The DREADED...Question?"Where do I mount my Front Plate?" -- Don't drill my front bumper solution!

ssmith

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Toyota 4Runner, 90 Civic SI, 17 Civic SI
Country flag
nice thinking. Did you use extra vertical brackets to use the original 4 plate holes? Where did u find the black bracket?

Last edited:

spicy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatch Sport Touring 6SP
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Password JDM license plate relocator which looks really good and only had to cut the black piece (no plates yet unfortunately). But it was a b**** to install! I finally got it but there might be an easier way than using the hardware that comes with it.

CarFrontLicensePlate.jpg
Do you have more info and photos? Looks good, and I'd love to have mine looking like that.

Dan0974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 2009 Civic Si, 2017 ABM Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have more info and photos? Looks good, and I'd love to have mine looking like that.
It was difficult to get the nuts into the bumper and tightened properly. While there are openings and holes in the bumper, I had to use a crow's foot to hold the nut inside the middle of the bumper while tightening. I would suggest taking the bumper off and drilling through the entire bumper and then buying a bolt long enough to go through from top to bottom. It would make this so much easier of an install. I don't have any more pics of the install unfortunately.

Last edited:

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
Link to that plate adapter and also sizing on the washers, etc.?
As a NY'er I love the plateless look but don't want to have to fight dumb tickets, I currently don't have the plate displayed at all

Dan0974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 2009 Civic Si, 2017 ABM Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback

mrcivictyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW CTR
Country flag
Hey everyone...

So after my first $30 fine for having my plate sitting in my window... on a Sunday no less/ Parked!!!!

I got to thinking extra hard after multiple failed attempts and poor solutions on YouTube.

Attached you'll see some of the steps I did to make this happen!

thumb_IMG_5154_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5156_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5161_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5162_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5165_1024.jpg

Final Product

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edit* Here is with the black screw cover pieces that come with the weather tech plate cover.

thumb_IMG_5171_1024.jpg
Just curious, how is the mount holding up after some time? Does it rub against anything? Has the bracket loosed up from high speeds and require tightening?

Edit: I forgot to write thank you. Thank you.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Just curious, how is the mount holding up after some time? Does it rub against anything? Has the bracket loosed up from high speeds and require tightening?

What is the problem with drilling two small holes to mount the License Plate Holder ?

You don't need 1/4 holes ... 4mm bolts would be fine.

I used to obsess about drilling holes in things, wanting to keep them Pristine, but I have now got over that. If it needs a hole, drill it and move on.
Chances are you will never need to remove the Holder, and expose the holes, but if you do, 4mm holes are easy enough to cover over.

Just make sure you use STAINLESS screws (You don't want rust marks running down the fender). You don't have to use the common BIG plastic insert either. Use a small hole, sheet metal stainless screws and nylock nuts, and stainless steel washers either side.

If you are concerned about rubbing, place a small piece of thin neoprene sheet between the fender and the plate holder.

It really is not such a big deal, and once you have got over "Drilling Hole Phobia", like is far less stressful.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I placed a sticker replica of my licence plate and it seems to be working fine so far, http://customlicenseplates.us/
Have anyone done anything like this?
Not only could you be charged with not having a properly plated vehicle, you could be charged with using a counterfeit registration plate by using one of these.

OP
OP
Holtz

Holtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag

Hey so wanted to give everyone an update

All is perfect 48,000 miles later. Everything has stayed snug and still looks beautiful since putting the plate in the weathertech clear cover.

Honestly could not be happier with the solution I came up with.
Sponsored