Thank you 1.5L Touring W.O.P.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I gave off my 2017 W.O.P. 1.5T Touring sedan to a relative and am moving on and buying another car.

It served magnificently. 40k miles and endured 3 of North America's harshest winters with aplomb. The only problems I encountered during ownership:
  1. BCM had to be replaced because the proximity unlock function stopped working a year in.
  2. BCM reflashed due to oil dilution recall.
  3. Side marker bulb burned out and replaced.
My 4th Honda product and it lived up to the reliability image like the previous 3 did (Acura Legend, Acura EL, 8th gen Civic), never failed to start once, never left me stranded, never caught fire like a Hyundai product.

BTW, 42+ mpg on the highway, consistently, 32 mpg in the city except in winter :headbang:. This gas engine cannot be matched at this price point. I dare anyone to correct me.:headbang: What other engine in this segment has this much pep and gets that good mpg lol?

Currently considering: Accord hybrid touring, Lexus IS/ES, BMW 4 series. I have thinking and shopping to do.:beer:

This means I will be coming to this forum less. However, I will still be visiting, as I deal with friends and family who also have a CivicX and help them out with their cars.

My screen name says all about what I thought of the Civic :headbang: Civic is da best, foos!
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
As far as #1 is concerned...

Did they replace it simply because it was working sometimes and not all the time like most of us here or did it just not work at all?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get a Type R!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you check out the Accord hybrid, I'd love it if you also cross shop the Insight and give your take on the difference.

Happy hunting!

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I would throw in the Kia Stinger...those are beast..3.3L V6 Twin Turbo :headbang:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I know the stigma behind Hyundai but pretty much every single review or video ive seen about the Genesis G70 says the car is flat out amazing, that's gotta mean something. I'd at least look at the car if anything.

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know the stigma behind Hyundai but pretty much every single review or video ive seen about the Genesis G70 says the car is flat out amazing, that's gotta mean something. I'd at least look at the car if anything.
Oh, I'm with you on that. Hyundai/Kia/Genesis has come a long way from their initial entry into the US market, and especially so over the last 5-6 years. A lot of bashers out there that probably have no personal experience with the vehicles.

Any manufacturer can have issues, and BMW has also been hit with fires, but I have had good luck with the two Sonatas and two Elantras that I've had.

OP
OP

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
As far as #1 is concerned...

Did they replace it simply because it was working sometimes and not all the time like most of us here or did it just not work at all?

Precisely speaking, the proximity sensor would stop working one minute after the last interaction with the system with the keyfob or any of the door unlock buttons. The unlock pad on the inside of the door handle and the lock button on the outside were electrically functional. But if you walked away from the car out of proximity sensor range and stayed out of range for 1 minute, and then came back, neither the lock nor unlock proximity sensors would respect touching them. On the other hand, if you came back after 60 seconds out of proximity range, and then hit the lock button on the keyfob, the proximity lock/unlock functions would magically work, until of course you left proximity sensor range for one minute. So it would work some of the time, but there was a method to its madness.

I decided to fix it the last minute at around 59.6k kms (400 kms before warranty expiration) for the benefit of the next owner, a relative.

It was a burden trying to convince the dealership that this feature was broken. When I took the car in they were busy educating me that it was actually working and that I ought to be more worried about the oil dilution recall instead. After they "talked with Honda on the tech line," they came back with conviction that something was wrong and that something needed to be fixed.

They told me to come back in one week week because the "part" had to be ordered. But before leaving me, they decided to do the oil dilution recall service which a mounted to drain/fill oil and BCM flash.

I came back a week later, and after 3 hours they called me and told me the car was ready for pickup but that they had ordered the wrong part and booked another appointment for the week after.

I came back a week later, and this time they fixed it.

Looking at the service receipt, it looks like what happened was that the first time when they ordered the "wrong part," they ordered a new door handle, thinking that was the issue, which didn't really fix the issue. On the second visit they appear to have actually replaced the BCM.

The concern that I actually have is when they replaced the new BCM to fix the proximity sensor issue, whether the new BCM had the oil dilution flash update or if it was a BCM without the oil dilution service flash. I tried explaining my concern to the service rep and he listened, and said they'd investigate my concern........ Something for the new owner to worry about.

I hope you all enjoy this dealership story.:D

OP
OP

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Oh I forgot to mention in the original post, one rear strut had to be replaced under warranty. No biggie. Still was a great car. :D

OP
OP

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Get a Type R!
I considered the CTR at one point, but finding one in stock is a dog of a task, and highway comfort is a bit of a concern. I need at least 8 way power seats, comfy leather, and tilt telescopic steering wheel. I may end up buying something that doesn't have the Honda sensing features that come standard on even the DX like LKA, that was a killer feature that worked marvelously on Canadian highways and will be missed if I can't find a suitable Lexus with that feature. Lexus and BMW charge and arm and a leg for these features.

Thank you all for the recommendations. As I do mostly highway driving, I am prioritizing old school style luxury and fuel economy over anything else. Not too interested in sporty anymore. Thus the deep consideration given to the Accord hybrid touring (it is quite comfy) and the Lexus ES and 4 series (probably the low end engine variant, this car is surprisingly comfy too).
Sponsored