unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
Ref your first sentence, I'm 67 and THRILLED w my red 21 CTR.wish I could have two. One to drive and one to keep in the garage and wax every day!
I'm 41 and love it, my mom (81) does as well however she does not enjoy having to get in/out of it! :)
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Naaa. I refuse to pay over MSRP. Got tired of hunting a CTR for months. Leased a Ridgeline RTL-E just to give it a try.
Honestly, there wasn't anything else compact and sport that was worthy and brand new back in March.

Looks like there will be lots of options when my lease ends.
Elantra N
New STI
New Golf R
New CTR
New SI
New Integra
Possible Corolla GR
Possible new generation Ridgeline/Passport with the 3.0T engine.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
May I ask why you're set on purchasing a new vehicle?

The depreciation blows my mind, roughly 20% the second you drive off the lot... insane!

Dealerships are notorious for price gouging, even on used vehicles.

Why not buy private party?

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Elantra N
Those N line car look sick! I had a Veloster a while back, crappy car, but the new N looks promising.

Hell, even the K5 GT looks fun. And for the price, it's hard to argue against build quality.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

The depreciation blows my mind, roughly 20% the second you drive off the lot... insane!

The problem with your overused argument is that doesn't apply to the CTR.
Didn't apply to the EVO X especially the FE.
Doesn't apply to many of the current pickup trucks.

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
Naaa. I refuse to pay over MSRP. Got tired of hunting a CTR for months. Leased a Ridgeline RTL-E just to give it a try.
Honestly, there wasn't anything else compact and sport that was worthy and brand new back in March.

Elantra N
New STI
New Golf R
New CTR
New SI
New Integra
Possible Corolla GR
Possible new generation Ridgeline/Passport with the 3.0T engine.
So you don't want to pay over MSRP but there's like 4 cars on this list that I'm pretty sure will be marked up over MSRP..

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you don't want to pay over MSRP but there's like 4 cars on this list that I'm pretty sure will be marked up over MSRP..
For sure the first year will be challenging.
The good thing about a wide selection is that prices should be more competitive. I'm hoping for that.

bizlipkick

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type-R #44105
Country flag
A lot of older folks bought the Type R and regretted it. I have met them here in the south at car meets.

Most car enthusiasts (like me) who have driven manual cars in the past, are not used to this new style of manual cars where the clutch is soft, friction point is barely felt, clutch delay valves are installed, etc...

I, along with so many others, have been used to a firm clutch pedal, strong engagement point, and no weird tunes where your power and torque is limited in the most important gears: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

90% of Used Type Rs are returned back to the dealer because of these reasons:

1. Owners noticing inconsistent clutch engagement
2. Owners struggling to get clean shifts in the lower gears
3. Bought in the summer months and the Type R can feel slow in summer, especially with that torque and power limiting tune from 1st - 3rd gear. The Type R is boost by gear. You make full-power in 4rth, 5th, and 6th ONLY. Those are your racing gears. Some older Type R owners returned the car immediately after finding that out.
4. New owner grinds gears a few times when shifting from 1st to 2nd and gets frustrated, decides to get rid of the car immediately.

When used Type Rs are sold with a LONG laundry list of mods and low mileage, that is a HUGE red flag for me.

Why would someone spend 5k on wheels and tires, lower the car, change the shifter, change the spoiler, add canards, stickers, new shift knob, tune, etc.....and then put the car up for sale within a few months of ownership? Some have no reason to sell the car other than wanting to move on (another red-flag). Some have reasons of garage issues, when they have been living in the same location for 10 + years and knew about their garage situation before buying the car. (also doesn't make sense)

1. I think some of those Type Rs are put up for sale because the owners ruined the god-damn car with all those mods. Some mods can be taste-less, and actually hurt the performance of the car. We've all seen them. Plus, I think it's easy to go overboard on mods.....sometimes less is more.

2. Putting springs on a Type R, and super-wide wheels and tires, are grounds for sloppy handling. If you're going to lower the car, just find some decent coil-overs like TEIN or whatever is out there these days for the Type R. Don't install lowering springs on such a performance car like the Type R. That's not doing the car any justice.

3. Some people tune the car and can't pass inspection in their state.

4. We have some tinkerers that start make adjustments to the clutch pedal travel and make the pedal travel too much, causing the pressure plate to over-extend. Then when they go to lower the travel back down a little after feeling the over-extension, the clutch no longer disengages completely, creating clutch drag. You literally feel it when shifting from any gear to another gear.

You guys have no idea what I hear and see at car meets in South Carolina. We have a HUGE amount of Type R owners here, and we are all close.

Be careful what you do to your car. Modding is fun, and can have many benefits, but be really careful and take incremental steps if making adjustments to the clutch pedal or anything in the drive train.
Where you at in South Carolina? I was just at the Columbia Cars and Coffee talking to a dude in his 60's with a Type R and he love loves it. All Anecdotal, but I agree with you on some of the other points (modding a car and trading it in, makes me think mechanical overrev)

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

As far as depreciation, my 2019 CTR's gone up 15% since it drove off the lot, so... :) I wouldn't dare buy a car like a CTR used or from a private party unless I had an in-depth knowledge of how the car was treated and maintained.

OP
OP
Gabbman

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2017 Range Rover HSE
Country flag
Also I have been quoted a 21 type r for 42k. There are used ones I’m seeing that are same or more than that so as most have said in the case of the CTR. It doesn’t seem to apply.

bizlipkick

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type-R #44105
Country flag
I hear you. Those things are crazy fast. I considered a 1LE before buying the R and got to drive a regular SS. They are really fast......but I felt it was too much for the street, so much that it actually wasn't all that fun to drive. Also felt bloated and heavy.

I've only owned my '21 but the test drive was with a '19. Really happy I was able to get a facelift car in my favorite color ever......everything just worked out perfect with this car, which is the exact opposite experience I had with my previous GTI lol

Well, a new one at MSRP is a little over $40K with taxes and fees......and MSRP cars were selling in transit all over the country before even the peak of the covid car market crazyness.

It's undeniable the demand for these is sky high. The supply is also relatively low. Those cars you mention are usually a stupid amount over MSRP, like $5-10K. But try to sell a brand new one right now for "only" $1-2K over and you'll have a line of people begging to purchase it. A 2 year old used one with 30K miles for $42K? Sure......not even the current market may justify that crazyness.
I had 2 5th Gen 1le's and a 2020 2ss I traded in for my Type-R- I agree with you, its too much for the street. I got the side eye from some of my friends (honestly, I don't NEED a 4 door. My son is 14, I have a beater car, blah blah) but I legit never really got to enjoy my Camaro's. With a younger kid and my schedule, its hard to justify spending 1k on track days for tires. If you floor a newer Camaro in 3rd gear and run it out, you are going to prison. So aside from the occasional stomp in 2nd gear to toss the ass end out, it was just too much. The type R, I can actually enjoy it some, and being super practical doesn't hurt (it can hold ALLOT of mulch. Ask me how I know).

OP
OP
Gabbman

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
FYI. I’m getting the oil changed (free) in my 20 si to get it ready for the sale. They have a black type r here for (49k) and they have had it for months. Seems to be the case with a lot of dealers. They aren’t getting what they are asking for

bizlipkick

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type-R #44105
Country flag
FYI. I’m getting the oil changed (free) in my 20 si to get it ready for the sale. They have a black type r here for (49k) and they have had it for months. Seems to be the case with a lot of dealers. They aren’t getting what they are asking for
Some are. We had a LE going for 59k at the dealership near me. That same LE is now a block from my house in a garage.

OP
OP
Gabbman

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some are. We had a LE going for 59k at the dealership near me. That same LE is now a block from my house in a garage.
I imagine the le will sell regardless because it’s truly a limited addition. They made I think 40k type r worldwide or more over the years. vs 600 le I think.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had 2 5th Gen 1le's and a 2020 2ss I traded in for my Type-R- I agree with you, its too much for the street. I got the side eye from some of my friends (honestly, I don't NEED a 4 door. My son is 14, I have a beater car, blah blah) but I legit never really got to enjoy my Camaro's. With a younger kid and my schedule, its hard to justify spending 1k on track days for tires. If you floor a newer Camaro in 3rd gear and run it out, you are going to prison. So aside from the occasional stomp in 2nd gear to toss the ass end out, it was just too much. The type R, I can actually enjoy it some, and being super practical doesn't hurt (it can hold ALLOT of mulch. Ask me how I know).
My favorite utility experience so far with my CTR was loading lumber at Lowes into the back for a work-bench I was building. Guy next to me gave me a funny look so I said "I'm building another wing for it". Love hatchbacks.
Sponsored