The car locked me out twice now...

dana0069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic touring
Country flag
I have the 2016 Honda Civic Touring trim, now about 3 months old.
Well about two weeks ago as I was leaving work in the pouring rain, I ran to the car, I had the key fob in my pocket, and the car refused to open, I fiddled around for about 10 min. and finally it opened the door for me.
Today the wife went grocery shopping and same thing happened to her. She called me on her cell phone And I told her to take the hidden door key out of the key fob and open the door that way, well she got the door opeen, but it also set off the car alarm.
what's up with that shit? we both have our own set of key fob's so it can't be both defective.
Anyone got an idea on why it doing this?
Thanks guys
Dana0069
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Most likely a bug that's within the software of the car. The best you can do is notify the dealer, and they'll be able to tell honda. That's the best to happen. I really wish there was a direct connect to honda, so we could report bugs.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Most likely a bug that's within the software of the car. The best you can do is notify the dealer, and they'll be able to tell honda. That's the best to happen. I really wish there was a direct connect to honda, so we could report bugs.

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
This happened to me once in my six months of ownership and it hasn't happened since then. That was about a month or two ago. At that time I planned to ask the dealer to address it when I brought it in for my first oil change.

OP
OP

dana0069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic touring
Country flag
I agree, it's definitely a software glitch, but it one that I'm not willing to live with, being locked out of your car, especially at the worst time is not funny...what if my wife for whatever reason finds herself in an unsavory neighborhood, and a car that refuses to let her in...

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I agree, it's definitely a software glitch, but it one that I'm not willing to live with, being locked out of your car, especially at the worst time is not funny...what if my wife for whatever reason finds herself in an unsavory neighborhood, and a car that refuses to let her in...
Well firstly, if that back up physical key even once doesn't work in opening the door you call Honda right away. As it being a physical key using a mechanical mechanism it should always work, and if it doesn't then something is super wrong. Second, if the fobs battery is dead and you can't unlock the car with it, you use the physical key then hold the fob up to the button while you press it. If that doesn't work then that's a total failure (ie Dead Battery, broken ignition, software anomaly). You fiddling with the fob for ten minutes rather than immediately going for the physical key is a mistake on your part.

I get it man, new tech is scary! When it comes to anything. A new type of TV comes out, and people will start believing it's going to melt our retinas. A new type of battery comes out, and people will start believing it blows up if left charging for too long. A common thing I hear when talking to people about my car is, "All that fancy new tech leaves more things to just go wrong aka $$$".

While that may be true, the same was most likely said when two strikes were replaced with four stroke engines, when direction injection was invented, when rotary engines were made, when boxer engines were made, or even when ECUs were invented for cars. I don't have much experience with new cars, but assuming this type of software is still new to all manufacturers there are going to be some bugs. Whether it be engine breaking settings, or a faulty instance that causes the fob to not work. If you're not willing to take that risk buy a car that isn't like that.

I gain nothing in trying to convince you to keep your car, so I'm not going to. If you believe the car is going to be permanently immobilized for any reason then you get rid of it right away. However, there aren't any reports of that and I'm sure it would be an absolute nightmare to hondas rep if it ever did happen. There are law's in place to help for basically anything. So if this happens again you call up Honda Roadside and have them take it to the dealer like that so you won't have to worry about replicating it.

If you honestly don't want to deal with anymore software bugs then get rid of the car. I think buying new cars from now on is basically going to be like buying phones. I've had about 6 new phones over the last year and they've all pissed me off in one way or the other. However, patience has been my friend, because eventually they got fixed and I grew bored of them and got the new one.

I'm sorry for the ramble, but I know your sense of worry. When my engine first misfired I started thinking about EVERYTHING! Whether it would perform the same as other civics, is that the only mechanical failure I'd have, what if it damaged other parts that wouldn't act up until later etc. To wrap it up, just take a breather or enact on your worries and get the ALL NEW 2016 CHEVY CRUZEEE!!!!?!!!!!

And if your wife gets stuck in the hood, call the police.

OP
OP

dana0069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic touring
Country flag
Well firstly, if that back up physical key even once doesn't work in opening the door you call Honda right away. As it being a physical key using a mechanical mechanism it should always work, and if it doesn't then something is super wrong. Second, if the fobs battery is dead and you can't unlock the car with it, you use the physical key then hold the fob up to the button while you press it. If that doesn't work then that's a total failure (ie Dead Battery, broken ignition, software anomaly). You fiddling with the fob for ten minutes rather than immediately going for the physical key is a mistake on your part.

I get it man, new tech is scary! When it comes to anything. A new type of TV comes out, and people will start believing it's going to melt our retinas. A new type of battery comes out, and people will start believing it blows up if left charging for too long. A common thing I hear when talking to people about my car is, "All that fancy new tech leaves more things to just go wrong aka $$$".

While that may be true, the same was most likely said when two strikes were replaced with four stroke engines, when direction injection was invented, when rotary engines were made, when boxer engines were made, or even when ECUs were invented for cars. I don't have much experience with new cars, but assuming this type of software is still new to all manufacturers there are going to be some bugs. Whether it be engine breaking settings, or a faulty instance that causes the fob to not work. If you're not willing to take that risk buy a car that isn't like that.

I gain nothing in trying to convince you to keep your car, so I'm not going to. If you believe the car is going to be permanently immobilized for any reason then you get rid of it right away. However, there aren't any reports of that and I'm sure it would be an absolute nightmare to hondas rep if it ever did happen. There are law's in place to help for basically anything. So if this happens again you call up Honda Roadside and have them take it to the dealer like that so you won't have to worry about replicating it.

If you honestly don't want to deal with anymore software bugs then get rid of the car. I think buying new cars from now on is basically going to be like buying phones. I've had about 6 new phones over the last year and they've all pissed me off in one way or the other. However, patience has been my friend, because eventually they got fixed and I grew bored of them and got the new one.

I'm sorry for the ramble, but I know your sense of worry. When my engine first misfired I started thinking about EVERYTHING! Whether it would perform the same as other civics, is that the only mechanical failure I'd have, what if it damaged other parts that wouldn't act up until later etc. To wrap it up, just take a breather or enact on your worries and get the ALL NEW 2016 CHEVY CRUZEEE!!!!?!!!!!

And if your wife gets stuck in the hood, call the police.
Thank you Kperalta,
I know your just trying to be helpful, and I appreciate your input...
Thanks
Dana0069

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
I just looked at your location, dana... 'Unsavory neighbourhood' being... Spryfield? ;)

Mine acts a little weird as well. I was washing it yesterday wearing headphones and my wife called over, "Why does your car keep locking?" I'd forgotten, the water stream completes the connection and keeps triggering the door locks. Sometimes the car doesn't like when I use my left hand on the door handle... stuff like that. I need more time to 'get used to it' and figure out it's little foibles. That's touchless, though. The buttons on the fob (haven't even tried remote start yet) work every time.

OP
OP

dana0069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic touring
Country flag
I just looked at your location, dana... 'Unsavory neighbourhood' being... Spryfield? ;)

Mine acts a little weird as well. I was washing it yesterday wearing headphones and my wife called over, "Why does your car keep locking?" I'd forgotten, the water stream completes the connection and keeps triggering the door locks. Sometimes the car doesn't like when I use my left hand on the door handle... stuff like that. I need more time to 'get used to it' and figure out it's little foibles. That's touchless, though. The buttons on the fob (haven't even tried remote start yet) work every time.
Hi Troy,
Ya, I'm in Halifax as well, and my wife quite often goes to Staples store on Gottigen street, not the safest area in town, especially as night falls..seems to bring the crazies out.
I'd be a little weary too in that part of town especially after dusk. When you think someone might be watching you and your rushing to get to your car, the last thing you want to happen is the car doors not unlocking, you know what I'm saying Troy...

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the 2016 Honda Civic Touring trim, now about 3 months old.
Well about two weeks ago as I was leaving work in the pouring rain, I ran to the car, I had the key fob in my pocket, and the car refused to open, I fiddled around for about 10 min. and finally it opened the door for me.
Today the wife went grocery shopping and same thing happened to her. She called me on her cell phone And I told her to take the hidden door key out of the key fob and open the door that way, well she got the door opeen, but it also set off the car alarm.
what's up with that shit? we both have our own set of key fob's so it can't be both defective.
Anyone got an idea on why it doing this?
Thanks guys
Dana0069
This happened to me for the first time today... Don't know why, also would like to note that the yellow blinker lights came on (not blinking) when it happened.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
mine locked me out 2 weeks ago. I locked the car and went to the truck to get something, I popped the trunk, grabbed my stuff and then closed it. Then I tried to open the front door of the car and it didn’t respond, tried the FOB and also nothing. I poped out the physical then unlocked the car. then everything went back to normal. at the time i didnt really think of it as a big thing.

i did notice while reading about this issue in the forums that it seem to happen to alot of people when they accessed the trunk and tried to open the door right after.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Agreed about wishing there was a direct connect to Honda. I bet most of the time, the message doesn't get passed from the dealer to Honda. And when you try to call Honda directly, they tell you to go see a dealer. Around and around it goes.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
I've tried this exact thing several times, along with the sunroof tilt, just to see if the car screws up. Nothing yet...

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag

I opened the trunk using the keyless button, car decide to lock me out, so I called Honda Roadside assistance. The car did turn the light off after 20 min. The alarm did go off when open with the physical key

Last edited:

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
mine locked me out 2 weeks ago. I locked the car and went to the truck to get something, I popped the trunk, grabbed my stuff and then closed it. Then I tried to open the front door of the car and it didn’t respond, tried the FOB and also nothing. I poped out the physical then unlocked the car. then everything went back to normal. at the time i didnt really think of it as a big thing.

i did notice while reading about this issue in the forums that it seem to happen to alot of people when they accessed the trunk and tried to open the door right after.
This is what exactly happend to me today ;(
Sponsored