Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions...

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
So I had my first service today at the dealer, 97xx miles.

They had two coupes on the lot, an energy green EX-T up front and center (of course), and a MSM Touring. I'm trying to compare apples to apples here, so I ask to check out the Touring.

5 minutes later, they hand me the keys, tell me have fun for half an hour. :spaz:

Didn't take it on the highway - too much traffic at that hour. Still found a couple quick twisty roads to wring it out.

That jerkiness that can be present at times under 25 MPH on the sedan? Programmed out. Had absolutely none of it, although it felt like the turbo took longer to kick in. But once it kicked in...this thing definitely felt quicker than the sedan. Maybe its psychological. I gave it a bit of juice, and damn the thing even squealed the tires and had a hint of torque steer. Mind blown.

While the sedan handles quite well for what it is (minus the shitty tires...), the coupe steps it up big time. I swear, for an electric steering setup, it felt amazing, perfect weighting. A bit of a larger rim wheel, and slightly higher quality leather too. This thing is a beast in disguise, and it sad that most people are gonna look over it because its "just a Civic".

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions... 154aoth

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions... eipg1s

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions... xpzrxv

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions... 2vmsj09

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions... 161jbc

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
I've had my Touring coupe for a little over 3 weeks and a little over 1,000 miles and I love it. I had test driven a sedan and while I liked it I like the coupe better. Two doors don't work for everyone of course. My only issue is the rain sensing wipers, they suck. But that's not unique to the coupe :)

OP
OP
Billy4202

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
I've had my Touring coupe for a little over 3 weeks and a little over 1,000 miles and I love it. I had test driven a sedan and while I liked it I like the coupe better. Two doors don't work for everyone of course. My only issue is the rain sensing wipers, they suck. But that's not unique to the coupe :)
The coupe is truly something special, and its already pretty much in a class of its own. I feel like I'm one of the few that actually is okay with the rain sensing wipers, sometimes they'll get hyper with the morning dew, but they settle down after a minute.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
Thanks for the writeup! I'm sure you guys realize that the Civic is the BEST selling car in the US as of now. Keep in mind when you take into consideration pickup trucks, the Civic is actually 4th. I find that amazing because usually the Camry or Corolla hold that title. What does that mean? I think the car's styling is selling itself. Just my 2 cents because I don't see too many TV commercials. Loving my Touring Sedan!!

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
The coupe is truly something special, and its already pretty much in a class of its own. I feel like I'm one of the few that actually is okay with the rain sensing wipers, sometimes they'll get hyper with the morning dew, but they settle down after a minute.
You're lucky. My rain sensing wipers don't work at all. Zero. Zilch. I can move it to any setting between + and - it will wipe once initially and then nothing. No matter how hard it's raining, like today.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Did you by any chance notice the leg room in the back seat? My main concern when I opted to get the sedan on my 06 Civic was the leg room in the back. This pretty much led my to my "must haves", including the ability to carry a 12' roll of photography paper :)

So I had my first service today at the dealer, 97xx miles.

They had two coupes on the lot, an energy green EX-T up front and center (of course), and a MSM Touring. I'm trying to compare apples to apples here, so I ask to check out the Touring.

5 minutes later, they hand me the keys, tell me have fun for half an hour. :spaz:

Didn't take it on the highway - too much traffic at that hour. Still found a couple quick twisty roads to wring it out.

That jerkiness that can be present at times under 25 MPH on the sedan? Programmed out. Had absolutely none of it, although it felt like the turbo took longer to kick in. But once it kicked in...this thing definitely felt quicker than the sedan. Maybe its psychological. I gave it a bit of juice, and damn the thing even squealed the tires and had a hint of torque steer. Mind blown.

While the sedan handles quite well for what it is (minus the shitty tires...), the coupe steps it up big time. I swear, for an electric steering setup, it felt amazing, perfect weighting. A bit of a larger rim wheel, and slightly higher quality leather too. This thing is a beast in disguise, and it sad that most people are gonna look over it because its "just a Civic".

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions... 154aoth

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions... eipg1s

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions... xpzrxv

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions... 2vmsj09

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove Coupe Today - Some Impressions... 161jbc

OP
OP
Billy4202

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
Did you by any chance notice the leg room in the back seat? My main concern when I opted to get the sedan on my 06 Civic was the leg room in the back. This pretty much led my to my "must haves", including the ability to carry a 12' roll of photography paper :)
I didn't actually sit back there, it looked like it would be tolerable for short to average sized people for shorter trips. Overall the entire cabin felt roomier inside than out.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I like the side of the coupe relative to the last gen, which looked confused after the mid model refresh in 2014.

The back of both the sedan and coupe are still growing on me. I used to hate the sedans but I've grown to love it from straight behind- really sharp. At an angle, a bit too odd though. The coupe looks good at an angle but meh from straight back in my opinion. The tailights on both cars are a bit too small for how bulbous the car's rear is but it's still unique and nicer than the competition.

The interior loses the power seats and read heated seats I thought (and tilt/telescope? Is that true?), which...combined with losing two doors and space, was a bit too much for me.

Both are amazing cars though. Each has a few one ups on another, which is expected. My biggest gripe about the interior of the sedan is how the front seats are perforated leather but the back is not. It literally drives me batty since I saw it.

OP
OP
Billy4202

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the side of the coupe relative to the last gen, which looked confused after the mid model refresh in 2014.

The back of both the sedan and coupe are still growing on me. I used to hate the sedans but I've grown to love it from straight behind- really sharp. At an angle, a bit too odd though. The coupe looks good at an angle but meh from straight back in my opinion. The tailights on both cars are a bit too small for how bulbous the car's rear is but it's still unique and nicer than the competition.

The interior loses the power seats and read heated seats I thought (and tilt/telescope? Is that true?), which...combined with losing two doors and space, was a bit too much for me.

Both are amazing cars though. Each has a few one ups on another, which is expected. My biggest gripe about the interior of the sedan is how the front seats are perforated leather but the back is not. It literally drives me batty since I saw it.
Yeah, losing the "extra" Touring features from the sedan does kinda suck. I haven't driven a car with manual seats in forever, took too long to get comfy.

The wheel retains the tilt/telescoping though.

MrBudha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I really like to look of the coupe. I went with the sedan because I drove a coupe for the last 10 years and now need the extra two doors. Thanks for the write up! You have me wanting to test drive one when I go in for my first service :p

Gwjvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic EXT, audi Turbo,Jeep Cherokee Limited,09 civic exl, One bad ass Jeep Rubicon, Repsol 1000RR and a few Harleys
I'm 6' 2'' and that's the 1st thing I did was sit in the back,,i fit fine. I was amazed!! I don't know why I did it because no one is ever going to be sitting back there lol

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
What is this "jerkiness" under 25 mph on the sedan? I have a Touring sedan and have noticed none of that.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag

Car and Driver's test showed the sedan was faster than the coupe. And the sedan gets better gas mileage. :mad:
Sponsored