noisy and wear heavily when cold.
I normally drive to the track with them, did so with Hawks DTC-50, Porterfield R4 and a few others. I live very close to the track and the route there includes very secluded long roads so bedding them isn’t an issue. I’m looking around trying to settle on a compound, track only.

AR-Delta

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
Make sure to find time to bed them in properly after you change them, otherwise you could run into issues on track.

I don’t daily mine but I’ve been running my W5 pads on the street, still have great stopping power ??‍♂

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
You will want good brake fluid to of course.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Made it out in one piece after my first track day!! The car that is. Tires are OK, brakes are ok and temps never moved (IIRC 216 max coolant). For all of those wondering WTF, I hardly pushed the car, not many WOT pulls and just took it easy. I mainly wanted to experience the car on a track for the first time and get a baseline feel.

Track was Homestead Miami Speedway, infield - and temps were a ridiculous 91F, RH 57% and felt like 102.

The OEM pads surprised me, even Brembo equipped vehicles I've had in the past had trash oem pads. No fade, no fuss with these, I did notice the pedal stopping at a lower point towards the end but I'm sure pads aren't the same thickness as when I started the day. Tires were pretty darn good but then again, I'm sure my speed as shown in the videos wont amuse anyone ?. I only did two sessions of 16 minutes or so, continuously, no cooldown or stops. I'm sure if you throw a full day with 5-6 sessions, the story will end differently for the Contis.

I'll def want to invest in good track pads to feel confident going into turns at higher speeds and not worry about fade, but if you're on the fence and don't have the cash, OEM will get you through the day.
The same goes for tires, hot temps were running 38 front and 35 rear but they'll get you through a non-abusive day. I left 35-33 pressure at the beginning and bled air as needed, watching the sidewalls.

One somewhat scary thing that happened - first session I went R+ and didn't get any system warnings but second session I sued R+ with VSA fully off and towards the end of the session I got a Christmas tree of errors, all driver assist systems failed.. anti-collision, lane departure...I guess things got to hot, anyone experience this? Turning the car off for 3 secs and back on, everything went back to normal.

I had something similar happen to me, although I believe it was caused by the excessive heat that day. Perhaps it was just a coincidence it happened when you turned VSA full off. Otherwise, congrats! Youll be bitten by the track bug in no time.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
DCTC is a rough track for sure. You’re signed up for the Sept 24th one? I’m thinking of signing up…

also interested to see what your coolant temps were via hondata!
Aaron,

DCTC is definitely rought LOL. Im signed up for 9/24, it was a great event and the people running it were fantastic. I would definitely sign up.

Last night I went and did some logging on Hondata to see what ECT was in comparison to my gauge. Surprisingly, my gauge read a consistent 5-10 degrees higher than what Hondata was reading. It got me thinking about what could potentially be the issue.

1. My temp sensor placement might be in the wrong spot? I have the acuity hoses, and I have the sensor in the hose coming out of the bottom of the radiator and into the motor right under the intake arm. Could it be that this spot is seeing higher temperatures due to the coolant coming from the bottom of the rad?

2. The calibration of my gauge is off. I will shoot innovate a message to see. The cable they gave me to connect to my laptop doesnt seem to be working, or its the converter cable for it.

Either way im not sure what to think. Based on my Innovate gauge, I definitely made it past 240 more than a few times during the sessions but never got a CEL. The interesting is, even when I was 230 and 240+, my digital gauge never made it much past 1/2. If thats the case, should I continue pushing it out on the course?

EDIT--------------------------

Its because where Ive tapped for the sensor. Since hoses are reverse flowing its pre-rad temps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I mightve clicked buy on a front camber kit last night.

Question for you guys.

Is it worth it for me to throw the camber kit on and leave the alignment pins in? or should I take the pins out and have the kit installed? Is there any benefit to either?

thanks.
Sponsored