That time a year already! Who has their CTR put away for the winter?

Gympiebrowns

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Championship White Civic Type R, 2010 Toyota Prado GXL
Country flag
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I parked my car away on Oct. 31, BUT it's going to be 18-20 degrees from today until Monday, so i might take it out again for a few days lol

IMG_4003.jpg
hey mate where did you get the cover from pls, cheers

j_limitz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
hey mate where did you get the cover from pls, cheers
It's a Honda Genuine Accessory, i ordered it from teknotik.com but they are located here in Canada. This cover is an indoor only cover. Check your local dealers to see if they have the same ones. Model #: 08P34-TGH-100A.

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For me, one of the big appeals of the CTR is its 4 door hatchback daily civic practicality. If I'm gonna treat something like a second car garage queen and store it, it would have to be a legit impractical sports car like a 911, vette, or s2k.

No way I'm driving some piece of shit $2K beater a third of the year after dropping $40K on my R just so it doesn't get salt on it. Proper care, avoiding driving in ridiculously bad weather if possible, and weekly undercarriage powerwashes in the winter are a must though. But to each their own.
See I feel the opposite. I pay good money for a car I want to store it and not ruin it during the winter months. I don't mind using a winter beater for 6 months, I rather someone slide into my beater then my CTR. A lot of people can't drive in the snow, always lots of fender benders.

Gympiebrowns

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Championship White Civic Type R, 2010 Toyota Prado GXL
Country flag
It's a Honda Genuine Accessory, i ordered it from teknotik.com but they are located here in Canada. This cover is an indoor only cover. Check your local dealers to see if they have the same ones. Model #: 08P34-TGH-100A.
cheers mate

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
First nickel I spent on the car was wheels / all seasons. THEY are on as of 1 month ago driven by cooler temps. I'm in southern PA so not many snow storms and I have other rides if it does. Cool / dry days in winter might see the R for a spin. I love it too much to see it every day in the garage just sitting there......... staring at me........ whispering my name...... so, clean dry days in the sun, we have a dance.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
Changed oil. Washed and did a quick detail a couple of days ago.
Honda Civic 10th gen That time a year already! Who has their CTR put away for the winter? Small R.JPG

This machine is not as much fun. (One of the joys of living in Utah at 5,000'.)
Honda Civic 10th gen That time a year already! Who has their CTR put away for the winter? Small Snow.JPG

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Changed oil. Washed and did a quick detail a couple of days ago.
Small R.JPG

This machine is not as much fun. (One of the joys of living in Utah at 5,000'.)
Small Snow.JPG
That's not a Honda blower... lol just teasing.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
That's not a Honda blower... lol just teasing.
True but at least my lawn mower is a Honda!

I got that snow blower from Home Depot for $350 during a 50% off sale in February 14 years ago. Just checked their website and it looks like i would have to pay 6.5 times as much for the cheapest Honda 2-stage blower. Unfortunately it looks like i may have to start using the blower tomorrow!

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 CRX, 99 Integra Type R, MY19 FK8
Country flag
and this is why I love being an Aussie. No salted roads, rarely ever any snow, and only then in the mountains. Drive the car all year round :)

Blood_TypeR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R SGP
Country flag
I’m already seeing water stains marks under the hood scoop had the ctr for a about a month..I fully understand why certain folks prefer to garage their vehicles, Mother Nature is not kind to this car, I also plan to grab a beater from the public auction soon...

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Yeah, it's a personal preference. Me, I daily the car year-round. We get a fair amount of snow, but the plows are great and as long as I can get out of my driveway there's rarely an issue. Worst comes to worst, I can borrow my wife's SUV. Or, these days, forego going into campus anyhow and just teach via Zoom that day.

Now, if I had a RWD car, I'd probably sideline it for the winter, but even then, the days we get that are clear but very cold far outnumber the days when there is snow. So, even if I had, oh, a 718 or something like a GT350, I'd probably put winters on it and drive it when it was clear! Salt is an issue, no doubt. But in the end, driving is one of the things I like to do, and spending half the year driving something not fun would be hellish.

Though I suppose, if I had a) the garage space, and b) the money, I could definitely see having a WRX for the winter!

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
True but at least my lawn mower is a Honda!

I got that snow blower from Home Depot for $350 during a 50% off sale in February 14 years ago. Just checked their website and it looks like i would have to pay 6.5 times as much for the cheapest Honda 2-stage blower. Unfortunately it looks like i may have to start using the blower tomorrow!
Oh ok at least you have the lawn mower lol. Oh nice good buy! Yes the Honda blowers are a lot we always buy them used to save a buck. Won't go back to a regular blower now that we have use these, the tracks are amazing!

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Ottawa, Canada here. The salt they use on the roads here is unreal and it eats away at everything. I stored both the Shelby and the CTR last week (first week of Nov) as I have done every winter since I got them. Makes a huge difference in how much longer they will last.

Just last week I had to get the rear brake calipers replaced on both my TSX, as well as my daughters. They were both badly rusted and basically seized. Did the front calipers on this same car last year..

Honda Civic 10th gen That time a year already! Who has their CTR put away for the winter? IMG_2484

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ottawa, Canada here. The salt they use on the roads here is unreal and it eats away at everything. I stored both the Shelby and the CTR last week (first week of Nov) as I have done every winter since I got them. Makes a huge difference in how much longer they will last.

Just last week I had to get the rear brake calipers replaced on both my TSX, as well as my daughters. They were both badly rusted and basically seized. Did the front calipers on this same car last year..

IMG_2484.jpg
Yeah salt is so hard on the brakes, I can't imagine what it would do to the brembos on the CTR!!

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah salt is so hard on the brakes, I can't imagine what it would do to the brembos on the CTR!!
Aren't the Brembo's one piece aluminum? meaning it doesnt really oxidize and will only get surface rust?
Sponsored