EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Also because of US dealers and mark ups (yep they are marking up veloster N too).
If Hyundai makes the N mid engine version with something approaching 400 HP and $40K price as some have speculated. That could be special.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I've had AWD cars - the EVO and STi - fantastic cars in their own right - but man the CTR just feels so light and nimble with a tinge of 'I can throw this out and know exactly what will happen'.

AWD is awesome.
AWD is boring.

Are there some downsides to FWD? Sure, but honestly that pulling out of a turn and frantic feel of this car, and just the visceral nature of it in general makes me not really care / yearn for - or beyond morbid curiosity - wait for an AWD CTR or the next STi.

AWD is great, I've had my fun with it, but as crazy as it sounds for me to say it, the FWD in the CTR is just such a fun platform I'm fine with it being just what it is and keep the pork that comes with the AWD addition and leave it for another car.

I don't care my 0-60 suffers, this is a drivers car not a mustang.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It's all about trade offs when designing cars. No cars are prefect some are better at what each individual driver appreciates.
This is worth framing and hanging over the bed. Actually, it's all about trade offs when designing anything.

Last edited:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Corolla getting hybrid means Civic will get hybrid as well in near future.
There is already a battery, hybrid and hybrid plugin Civic but they don't call them that. They call them the Insight and Clarity.

AWD hybrid system will be on next gen CTR due to emission regulations as well as to keep up with competition in terms of performance outputs.
The current Honda hybrid system is an all electric setup with a real diff in the rear still. Most people don't know and many automotive press still get it really wrong. Honda Hybrid does not use anything but an electric motor to power the wheels except for highway speeds. There is effectively, no transmission in a modern Honda hybrid. The ICE is in there to make electricity and that is almost it.

So unless Honda switches to a rear electric motor like what Toyota has started doing on the RAV4, there will still be a prop shaft and rear diff even on a hybrid AWD.

I agree with you, but a Hybrid AWD DCT CTR sounds EXPENSIVE! I thought part of the CTR’s appeal was it being an affordable sports car.
This is the land of the Acura brand. I expect to see something spastic either in the TLX or the ILX refresh that is way overdue. The current ILX is basically a really tarted up 9th gen Si with a DCT but no LSD.

Hybrid, AWD will haul from 0-60. But will hold its speed in the corners?
All depends on suspension and steering geometry and really, where Honda has tweaked the CTR so well in the front, this will not be hard so long as they manage power delivery and weight distribution.

This is my understanding, CTR has double wishbone while most of the hot hatch competition is McPherson struts
Nope, sadly, the days of everything from Honda having the legendary double wishbone suspension is all done. In the North American market, the RLX and NSX are the last Honda corporation vehicles sold with double wishbone.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Sometimes it's about more than the $$$; some manufacturers have a legacy to preserve.
GM only builds one car - the 'Vette. Thank you Zora Arkus-Duntov.
The CTR will continue in some form, as will Honda cars!

Bernz1973

First Name
Bernardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R (RR), 2016 Honda Accord Sport 6MT, 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Idk man

If the 11th gen CTR is some sort of hybrid, I doubt they'll keep it FWD.

Hybrid + AWD + 6spd or dual clutch - that CTR is going to haul ass and I will pick one up haha!

With the Golf R offering DCT and now the Veloster N, Im positive the next gen CTR will have a DCT
If that would be the case, then it wouldn’t be called a Type R anymore.

Tylers_fk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (sonic gray pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know what will Honda do, and the current winds regarding electrification are constantly changing. I just watched yesterday the latest movie produced by the fat man, and it seems to indicate that the fanatical support for electric cars my be now waning in some circles.

One thing I'm certain about is that the Kung Flu will have virtually zero long term impact. Less cars were assembled and less people were looking to buy cars over several months. Soon no one will even remember this. Of all the cars Honda sells, the least impact would be on the CTR.
this 100%

AygunRajabova

First Name
Aygun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R (R-31655)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi friends! I’m fairly confident that we won’t have another Type R after this one for probably another 7+ (or even 10+) years because our last Type R was the Integra Type R and it was so long ago. If precedent is anything to go by, that’s what k think. There’s also the fact that they'd just announced to Type R LE. I don’t think they’ll release a new one so quickly after releasing the LE, which is being marketed as the “Ultimate” Type R.

breakingakajav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8, 91 Miata, 19 X-trek
Country flag
Hyundai not a serious threat? Based on what merits? Its in the same segment.

Subaru already confirmed the next sti is coming out with 400hp
Based on the fact that they don't sell.

Some people talk about the veloster N, and they like it. But, nobody buys them. Because nobody wants to be seen in a Hyundai. Sad, but true.
One of my friends has a veloster N and got it near invoice because no one was buying it. Idk where this markup talk is coming from. Maybe for the first month and then everyone realized that the N doesn't compete with the typeR despite it being compared a lot on reviews.

Hyundai has made leaps and bounds but they're not etched in the car culture or community. They recently won the WRC (2019) and that should help a ton.

Do note that Hyundai has been poaching a ton of BMW's M division staff for their own performance division including Biermann.

I'd agree with saying that they're under-rated and are a threat. I'm excited to see the competition. Competition is good for consumers.

Now regarding the R. I highly doubt the CTR will die, with every company moving to a global platform, this isn't like the days when every market was specialized. We'll be fine and we'll see more CTRs

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Yall know that honda is closing that plant in early 2021 right. and that Honda also typically ends a cars run with a special edition right. Honda CEO was already asked about the CTR future and he really didint answer all he said was that when the Manufacturing moved to NA it would be focused on the main product which is the regular civic. AS that is what pays the bills. They sold 325,650 civics in the us last year and what about 3 or 4 k in the US. July the civic will be out 3 years and the new 2020 is coming out with badges of low 30ks that ive seen. And thats world wide so R sales are not their first priority I would say is a safe bet. Will it continue.... perhaps. But I think we will see a skipped year if it does. They have done that before so.. maybe not a 2022 and 2021 is only gonna be the LE. We will see it again in 2023 if we see it again. Honda has a history of ending production on popular low number cars. Just because something sells doesn't mean it will stay. s2000 anyone. They have also skipped years in UK on the R over there before. Anyway for what its worth.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I'd agree with saying that they're under-rated and are a threat. I'm excited to see the competition. Competition is good for consumers.
They're trying to compete, but for how long? Honda does not look at Hyundai to set the bar. The N isn't selling. Hyundai would need to price the vehicle ridiculously lower than its competition for it to sell, and at that point they'll be losing too much money. I can't see production of it lasting for too much longer.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
As for the CTR - I feel it will continue to be built and sold. Simply put - the car is selling AT MSRP if not more - so if you are a dealer, why wouldn't you want the car; as well if you are Honda - it gives you a lot of recognition for your brand - win/win. If this car was struggling with sales - I could see it ending but since it's not - why get rid of a good thing. Moving plants - big deal, companies do it all the time. The only people who I saw get upset about moving plants were the VW crowd when they moved from Germany to Mexico when making the GTI.

As for comments about Hyundai - I'm old and my first car was a Hyundai Excel - that was a POS but they have come a long way from that. Having a Z and hanging in the Z forums - it's the same thing - 'I would NEVER be caught in a Hyundai' - but in the end, they are making cool cars. Are they catching up to Honda and Toyota - probably not but at least they are willing to push the envelope unlike a lot of brands now days. Other than the CTR - when was the last time Honda made anything cool - the NSX for intensive purposes - wasn't a big hit; but this CTR is something special; I hope they continue it. Toyota is kinda in the same spot - their FRS/FT86 isn't very fast and the Supra is basically a BMW - and when they released the Supra - everyone roasted them (at least they tried to capture that nostalgia). Anyway - rant over haha.

Dejavu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
One of my friends has a veloster N and got it near invoice because no one was buying it. Idk where this markup talk is coming from. Maybe for the first month and then everyone realized that the N doesn't compete with the typeR despite it being compared a lot on reviews.
A friend of mine bought it for MSRP last year with PP but he has to look for a few different dealerships. This is probably a location thing but it's been like that since it became R&T car of the year I think.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag