AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
do not get that mishimoto secondary radiator. It is literally worthless other than just adding some extra coolant volume. A buddy got it and it sits so far down you get zero flow to it
yeah thats what I was concerned about.
Sponsored

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Def worth a shot at that price. Ill have to look a bit closer and see. With the amount of smoke coming from my rear pads the other day, I Thought the rear caliper was on fire. So ill definitely have to do something. heh.
If it was just one session, perhaps you left VSA fully on?

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
If it was just one session, perhaps you left VSA fully on?
Im positive I turned it off. The only confirmation that it is off, is in my video you can see the dash light is illuminated.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
When I was researching radiator options I was looking at Koyo, Full Race, Mishimoto, and PWR at as much data that was available as possible. Quite honestly, there wasnt a ton of data to look at. I was interested in seeing what the designs were like in terms of fin density, dimensions, surface area ETC.

I was also very interested in real world applications but nobody had anything available. Mishimoto didnt reply to my email, Full-Race did, but said they had no real world testing, and the only thing available from PWR was anecdotal evidence from members on the forum.

The Track version is so expensive I had to eliminate that from the get-go, and without anything from anyone else, I decided to just spend $300, and get a Koyo for now, because if I was going to overheat regardless, I may as well spend the least amount of change then.

Over the winter I think im gonna upgrade but want to try and gather more data if possible. Im still interested in PWR, Street and Track. If the Mishimoto and Full Race are decent id consider them, but I dont know if the jump is going to be worth it from just my Koyo.
What data do you need for the PWR? Setting lap records here at the NorCal tracks in 90F + weather without overheating should be sufficient I’d think.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
What data do you need for the PWR? Setting lap records here at the NorCal tracks in 90F + weather without overheating should be sufficient I’d think.
In all honesty, anything that is available to see. Its cool to see designs, and PWR does give good detail about how their radiators are designed, so maybe referring more to Koyo, Full Race, and Mishimoto.

I enjoy reading the engineering blogs that Mishimoto posts and seeing real world testing and examples.

Obviously, @Lust , youre a prime example of someone using the PWR radiator without overheating issues. I wish there were more people available to provide their feedback. Noah's feedback from Las Vegas was the opposite of yours, but I dont believe he is as extensively modded as you.

Things Im interested in knowing when reading about the different radiator cooling options are

1. The track the testing was done at
2. Weather conditions
3. Peak water temps
4. How many laps can be done before needing to come off

Obviously, 4 is subjective, and based on the driver, and how hard he or she is pushing.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The other thing I figured id add too, is that setting lap records is without a doubt a great thing, but for some people you can go out and set a lap record within 2 laps if the conditions were right. And while id like to do that, at this point im trying to figure out how I can get decent lapping in without having ECTs climb above 230 halfway through a 20 minute session.

Unless its a sub 70 degree day it gets a bit tough. Id like to say, I could just toss a whole bunch of money into a cooling setup but I do like to research all the options before doing that. At this point, I might just consider doing the Grimace auxilary radiator setup.

Last edited:

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
In all honesty, anything that is available to see. Its cool to see designs, and PWR does give good detail about how their radiators are designed, so maybe referring more to Koyo, Full Race, and Mishimoto.

I enjoy reading the engineering blogs that Mishimoto posts and seeing real world testing and examples.

Obviously, @Lust , youre a prime example of someone using the PWR radiator without overheating issues. I wish there were more people available to provide their feedback. Noah's feedback from Las Vegas was the opposite of yours, but I dont believe he is as extensively modded as you.

Things Im interested in knowing when reading about the different radiator cooling options are

1. The track the testing was done at
2. Weather conditions
3. Peak water temps
4. How many laps can be done before needing to come off

Obviously, 4 is subjective, and based on the driver, and how hard he or she is pushing.
I will never recommend any Mishimoto product. They share their R&D only for marketing purposes and their products never perform as advertised. They buy cheap China cores which is why they don’t perform well.

Who’s Noah and what other info is available for his setup?

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I will never recommend any Mishimoto product. They share their R&D only for marketing purposes and their products never perform as advertised. They buy cheap China cores which is why they don’t perform well.

Who’s Noah and what other info is available for his setup?
Noah Gaither. Im not sure if hes on this forum but hes friends with @b2point0h and hes pretty quick as well.

Heres his video regarding the PWR Track radiator

Ive always heard mixed reviews about Mishimoto products, but its also nice to see people using them successfuly. @REDRAGN I think holds a Road Atlanta record with his CTR or at least was well on his way to one before the fire on a mishimoto radiator.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Noah Gaither. Im not sure if hes on this forum but hes friends with @b2point0h and hes pretty quick as well.

Heres his video regarding the PWR Track radiator

Ive always heard mixed reviews about Mishimoto products, but its also nice to see people using them successfuly. @REDRAGN I think holds a Road Atlanta record with his CTR or at least was well on his way to one before the fire on a mishimoto radiator.
Didnt watch every second of the video but did he actually overheat? Or just hit 240F and considered that overheating?

I watched his data comparison and it was in line with my findings. The PWR sheds heat like no other and paired with the right mods, will solve over heating.

I noticed he’s tuned as well and that plays a huge role in things. I wouldn’t write off the PWR because of this.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Didnt watch every second of the video but did he actually overheat? Or just hit 240F and considered that overheating?

I watched his data comparison and it was in line with my findings. The PWR sheds heat like no other and paired with the right mods, will solve over heating.

I noticed he’s tuned as well and that plays a huge role in things. I wouldn’t write off the PWR because of this.
Also worth mentioning that day at Vegas was quite hot. Noah: @Chicane_Si . Prob need to update that username, people can't find you

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Here’s a session at Thunderhill East. Day was 90F at 9 Am and hit over 100 during the day. We set a top 3 time in extreme heat while not having nearly as much tire or aero as the 2 other faster FK8s on this track. You can follow along with the temp gauges on my head unit in real time with the lapping. You’ll see how rapidly the radiator dumps heat. It was a steady 220ish the whole way through.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Thanks for the vid. @Lust are you untuned? for some reason I thought you were on Ktuner?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Also worth mentioning that day at Vegas was quite hot. Noah: @Chicane_Si . Prob need to update that username, people can't find you
Thanks for the vid. @Lust are you untuned? for some reason I thought you were on Ktuner?
Im FBO and custom tuned by Derek. The bolt ons I have are also very specific which I go into detail on my build thread. Not all bolt ons are good bolt ons.
Sponsored