The Fast Lane Car 2020 Type R and Si comparison

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Yep, no sport mode and it looked like traction control not disabled. We all know it cuts power which would explain the significant understeer he was describing in both cars on power out of corners.
TC was fully disabled, you can see the blinking light around when he took off for the Si track run.
Sponsored

SCcanyoncrvr

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’ve driven both and of course since the type r wasn’t mine I didn’t drive it as hard as my Si but I can say the Si to Type R there is no comparison. The additional 10-12k is well worth it if you can afford.

OP
OP
mocaSi

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si & 2016 Honda Fit
Country flag
DOPE! Love the Type R but just cannot afford it haha, not comfortably at least. Also, sounds kinda silly but I really wish the Type R was a coupe or a 2 door hatch. That would be it !
Yeah man I love it too, it's a sick car. I'm with you on that, I could "afford" one but it would make my life stressful at the moment. I do intend on having one within the next couple of years. I love the Si so much, because it's an amazing car in its own right that I'm going to try and keep it when I get an R on down the road. Yeah I love that it's a 4 door hatch and I'm crazy about the looks but a 2 door hatch or a coupe would be sick too.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Can anybody explain why the drag race was so close? I'm shocked. :oops:

FWDFREDO

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, Honda Ruckus
Country flag
Rif
Yeah man I love it too, it's a sick car. I'm with you on that, I could "afford" one but it would make my life stressful at the moment. I do intend on having one within the next couple of years. I love the Si so much, because it's an amazing car in its own right that I'm going to try and keep it when I get an R on down the road. Yeah I love that it's a 4 door hatch and I'm crazy about the looks but a 2 door hatch or a coupe would be sick too.
right there with you. Def. want one, a yellow one haha, but then again I would not mind building an EF hatch from scratch ???. Perks of working at a shop

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Can anybody explain why the drag race was so close? I'm shocked. :oops:
The short version, it was a very short distance race. Having driven a Type R, 0 to 30 is very similar to the Si as the R doesn't start putting power down until 3000 RPM. Just like the Si, you can't push too much power to the front wheels at once. I can't even explain to you the pull it has between 3k and 7k. You have to experience it. Although I can take a Type R from a dig 0-60, I have no illusions that I can beat one once that turbo kicks in

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I haven't watched the video yet. Regarding drag racing I don't think I can fully explain why but the Type R is a lot harder than the Si is to launch- my best guess is it has to be the torque and or maybe the traction control is more invasive. 0-60 the Type R is really really hard to make it go all that much quicker than a tuned Si. It could also be that summer tires need to be warmer than all seasons before they are at optimal grip. I notice a large improvement in how quickly my R pulls(and how much less the traction control engages) after I have been driving around for an hour or more compared to cold even though I'm in Texas. I didn't notice such a difference in tire performance when I had the Si. You have to be an absolute magician to make the Type R launch quick.

From a roll there's no comparison though.

I'm currently a bit over 20k miles on my 2019 Type R. I had about 13k miles on my 2018 Si Coupe when I traded for the Type R.

I absolutely love the current gen Si and Type R. Last time I had an oil change they had a black 2020 Si Coupe and I was so tempted. The 18 Si will not be the last Civic Si I buy that's for sure :drive:
You said it correctly, you can't push too much power to the front wheels or you will get massive torque steer, and shredded tires. The power has to be pushed in a linear fashion. Just turn off track control on a V6 Camry and floor it LOL! Especially with that open diff!

From a dig I can definitely take on a Type R 0 to 60 in my IS350, but I fully understand that I would loose once the turbo kicks in and probably rolling races over 30 mph

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
TC was fully disabled, you can see the blinking light around when he took off for the Si track run.
I see now, I missed that the first time. Thanks for clarifying!

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
In the pic is looks like the R isn't any lower than the Si. Is that the case, you don't have to worry too much about bottoming out the Type R on speed bumps etc?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
You said it correctly, you can't push too much power to the front wheels or you will get massive torque steer, and shredded tires. The power has to be pushed in a linear fashion. Just turn off track control on a V6 Camry and floor it LOL! Especially with that open diff!
Yeah, if you have no clue how to manage the throttle and traction, get a Subaru.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, if you have no clue how to manage the throttle and traction, get a Subaru.
The poster I was responding to had mentioned that off the line and 0 to 60 mph times his Type R is not much faster to that of an Si (even though it has about 100 more hp) because power is not pushed to the wheels immediately until further down the RPM range. The reason is that trying to push that much power to a FWD platform would have disastrous results to say the least. An example of pushing too much power to a FWD is years ago when I had a 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan we were driving up a mountain in winter when it was snowing. There was some traffic and we had to stop, when I tried to go the front tires started to spin (no traction control, open diff) and my van actually starting going backwards...towards the cliff! A road worker had to put gravel in front of my tires while another one pushed from behind to get me going in a straight line. He told me not to stop, and as long as I kept moving I would be fine. Scary stuff being on a two lane icy mountain highway, no traction control with a 5000 ft drop!

But yes, if you have a fwd platform with a MT, you definitely need to manage your throttle and shifts, especially first and second gears

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Glad you guys explained how the two of them could be even until they got to second gear. Makes me feel better about my Si. It's just that Honda designed a car that can handle, but not launch.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Glad you guys explained how the two of them could be even until they got to second gear. Makes me feel better about my Si. It's just that Honda designed a car that can handle, but not launch.
That's just the nature of a fwd platform as light as both of these cars. Plus you don't want to push too much power in the Si at once or you can throw the rods.

A few years back Toyota released a high performance Camry in Australia that was pushing almost 400 HP. It was a disaster because it torque steered like crazy and was undrivable at hard throttle. I think they even had a Torsen LSD installed! Releasing the 2020 Camry TRD, they basically kept the HP down to 306 and tuned the exhaust and suspension because they reached the fwd limitations, and RWD and AWD would just make it a Lexus!
Sponsored