Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Civic the best car in the world if cost is no concern? NO. Is it #1 in fuel efficiency? NO. What about the best performance lineup in the world? Again, NO. The perfectly styled car for everyone? NO.

But there is something no other model nameplate in the world can come close to matching. Let's call it the two V's... value and variety.

Not many model lineups include a sedan, coupe and hatchback. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Excluding the performance versions, there are 14 different body style/trim combinations. The base Civics go from entry level to near luxury versions. You can go normally aspirated or turbo. Manual or automatic.

Then there's the two Si models and the mighty Type R Civic. A total of 17 different versions in the Civic lineup. Now that's variety!

And for value, it's pretty hard to match. Not only is the pricing competitive up front, long term, the top notch fuel economy numbers means a lot less spent at the gas pump. Reliability? Hondas are still very good in that area.

Can you find me another brand's model that offers the same combination of reasonable pricing, three different body styles, 17 total trims, great fuel economy across the board, reliability, performance and style?

I don't think so. ;)
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The 2020 has 19 trims by adding the 6mt to some previously CVT only models. (But the EX HB is still only CVT in the us :/)

It also brings up the biggest negative of the civic line, there's too many options.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I would add to all the 17 different versions of the civic all the versions of the accord. They have essentially the same engines and they add another transmission.type. Accord Touring is priced exactly the same as civic Type R.

Accords could be called civic maxi or jumbo. So there would be civic sedan, sedan maxi, coupe, and hatchback. After all, variety is relative, since the manufacturer naming convention is arbitrary. They cold have slightly changed the front grille of the hatchback and call it Honda Urban or something.

Actually, that's how I treat civics vs. accords - same thing. The accord is a bit roomier (good) but longer and heavier (bad).

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It also brings up the biggest negative of the civic line, there's too many options.
Decisions, decisions.:hmm:

Sort of like going to a restaurant with so many choices, it's hard to choose. On the flip side, that variety means there's something for everyone.:drive:

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Decisions, decisions.:hmm:

Sort of like going to a restaurant with so many choices, it's hard to choose. On the flip side, that variety means there's something for everyone.:drive:
If dealerships had each model in each trim level to compare side by side that wouldn't be a big problem, but they'll have maybe 10 trims spaced out over the 3 body styles. The LX could be a separate model, along with the hatchback. They almost muddy the water with choice.

thewalrus

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (6pd); 2019 Honda Fit
Country flag
I agree completely. When I decided on a Civic hatch for this car the fact that I could get a fully loaded Sport-Touring version - with a manual transmission - was an obvious benefit that put it ahead of a lot of competitors. Just the fact that Honda still 'gets' why people would want a car like that makes me like them more.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I agree. I really like corollas but they totally blew it on the corolla hatch compared to the civic hatch. It's smaller, slower, and has less HP.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One of the cars I was thinking about before I bought my Civic was the redesigned Impreza hatch. I like the styling and the new interior was great. AWD of course was a huge selling point. But 148 hp? So lame.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I like the Golf lineup, too. 4 engine choices, 2 body styles, AWD or FWD. Lots of options to choose from.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
I like the Golf lineup, too. 4 engine choices, 2 body styles, AWD or FWD. Lots of options to choose from.
I do too. I love vw. BUT the 2019 golfs got recalled. Soft shut off issues on tons of the cars over 5k miles. Scared me away for a while, and usually vw reliability (or lack there of) i can deal with.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Variety no doubt. Reliability? Questionable. The real downer is how high priced they've become.

I just priced a Golf SE which is the next to bottom trim level. I added the accessories I wanted and it was nearly $30,000!

Honda Civic 10th gen The 10th gen Civic lineup is the best in the business IMG_20191122_163929

Last edited:

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Variety no doubt. Reliability? Questionable. The real downer is how high priced they've become.
The Canadian pricing isn't too bad yet. An Alltrack 6MT (the model I'm most interested in) is around $1500 more than the comparably equipped Civic hatchback. Unfortunately it's questionable whether the next generation Golf will be available in wagon form here. SUVs are probably much more profitable for them to sell.

thewalrus

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (6pd); 2019 Honda Fit
Country flag
I think it's more than questionable - I cross shopped my Civic with the two VW Golf wagons. Given the limited availability of 2019s, I asked when they'd be expecting the 2020s. The answer was never. Apparently they're being entirely discontinued. In fact - it sounds like Canada (and the US) won't even get the regular Golf until the 2021 model year. Which is crazy to me - but I figure the dealer probably knew better than I would.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag

I just priced a Golf SE which is the next to bottom trim level. I added the accessories I wanted and it was nearly $30,000!

IMG_20191122_163929.jpg
For the longest time I’ve always wanted a VW if it was a fox from the 80s or a golf. Being a German car I’ve always thought it was a good quality car. In 2011 my Tiburon got rear ended and totaled at the time my sister in law was selling her 2003 Jetta TDI ( my brother is a mechanic so the car is very well maintained) although it was a diesel I finally got my VW yes it had high mileage 100k I never considered it a real turbocharged car because if a diesel doesn’t have one it’s slow as hell plus it was my first sedan. It was the stupidest problems the glove box,stereo,power windows and the fit and finish wasn’t there and the transmission went ( the fluid was changed at every 20k) after 4K later it had a new transmission which I couldn’t afford at the time 2014 I got a 2014 Elantra coupe and was very happy to get rid of the VW the funny thing is before I got the civic I to look at the golf se and many more cars and the civic is a much better car and price and a better reputation
Sponsored