vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
The hobby-man post has stressed me out a bit.
I looked at my pressure plate to see the rivets,
since it is not yet installed. they are about 1 mm
lower than the contact surface of the P.P.
I received my kit 2 toward the end of November.
If the mechanic, when I go to have it installed,
finds that it is insufficient, we can always file
another mm off the rivet heads.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The hobby-man post has stressed me out a bit.
I looked at my pressure plate to see the rivets,
since it is not yet installed. they are about 1 mm
lower than the contact surface of the P.P.
I received my kit 2 toward the end of November.
If the mechanic, when I go to have it installed,
finds that it is insufficient, we can always file
another mm off the rivet heads.
Whats your date of manufacture? Should say on the box.

Si2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I’m pretty sure I am good. I got mine from Twostepperformance. They just received said shipment and shipped to me last week. 40 miles in the clutch. Feels a bit better and maybe I’m getting used to it as well

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Okay guys, so I have another story to tell regarding this clutch kit. It might be bad news for some of you but everyone has the right to know. Note that in my personal case the issue is resolved and so far I'm thrilled with the kit. Also note that there may be a difference in what was received in the US and Canada, according to my mechanic.

It turns out there are actually two versions/revisions of this clutch kit. The clutch kit I initially got was revision 1, manufactured in July of 2020. So quite recently. The issue with this kit was that the rivets on the pressure plate actually contact the flywheel. This was the 2nd time my mechanic had seen the issue and fortunately had my back 100% here. He took it back to my local parts shop, dealt with the owner, and got in touch with his distributor and finally directly with Competition. They ended up overnight shipping me a revision 2 kit (manufactured in Nov 2020) with this issue corrected. Everything after this was perfectly fine as far as install and function.

So, what happens with revision 1 kits? Well according to my mechanic when he installed this kit the first time, the car basically sat in neutral upon startup and wouldn't go into gear at all for a couple mins, before everything just kind of clicked in and worked. He thought this was super weird, so he put a borescope into the trans and found metal shavings everywhere in the bellhousing. Essentially he believes the kit "self-clearanced" itself by grinding against the rivets with the flywheel until everything made proper contact. He also noted the mating surface on the pressure plate wasn't properly roughed up and was a perfectly machined surface.

Ultimately, he's not sure what the long-term effects are of these revision 1 kits. If the issue fully resolves itself, or if lifespan or max torque holding are affected by the way it (literally) breaks itself in. For people who have had this kit on for several months by this point, you could help figure things out by looking into your trans, although that's obviously a laborious job. If you're happy with the clutch now and not running it to it's torque limit, I would try to put it out of my mind. Again, it's possible we received a different batch of product up here in Canada.

I can only review the product that ultimately made it into my car, which again I have nothing bad to say about at this point. I'll continue to update here once I've fully broken it in and as anything changes over time. This does serve as a reminder about the "early adopter tax" though.
I hope I don’t have that version, I do remember it not going in gear at one time I had to adjust the pedal

gotslicks

First Name
marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type rrrrrr
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is the exact same date as on mine so must be same batch. You should be fine.
The one I just installed I noticed the rivets on the disk were hitting the pressure plate on mock up. Probably fixed in an update they did. This one was a 6/2020

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The one I just installed I noticed the rivets on the disk were hitting the pressure plate on mock up. Probably fixed in an update they did. This one was a 6/2020
Yeah my original bad kit was 7/2020 so it must have happened between August and November. Did you grind the rivets down or send it back?
Sponsored