The End of The CTR?

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well with the global disaster upon us these days and with how hard every car manufacturer has been hit, I’ve got a strong feeling this will be the last time we see a Type R on our shores for some time, again. I can’t imagine Honda being able to come up with a profitable business case to put forth another version of the CTR for the next generation of the Civic. I’m even wondering if Honda will kill off the 2021 LE version as well.

All manufacturers will likely be focusing on their bread and butter vehicles, with sports models pushed to the back burner. I think they will resurface again, but it might be a few years before that happens. Maybe the 2020 car will hold its value like crazy.

What are your thoughts on what happens after the Fk8?
Sponsored

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
i don’t think anyone knows, including honda

the focus is probably on surviving for now (both medically and financially)

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
When majority of the CTRs are still selling for MSRP or more, Honda will most likely continue make them. I think they’ll continue to make the 2021 LE.

On the other hand, if the CTRs are just sitting and selling for way below MSRP, then I could see Honda discontinuing it. Ironically, the bread and butter Hondas are the ones that are just sitting on the lots due to the larger volume of supply.

The 11th gen CTR will probably come out a year after the initial 11th gen release. The CTR is still just base Civic at the end of the day. The additional cost to R&D the CTR is marginal.

At this time, it’s probably still too early for Honda to decide whether or not to kill the 11th gen CTR. Based on current CTR sales, it’s unlikely.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
The CTR is still just base Civic at the end of the day. The additional cost to R&D the CTR is marginal.
This is the key. The C8 is delayed as other than the engine, that car is not a parts bin car (And yes, I know that other reasons include that the factories had to close because of the rona). The CTR is definitely parts bin to a great extent. Even the engine is very similar as to what is in the Accord sport 2.0 and touring 2.0 along with the Acura RDX. Mostly differing on some internals, the turbo, maybe the head and definitely the tuning profile.

To boot, the base platform is shared across more than just the Civic hatch so that also saves losses that would pile up having to maintain a completely unique line and BIW supply.

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When was the last time prior to the FK8, was there a "Civic" Type R in NA sold as a retail product through Honda's dealer network? NEVER!!!
Mfg.'s introduce specific models to different parts of the world to increase overall sales. FK8 marketed to raise awareness of the introduction for the HATCHBACK model line-up in North America. Sales of hatchback models, currently, has a large share of the Civic line-up and is the most profitable.
The 2020 CTR and 2021 CTR LE will be produced in their predetermined quantities for sure as it's been implanted in Honda's press releases. It may take months delay (due to Covid) but it will definitely happen.
Honda knows exactly what their future plans for model line-up will be. These things don't happen over weeks or months. They knew 5 years prior what they are.
If they do come out with an 11th Gen CTR, it will be very different (combustion-wise) from previous models. Fair to note that when Acura had the Integra Type R fo NA (FN2), it was the first and last for that brand. No follow-up every came till the FK8.
Speculation and wishfull thinking is fine but I wouldn't bet a penny on it. At my age, have got to LIVE for today and enjoy what is available NOW.
If I waited for the 11th gen+ NA CTR, the world may be consumed by some other pandemic!!!

So for all us current CTR owners plus all those with deposits on incoming units, let's enjoy the pride of ownership, the daily exhilarating drives, that sweet short shifter, the reasonable entry cost, the sticky cornering, that Turbo powered VTEC, those standard hugging seats, etc........

To all those who are patiently waiting for the supposed next 11th Gen CTR, it may not appear on our shores for another decade or more.

Last edited:

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
It’s BASED on the civic... same production line... ....I doubt it.... especially with all the success they had.

Just like the wrx was on the Impreza back then which allowed it to survive all those years when sports cars died out and everything became priuses for awhile

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Next CTR will likely be hybrid or electric model. Fleet fuel economy standards are going up in Europe and Japan. Currently Japan is ~ 47 MPG gallon and in Europe it will soon be 57 MPG (I believe that is the number I saw a few days ago and it does vary by manufacturer). This is why international brands are quickly trying to electrify. I can't see Honda designing the niche CTR for US with a gas only engine if that car can't be sold around the world. Will the next CTR come to the US? Maybe. Will it be a very different car? Almost certainly.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Next CTR will likely be hybrid or electric model. Fleet fuel economy standards are going up in Europe and Japan. Currently Japan is ~ 47 MPG gallon and in Europe it will soon be 57 MPG (I believe that is the number I saw a few days ago and it does vary by manufacturer). This is why international brands are quickly trying to electrify. I can't see Honda designing the niche CTR for US with a gas only engine if that car can't be sold around the world. Will the next CTR come to the US? Maybe. Will it be a very different car? Almost certainly.
Exact reason I snapped one up - times are changing - this is going to be one of the last, if not the best, stickshift gas powered car.

Glad we have an opportunity to enjoy this special car!

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Maybe they'll just push back the release of the 11th gen another year. The last time they were hit with an economic disaster and rushed the release of the next gen we got the 2012 Civic. Then they scrambled to refresh it for '13. Can't see them making that mistake again.

Or, maybe nothing will get delayed and everything will continue as planned.

Last edited:

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Exact reason I snapped one up - times are changing - this is going to be one of the last, if not the best, stickshift gas powered car.

Glad we have an opportunity to enjoy this special car!
Idk man

If the 11th gen CTR is some sort of hybrid, I doubt they'll keep it FWD.

Hybrid + AWD + 6spd or dual clutch - that CTR is going to haul ass and I will pick one up haha!

With the Golf R offering DCT and now the Veloster N, Im positive the next gen CTR will have a DCT

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
With the Golf R offering DCT and now the Veloster N, Im positive the next gen CTR will have a DCT
The golf has has dct/dsg since the early 2000s, that's nothing new. Hyundai is not a serious threat. Will be interested to see what Subaru offers with the new sti.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
In the last economic downturn, Honda had a near-ready V10 NSX that had already completed several shakedowns at the Nurburgring. It was cancelled, never to be seen again with the company concentrating on core, volume models. Although the CTR uses a lot of "off-the-shelf" parts from Civics, it is specialized (and low volume) enough for them to do the same thing here.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The golf has has dct/dsg since the early 2000s, that's nothing new. Hyundai is not a serious threat. Will be interested to see what Subaru offers with the new sti.
Hyundai not a serious threat? Based on what merits? Its in the same segment.

Subaru already confirmed the next sti is coming out with 400hp

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hyundai not a serious threat? Based on what merits? Its in the same segment.
The people who continue to doubt Hyundai are the ones who think it's the same brand from 20 years ago. It's not. Hyundai has legitimately turned out some great and exciting cars in the past 5 years alone.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I don't know what will Honda do, and the current winds regarding electrification are constantly changing. I just watched yesterday the latest movie produced by the fat man, and it seems to indicate that the fanatical support for electric cars my be now waning in some circles.

One thing I'm certain about is that the Kung Flu will have virtually zero long term impact. Less cars were assembled and less people were looking to buy cars over several months. Soon no one will even remember this. Of all the cars Honda sells, the least impact would be on the CTR.
Sponsored