That’s right, yet another intake thread! (Sorry)

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So I found myself in a dilemma. When I first got my car, I shallowly perused the forums, and the basic understanding I came to is that all intakes are basically the same. So I went ahead and grabbed an injen Evo intake (not the garbage red piped one). I installed it and I have no major complaints.
After becoming more involved on these forums, I’ve read of intakes not reaching max boost, etc. However, I have also read that the PRL intake would be the only intake actually worth getting.
So when I ask the age old question of which intake is better, don’t just say PRL, I would like to know reasons. Pros and cons of each. I am also currently not tuned. However I’m planning Hondata in the next couple of weeks, once tuned, does it matter which intake you use?? Please help and give your opinions, I want to hear them all! Thank you!
Sponsored

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I say go all in and get the Eventuri and then you got the best. I went from the k/n filter to the Mishimoto and now with the PRL.
I'm gonna get the Eventuri next just because I want the carbon fiber. Lol

st1llundftd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R; 2017 Honda Civic Sedan SI
Country flag
I say go all in and get the Eventuri and then you got the best. I went from the k/n filter to the Mishimoto and now with the PRL.
I'm gonna get the Eventuri next just because I want the carbon fiber. Lol
Any reason you went from Mishimoto to PRL?

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any reason you went from Mishimoto to PRL?
I went with the Mishimoto and had a little bit of heat soak. I then uninstalled it and heat taped the outside of the box with the gold DEI tape followed by the inside with their silver cool tape. That eliminated the heat soak and drop the inlet temps by 5-10 degrees.
I get bored with the same thing so I bought the PRL and wanted to compare it with my butt dyno. Since I did the tape to the Mishimoto the temps appear to be equal to the PRL for the most part.
My Mishimoto is just packed away in the garage in the event I want to switch it up. Lol. I really should sell it soon so I can buy the Eventuri. My car never sees rain so I think the carbon fiber would look really nice when showing my car. Plus I want to compare it to the others I have had. :)

st1llundftd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R; 2017 Honda Civic Sedan SI
Country flag
I've been trying to look for a comparison between the two but haven't found one. I had no issues with the mishimoto on my SI but wanted to switch it up. Only thing holding me back is PRL isn't carb legal yet

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is California that strict with that stuff? How would they know with the exception of inspection? It is literally a 45 minute job to switch them out.
If you want to true comparison I can give you my opinion.
Both are great brands and you can't go wrong with either. The Mishimoto is a steel box so it does attract heat from the engine and road which is why I taped up mine. As you know the PRL is plastic so it is a little better to not soak up the additional heat.
As for spool up and performance, the PRL is a lot better unless you did the upgrades like I did and then they were almost equal.
I kind of liked the look of the Mishimoto better because it was a lot more stealthy because you can't see the air filter but again everyone has a different opinion. I guess I am old but seeing the air filter is a little too much fast and the furious for me. Lol
Both of my installs were simple and every part fit as it was supposed too.
The PRL will definitely be a few more decibels louder. When I took a measurement I think it was about 6-8db louder so if that's what you want then the PRL is the way to go.
Honda did a great job designing their air box so your not going to gain much and perhaps even lose some power on a hot day. I mainly did mine for the fun factor and getting to hear the blow off valve more and get the whooshes the car was missing.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
There are more than a few video comparisons on the net that say there really isn't any advantage to an aftermarket intake over OEM on a type R and in some tests oem did better. In Hondata it also lists the intakes and right next to them(except for the eventri) it states that intakes make no difference. If you are wanting performance well you are getting about same if not better from oem. If you want woosh and turbo whine blow off sounds then any intake will do. I personally went with Mishimoto. No reason I just like their stuff. It sounded great, was there a performance difference ...ehh not really.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
There are more than a few video comparisons on the net that say there really isn't any advantage to an aftermarket intake over OEM on a type R and in some tests oem did better. In Hondata it also lists the intakes and right next to them(except for the eventri) it states that intakes make no difference. If you are wanting performance well you are getting about same if not better from oem. If you want woosh and turbo whine blow off sounds then any intake will do. I personally went with Mishimoto. No reason I just like their stuff. It sounded great, was there a performance difference ...ehh not really.
I'm surprised that a high volume intake (assuming it is actually higher volume) wouldn't increase power given a proper tune. One of the primary reasons why intake-side VTEC worked well is because it increased the volume of air coming into the motor by allowing more time for the air to get in. If the high volume intake were, in theory, able to let in more air in the same amount of time it should increase power. Granted our turbo is able to compress the air 1.5 to 1 at full boost. In contrast, an high volume intake would need to increase air intake by some large amount to make a difference I guess.

itrgsr94

Never Fake Never Phony
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I installed the Mishi intake and intercooler about 3 weeks ago now. There is a nicer sound for sure, it's not summer in Fl yet so I can't really gauge heatsoak for intake. I feel like the mid-range highway response is improved and it's a bit more responsive there. Low end you give up a bit of response, but if anything it helps as this turbo spools hella fast anyway. I think the core size is also responsible for a bit of lag too. For those that think it's major I'd say hardly, and the car pulls more consistently even after back to back runs.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm surprised that a high volume intake (assuming it is actually higher volume) wouldn't increase power given a proper tune. One of the primary reasons why intake-side VTEC worked well is because it increased the volume of air coming into the motor by allowing more time for the air to get in. If the high volume intake were, in theory, able to let in more air in the same amount of time it should increase power. Granted our turbo is able to compress the air 1.5 to 1 at full boost. In contrast, an high volume intake would need to increase air intake by some large amount to make a difference I guess.
I mean I guess in theory it would but, LIke I said just google some comparison videos and see. They put all the intakes on a Type R and then dyno them and well yeah the conclusion is they really don't change much. Gotta remember as enthusiast we like to think everything we do improves a car but in reality... I knew this when I bought mine I still bought it because I Wanted the sound and the feeling it invoked. Power increase or not the added whine and swoosh was worth it for me . If anything it sounded faster which in turn in my mind made it faster :)

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I installed the Mishi intake and intercooler about 3 weeks ago now. There is a nicer sound for sure, it's not summer in Fl yet so I can't really gauge heatsoak for intake. I feel like the mid-range highway response is improved and it's a bit more responsive there. Low end you give up a bit of response, but if anything it helps as this turbo spools hella fast anyway. I think the core size is also responsible for a bit of lag too. For those that think it's major I'd say hardly, and the car pulls more consistently even after back to back runs.
I had this same set up and agree. I think, like you the larger intercooler takes away from low end response and I had a friend who returned hiw for this reason. but after 3rd gear and 3000 rpm it is very much more consistent as you said. But is my opinion this is more the intercooler then the intake :)

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Air intakes are generally a waste of money on daily driven cars. This is because intakes generally don't create more power- they shift the power band into the higher rpm range (some increase power throughout, but then you're paying a crazy amount to gain just a couple horsepower)

If you're on the track, it would make sense to have as much power as possible higher in the rpm range. But for daily driving purposes, you lose a bit of that low end power which is not what you want.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe air intakes can also slow turbo response, right off the line also. It's all fairly marginal- but you're still paying for ultimately slightly worse results.

If you want the sound, go for it. If you want the looks, go for it. If you want it for performance, eehhhh

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
TBH, I haven’t checked any compared date between intakes, I still have the old man’s thought “ turbo cars don’t get too much from them”. I went from stock, to K&N filter to Mishimoto intake. I like THE SOUND, awesome, and I wrapped it. I would like to try other brands with the upgraded inlet pipe, but not ready yet to spend a lot in not yet the ultimate power gain object.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/night-fury.17053/page-7#post-502496

Honda Civic 10th gen That’s right, yet another intake thread! (Sorry) {filename}

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Am I looking at this right or did you put on the gold tape on the inside? It's not a thermal insulator, it's a thermal reflector, which means it needs to be on the outside to reflect heat...

TBH, I haven’t checked any compared date between intakes, I still have the old man’s thought “ turbo cars don’t get too much from them”. I went from stock, to K&N filter to Mishimoto intake. I like THE SOUND, awesome, and I wrapped it. I would like to try other brands with the upgraded inlet pipe, but not ready yet to spend a lot in not yet the ultimate power gain object.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/night-fury.17053/page-7#post-502496

Honda Civic 10th gen That’s right, yet another intake thread! (Sorry) {filename}