That’s right, yet another intake thread! (Sorry)

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
/\ FriscoBrah, thanks for the video link above.
Sponsored

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
Keep the Injen Evo if you’re happy with it. All the intakes do is giving you that “whoosh and psshh” sound with unnoticeable gain and possible low end torque loss.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hondata did a dyno comparison for intakes -
Awesome video, thanks for posting.

So it seems like intake air temps are the killers here. I wonder if that gold reflective tape could help keep those temps down. I’m shocked the factory intake can keep air temps to just 75F, while everyone else gets pummelled.

Each of those intakes also seem to have those walls separating the intake filter from the rest of the engine bay- I bet you’d have to gold tape wrap that too. I wonder what is so different about the oem design vs all these other options.

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

So it seems like intake air temps are the killers here. I wonder if that gold reflective tape could help keep those temps down. I’m shocked the factory intake can keep air temps to just 75F, while everyone else gets pummelled.

Each of those intakes also seem to have those walls separating the intake filter from the rest of the engine bay- I bet you’d have to gold tape wrap that too. I wonder what is so different about the oem design vs all these other options.
WIth an Injen Evo, think its worth wrapping the plastic box? Or a waste of time

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan
Country flag

Yes thanks for sharing that eye opener intake Hondata vid.

So if the Oem holds temps down more than those other intakes it seems:
  • plastic vs metal - metal attracting more heat
  • closed box vs open - looks to contribute to more hotter air ie frm engine bay
in wrapping as such mishiimoto box with the gold tape outside and silver inside, is that getting the temps down anymore than the oem?

But my question is what about the few such as Eventurri? -since its not metal rather carbon fiber, can it not also keep the air as cool as the Oem plastic over those of metal?
- if so, the only test albeit off utube, in comparison, it has advantage in more HP beside looks, right?
That was what I was tripped on focusing so much on which one renders more hp/torque vs not thinking of any concequential heat effect.

Granted an IC, radiator, oil cooler etc and even the new 2020's more-open grill helps cool more.. what else? what's next? How can we improve on it's not just potential, but applicalble implementation?

Then my ultimate question is..
- leaving up to many of you engineers, what can we impress on Honda to do to give us more horsepower/torque as cheap yet not sacrificing efficiency/reliablity and obviously not at the cost of any undue heat soak?
- Bigger turbo or tune like on the TCR? squeeze a NSX engine into type R?

-Here's to our never ending quest for better and faster fk8 - don't mind me, from my old Prelude, to SI to and now to R, I can't seem to get enough HP. I keep finding myself craving for more out the engine.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
I’ll be going with the AEM dry flow drop in filter and gold reflective tape.

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag
Hondata did a dyno comparison for intakes -
guess we can wonder how the Eventuri works. I thought Hondata said this was the only worthy intake....maybe I am wrong.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I just went with a PRL inlet tube with a K&N drop in filter. Then I added the gold heat barrier tape. I like the inlet induction noise increase and the power gain. Cheap and easy if you are okay with spending the time to do the installation yourself.

Honda Civic 10th gen That’s right, yet another intake thread! (Sorry) AE56E7BF-9A54-4B76-87D6-2F0F6230F2FF

Honda Civic 10th gen That’s right, yet another intake thread! (Sorry) 2C1375AE-3C00-4AF6-8D73-11FD55908D71

Honda Civic 10th gen That’s right, yet another intake thread! (Sorry) A0B32F98-7EC0-41A1-8F35-F36B90EA9A77

Honda Civic 10th gen That’s right, yet another intake thread! (Sorry) 95FF43F3-054C-4ECF-9D3A-1200D1ED432C

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just went with a PRL inlet tube with a K&N drop in filter. Then I added the gold heat barrier tape. I like the inlet induction noise increase and the power gain. Cheap and easy if you are okay with spending the time to do the installation yourself.

AE56E7BF-9A54-4B76-87D6-2F0F6230F2FF.png

2C1375AE-3C00-4AF6-8D73-11FD55908D71.png

A0B32F98-7EC0-41A1-8F35-F36B90EA9A77.png

95FF43F3-054C-4ECF-9D3A-1200D1ED432C.png
Did you have to remove the turbo inlet pipe to wrap it? I have the wrap sitting in my living room, but I’ve been putting it off cause removing it seems like a pain.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I would personally recommend PRL. Besides stock it seems to be the only intake that actually gives you any performance upgrade. IAT temps are lower with it too. I also think its the best sounding exhaust. It certainly isnt the prettiest, Eventuri wins that. I know I am happy with my PRL intake, but then again id recommend their entire family of products.

CTR-19418

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So I found myself in a dilemma. When I first got my car, I shallowly perused the forums, and the basic understanding I came to is that all intakes are basically the same. So I went ahead and grabbed an injen Evo intake (not the garbage red piped one). I installed it and I have no major complaints.
After becoming more involved on these forums, I’ve read of intakes not reaching max boost, etc. However, I have also read that the PRL intake would be the only intake actually worth getting.
So when I ask the age old question of which intake is better, don’t just say PRL, I would like to know reasons. Pros and cons of each. I am also currently not tuned. However I’m planning Hondata in the next couple of weeks, once tuned, does it matter which intake you use?? Please help and give your opinions, I want to hear them all! Thank you!
Hey....Check out my build thread. My first mod for my 2018 TypeR was a mishimoto intake. I have video with sound clip as well. Let me know what you think
Sponsored