The Civic Type R... best car you ever driven?

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
I personally can say YES! Overall in every aspect... this car just blew me away.
Time to reminisce on a great entertaining review of this car that most of you might have seen already:

Sponsored

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
It is a lot of fun. That's for sure.
As to "best I've ever driven", I think you have to ask "Best at what?"
For two lane twisty roads like I have around me, It's great. For cruising on the interstate, not so much. My wife's 2.0T Accord is better at that.
My last Porsche was a 911 Turbo. Also great on the highway. It was no dog on the twisty bits, either.
But, you really couldn't drive the thing at anything approaching its potential except on a track.
For the money it would be really tough to beat the fun factor of the CTR. In that sense, it's the best out there at the moment for me.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Easily yes. But my car ownership history is filled with mostly economy cars.

1988 Chevy Celebrity (crap)
1990 Chevy Lumina (garbage)
1987 Toyota Camry (awesome except it was old when i got it)
1997 Dodge Neon (okay, but...)
2007 Honda Fit Sport (excellent car, but...)

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
As far as versatility goes, yes. Commuter, track car, grocery hauler, family vehicle.

I’ve been a Honda Fanboy since 1995 when I purchased a 95’ Civic Si hatchback. Since then I’ve owned a 98’ Integra Type R, 02’ S2000, 20’ Civic Si, 21’ Accord Touring and a handful of basic civics. The Type R for me is the most fun.

Reactions: mim

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
I haven't driven many different cars, but this car is worlds better than the low mileage 1998 Cobra I owned during 2006 - 2008.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
through a smooth, twisty road on the factory wheel and tires, yes.

but my past RWD shenanigans are just as fun, but not as focused and connected as the type r. closest in connected feel was my 99 e36 323is coupe with m package(yeah a little over 20 years ago).

i still think of those cars(e36,e46) as the last best bmw driver cars. my opinion.

JdubFK8

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i would say so. I've owned a audi s5 and golf GTI previously and the type R is definetly the most fun to drive out of the group.

chrisz5z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Type R - Boost Blue
Country flag
Overall, yes.

But, around corners I'd say the couple RX-8s I've owned were a tad more fun. While no where near as fast around the corners, it's 50/50 weight distribution + steering/suspension feedback edges it slightly above the Type R for me in the "fun factor" dept.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Is it well-rounded and a fun car for sub $40k MSRP? yeah.

Best ever I've personally driven, no.. cause well I've had the opportunity to drive some super cars.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
not really the best car i'll say. I had sit on some C8 and 720s before and those car is way better/ faster.
type r is a best for both side (street and track). you got room for daily shopping and good capability on track or canyon.

I'll keep it for my daily eventually after I get better cars.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
My list of cars - yay - lets age me

79 Lincoln Mark V111 - working 8-track? Hell yes - big as a boat, but on land? You betcha

78 Camaro Berlinetta - my sister couldn't kill it and once I got rid of the ants and put on some mag wheels it was - ok?

87 Buick Skylark - 2 door - rawr factor - high - you know the ladies felt that sensibility - yet edge - watching my 16 year old ass roll it - extra points for needing to start it by wedging a 2x4 up under the hood to hold the starter in place then jumping out - removing the 2x4 before it stalled to drive off

88 Mustang LX - the four banger - but with 5.0 badges - that added at least 500 hp (being conservative)

93 Mustang LX - Finally the 5.0 meant something - wow what a fun and dangerous car. Learned closing distance at high speed, and how underwhelming drum brakes were - glad to be alive?

99 Mustang Cobra - Really fun, felt slower than it was advertised? Oh shit Ford admits to mis-representing the HP - get a cool leather jacket with my VIn# out of the deal - so - a win? (Still have the jacket, not the car :x )

97 Corvette - Wow - does this hood ever end? Where am I in traffic? Should I have a mullet? Wow where is my legroom.

01 Cobra - Lets try this again - 100% aluminum engine down to the rods? Crazy. Won't modify but thanks for the heads up :X

04 Cobra - Now this is what I'm talking about! 390hp stock - forged internals? 400+hp with a pulley swap? LOVE it - ZERO turning oh well - nickname -'Titanic' because great straight ahead -oh noez on the turns

08 Subaru STi - AWD turbo and not looking like a smurf got murdered to make the interior? (05 STi etc. - YiKEs) Sold - drove for 120k miles - then the headgasket went out - known issue? wtf? Replace engine - oh - your shortblock warped when it overheated do you have more $$$? FACK

13 Subaru STi - Traded in above on - never trusted - traded in / sold for a profit

14 EVO GSR - Wow what a raw and fun car! Still have paper plates - lets hit up the movies on Christmas Day - Park in non open food venue (Christmas Day) some asshole tows it without dollies - two wheels on the ground - shreds AWD - wrecker company pays - car never the same - best stickshift I've had to date - DAMNIT

14 EVO MR - Got after the GSR debacle - Fantastic and fast - trouble prone SST transmission - Sold

17 M2 - 1/150 Performance Edition - Amazing car - 7 speed SST - just phenomenal - like the best German interpretation of a Mustang to ever be made - love it - amazing.

Test drove 18 Type R because I thought all the articles were bullshit.

Oops. What the fuck is this thing? Really????

Him and haw ad neauseum - wife says 'go get Type R'

2019 Type R- Best car ever - wtf? Better than the GSR and all my wet dreams of cars gone by - amazing. Too harsh for wife with back issues. DAMN IT - GODS HATE ME

2021 Type R - Revised suspension and bushings = wife ok with ride -

Best

Car

Ever

If I had to choose the Type R or M2 off the lot - would take the Type R -

AMAZING car.

Fin'

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
The CTR is a great performing car in its price bracket, that is for sure. I think it is a little too refined and easy to drive. I wish it was a little more raw. It can make an average driver look good. I’ve owned 64 cars, and it’s probably in my top 10 for handling. Maybe around 9 or 10 on the list.

jabberwocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla/Pilot/Tacoma
The CTR is a great performing car in its price bracket, that is for sure. I think it is a little too refined and easy to drive. I wish it was a little more raw. It can make an average driver look good. I’ve owned 64 cars, and it’s probably in my top 10 for handling. Maybe around 9 or 10 on the list.
What are your others in the top ten? I would love to hear someone that has had as much experience as you with other vehicles. 64 cars is a lot of cars and would like to hear what others you really enjoyed. A lot of times in forums you get a lot of diehards to one brand but it’s sounds like you probably have had a wide spectrum of cars.

OP
OP
Nightshifter

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
As far as versatility goes, yes. Commuter, track car, grocery hauler, family vehicle.

I’ve been a Honda Fanboy since 1995 when I purchased a 95’ Civic Si hatchback. Since then I’ve owned a 98’ Integra Type R, 02’ S2000, 20’ Civic Si, 21’ Accord Touring and a handful of basic civics. The Type R for me is the most fun.
I agree... in all aspects... in general... YES!
Sponsored