Chicane_Si

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 SGP CTR (RIP), '05 SB S2000, 06 Silverado 1500
Country flag
I would highly recommend not writing off the PWR, it definitely does some major work, but you've gotta have the supporting mods for it. It dumps so much heat out, it has to have a place to escape, which a vented hood will assist with. The rad dumps more heat than any other one on the market, I would highly recommend, just remember you will need a place for it all to go.
Sponsored

Chicane_Si

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@b2point0h I've tried updating it and I haven't been successful in finding the place to do so! Any pointers? :D

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
One thing im interested in knowing is, how many consistent laps can you guys get out of a session before needing to cool down and for how many of them are you really wringing it out.

I think maybe the issue for me is needing to readjust my expectations on what I want out of an HPDE. To be fair, im not looking to be balls to the wall, 10/10ths for 20 minutes of a 20 minute session, I know that its an unreasonable expectation, but being 230-240 degrees just 4-5 laps in (85 degree day) with only 1 of those laps being hard is killing me.

Anyways, I appreciate the info and feedback. I certainly dont want to move away from this chassis because of this, but rather, id like to explore and learn about the different options and combinations available on this platform.

Clearly the PWR Track performs well, sheds heat very well, etc. Is it the only reasonable option out there for people wanting to turn as many hard laps as possible? Id like to find out.

Worth mentioning, I ran into this blog https://functiontheory.com/2022/04/my-fk8-gets-serious-cooling-upgrades/

He mentions running into another R owner with the PWR radiator overheating at LV. Maybe it was you @Chicane_Si

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
One thing im interested in knowing is, how many consistent laps can you guys get out of a session before needing to cool down and for how many of them are you really wringing it out.

I think maybe the issue for me is needing to readjust my expectations on what I want out of an HPDE. To be fair, im not looking to be balls to the wall, 10/10ths for 20 minutes of a 20 minute session, I know that its an unreasonable expectation, but being 230-240 degrees just 4-5 laps in (85 degree day) with only 1 of those laps being hard is killing me.

Anyways, I appreciate the info and feedback. I certainly dont want to move away from this chassis because of this, but rather, id like to explore and learn about the different options and combinations available on this platform.

Clearly the PWR Track performs well, sheds heat very well, etc. Is it the only reasonable option out there for people wanting to turn as many hard laps as possible? Id like to find out.

Worth mentioning, I ran into this blog https://functiontheory.com/2022/04/my-fk8-gets-serious-cooling-upgrades/

He mentions running into another R owner with the PWR radiator overheating at LV. Maybe it was you @Chicane_Si
I would take that blog with a grain of salt. Lots of misinformation, wrong theories and overall ignorant POV. I’ll add more to this when I have time to finish reading the post

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I would take that blog with a grain of salt. Lots of misinformation, wrong theories and overall ignorant POV. I’ll add more to this when I have time to finish reading the post
always interested to hear your .02, thanks.

Chicane_Si

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes that was me! I was talking to Billy at the track that day.

Unfortunately I could only get the one lap after the outlap before getting around 240*. Even letting it cool back to 200 I could only get half a lap before it came right back up. Most likely this was due to the engine bay being heat soaked from the radiator and not being able to let the heat out.

I haven't found any way to remove the heat that the car needs to remove to complete a whole session except for going with the hood, an oil cooler as well and removing the AC condensor :(

With Brandon's car you can definitely get one lap out of it with the Koyo rad, maybe another one with the PWR radiator, but its kinda limited to 2-3 laps it seems with all of the OEM replacement or OEM+ cooling as I like to call it.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't completely count out Billy's thoughts. He's quick and knowledgeable. Sub2 at BW with minimal mods.

Unfortunately I could only get the one lap after the outlap before getting around 240*. Even letting it cool back to 200 I could only get half a lap before it came right back up. Most likely this was due to the engine bay being heat soaked from the radiator and not being able to let the heat out.

I haven't found any way to remove the heat that the car needs to remove to complete a whole session except for going with the hood, an oil cooler as well and removing the AC condensor :(

With Brandon's car you can definitely get one lap out of it with the Koyo rad, maybe another one with the PWR radiator, but its kinda limited to 2-3 laps it seems with all of the OEM replacement or OEM+ cooling as I like to call it.
Also keep in mind that day at Vegas was super hot 85F+ with humidity. Even with all my cooling mods and E85, which usually keeps me cool at most other tracks, vegas weather was punishing and unforgiving. Hence the temps rising fast.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I too would love to hear your analysis. REading it I find things I believe are wrong with his understanding, but I'm not expert and would appreciate someone else's input.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Here’s a session at Thunderhill East. Day was 90F at 9 Am and hit over 100 during the day. We set a top 3 time in extreme heat while not having nearly as much tire or aero as the 2 other faster FK8s on this track. You can follow along with the temp gauges on my head unit in real time with the lapping. You’ll see how rapidly the radiator dumps heat. It was a steady 220ish the whole way through.

I didnt watch the whole video what time did he run? I think Jason has it currently at 1:57.1 currently right?

I only mention that because he came up with that secondary radiator I keep hyping up. He's on the OEM radiator and so am I. He has the East bypass record and I have the west record currently.

I REALLY think that secondary radiator helped it not overheat but also stay plenty cool to not pull power and allow me that fast lap. I ran all 20 minutes without ever going over 220-225 tops

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I didnt watch the whole video what time did he run? I think Jason has it currently at 1:57.1 currently right?

I only mention that because he came up with that secondary radiator I keep hyping up. He's on the OEM radiator and so am I. He has the East bypass record and I have the west record currently.

I REALLY think that secondary radiator helped it not overheat but also stay plenty cool to not pull power and allow me that fast lap. I ran all 20 minutes without ever going over 220-225 tops
He ran a 1:59.9. No front aero and on a 255 A052 with 2 hard track days on them. Weather was 90F for that lap time. I think with front aero and wider tires I’ll be able to get closer to 1:57.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
He ran a 1:59.9. No front aero and on a 255 A052 with 2 hard track days on them. Weather was 90F for that lap time. I think with front aero and wider tires I’ll be able to get closer to 1:57.
yea I think so! He did his on 285 super car 3r I think. Or do they sell a 295?

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag

Im on a koyo rad, acuity hoses, varis hood, 2020+ Grille, and 91 tune and on 80+ degree days its not the best. My next move is to put in my RV6 downpipe, FP, and retune. While everything is out, I plan on heat wrapping and putting a turbo blanket in the bay. But like I said, the @.grimace idea of a secondary rad up front might actually worthwhile as its a fraction of the cost of the PWR and seems to hold temps well.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I wouldn't completely count out Billy's thoughts. He's quick and knowledgeable. Sub2 at BW with minimal mods.

Also keep in mind that day at Vegas was super hot 85F+ with humidity. Even with all my cooling mods and E85, which usually keeps me cool at most other tracks, vegas weather was punishing and unforgiving. Hence the temps rising fast.
I wouldn’t have counted him out but the first few sections of his blog are just flat out ignorant. For example, there are several people who are very fast and don’t overheat. 220F isn’t considering overheating IMO. The thermostat and fans don’t even go full tilt until 200F.

He has an oil cooler in front of the AC condenser and radiator. Oil can easily reach 250F and all that hot air is dumping into the radiator. Just a terrible solution IMO since the radiator already has a hard time breathing so to speak.

I’ll gladly share knowledge with anyone who’s open to learning

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
yea I think so! He did his on 285 super car 3r I think. Or do they sell a 295?
We weren’t going time attack mode either that day. Literally just hot lap after hot lap and the car was consistent all day. The auxiliary radiator you guys works because it’s getting fresh air right at the nose of the car. If I keep the fk8 long term I plan to add the auxiliary rad near the passenger side fog light. I also need to further reduce radiating heat from hot parts with thermal shielding. I’m also looking into potentially doing a custom fan and shroud setup
Sponsored