.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
These are all tuned cars I imagine. I don't see a stock powered CTR needing all of this.
stock I can overheat the CTR in one or two laps on a hot day. This car can't run in temps of 80+ without overheating. Anyone who isn't always has a slow lap time. Not being mean but everyone who says they don't overheat isn't going fast.
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
stock I can overheat the CTR in one or two laps on a hot day. This car can't run in temps of 80+ without overheating. Anyone who isn't always has a slow lap time. Not being mean but everyone who says they don't overheat isn't going fast.
Keyword there is "all".

I don't live in a area that normally hits 80+, so I'm not worried. Today it's 64, I may need to go a bit faster though. ?

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Well yea, if your climate doesnā€™t get hot you likely wonā€™t overheat. Most people have summers over 80 though

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Good stuff, do you think the Koyo will cut it?
So the Koyo will be tested for the 2021 season. I am following guys running the PWR/C&R as well, and perhaps will test in 2022. I have no doubt it's s great performing radiator because the Cali guys are putting them through the test in 100f+ days.

With our setup and conditions here in Toronto, at most ever after humidity will be between 95-100f ambient, but typically a 75-85f is a good summer day here. Don't get me wrong, FK8's still overheat here when pushed hard especially at Toronto Motorsports Park, a track that's pretty technical rather than flowy and hard on brakes. I am trying to collect data on who's running what setup locally and how they are holding up.

In terms of our own setup the larger grille being a 2020 (ps. @dixie1 love what you did with the grille!), and not yet adding a tune will help. Let's see how many hot laps before ECT climbs to 225-230f.

Just waiting for tires to arrive so we can get back out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
So the Koyo will be tested for the 2021 season. I am following guys running the PWR/C&R as well, and perhaps will test in 2022. I have no doubt it's s great performing radiator because the Cali guys are putting them through the test in 100f+ days.

With our setup and conditions here in Toronto, at most ever after humidity will be between 95-100f ambient, but typically a 75-85f is a good summer day here. Don't get me wrong, FK8's still overheat here when pushed hard especially at Toronto Motorsports Park, a track that's pretty hard on brakes. I am trying to collect data on who's running what setup locally and how they are holding up.

In terms of our own setup the larger grille being a 2020 (ps. @dixie1 love what you did with the grille!), and not yet adding a tune will help. Let's see how many hot laps before ECT climbs to 225-230f.

Just waiting for tires to arrive so we can get back out!
Nice, let us know how the data collection goes

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
Ran Autobahn Country Club South this past weekend and nothing but overheating issues as we already know. Can only get really 1.5 hot laps in before that gauge starts creeping up. Granted it was hot, 80-90 degrees ambient temp. Guess it's time for a radiator, reverse hoses, and oil cooler.

Still testing out the Paragon brakes and loving them. Using their front 2 piece rotors paired with P5 all around. Impressed with how deep the brakes can still grab along with great modulation with our braking system in the FK8.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Ran Autobahn Country Club South this past weekend and nothing but overheating issues as we already know. Can only get really 1.5 hot laps in before that gauge starts creeping up. Granted it was hot, 80-90 degrees ambient temp. Guess it's time for a radiator, reverse hoses, and oil cooler.

Still testing out the Paragon brakes and loving them. Using their front 2 piece rotors paired with P5 all around. Impressed with how deep the brakes can still grab along with great modulation with our braking system in the FK8.
Nice, did you run Grid life then?

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
Nice, did you run Grid life then?
Yup that's correct. I will mostly likely be at every event that's in the Midwest region for Gridlife. So far this season has been Blackhawk Farms, Gingerman Raceway, and ABCC South. I believe I have 3 or 4 more events this season and expecting to have overheating issues at each one other than maybe Road America being in the fall which I am hoping for cool weather.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Yup that's correct. I will mostly likely be at every event that's in the Midwest region for Gridlife. So far this season has been Blackhawk Farms, Gingerman Raceway, and ABCC South. I believe I have 3 or 4 more events this season and expecting to have overheating issues at each one other than maybe Road America being in the fall which I am hoping for cool weather.
wishing you luck man! I hope I can run an event at some point next year. I really want to get out to BHF this year but I dont know if that will happen.

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
Sorry to say...I was just at Road America this past weekend. First time with the CTR ontrack. Overheating is real...even with the C&R radiator in 72 degree weather.

It was 72 degrees.
I have the C&R track radiator and intercooler installed.
No tune or engine mods.
18x9.5 wheels w 265/35/18 Hankook RS4
ST43 PADS W SRF FLUID
-no limp mode BUT...
Temp gauge was 3 bars away from H after 3 laps.
Power was waaaay down at this point.
Ran heater on full hot after this first session. Would get maybe 1 full lap of decent power and then power started getting pulled a lot. Short shifted at 6500 rpm.

I will be adding a vented hood and resending.

Ended up running a 2:41.9 with these issues. I sure hope I can figure out these overheat issues.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
We have a local guy that runs a bunch of GL events with his R and as far as I know he has a Koyo radiator and hes putting in some work. I think he won GL NOLA and got 3rd at Gingerman this year. I know hes done RA and BIR too, and as far as I know hes staying cool. He drives like a bat outta hell though.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
@dsm_mikey the vented hood will make a huge difference. Iā€™m same mods as you with a vented hood AND down in TX and havenā€™t had an issue yet.

OP
OP
AlphaDigital

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I likely can only go with 1 of two options this year. Either a vented hood or C&R upgrade. should I roll the dice? LOL