Test drove a GLI as I was consider selling my 19 Sedan

yanks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Country flag
Currently have a 2019 sedan and was contemplating selling for the GLI for a bit more power and a step up in interior.

Well, I test drove 2019 GLI and I was not blown away. First off, car is very nice especially in Silver color. Interior is nice as well, but where I really left struggled was on the comfort. As a tall guy the seat sits pretty high. It was weird. Overall drive was good..power was there, handling was on par with Si, but between comfort and pricing I could not stomach passing over my Si for it. Plus, the reliability concerns even with a 6/72 warranty.

thought I would share as I know many shop this with the Si!
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
It sort of takes a specific type of person to prefer VW over Honda or vice versa.

Similar on paper, but just an entirely different breed. Entirely different mentality between the two manufacturers.

OP
OP

yanks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Country flag
It sort of takes a specific type of person to prefer VW over Honda or vice versa.

Similar on paper, but just an entirely different breed. Entirely different mentality between the two manufacturers.
Agreed. Two completely different cars IMO.

04sthemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
I almost bought a lightly used 2020 gli before I ended up in a si. Could of got it for like 3k cheaper than what I paid for the si too lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I know it's a decent performance sedan but that thing looks blander than even an 11th gen Civic blahmobile.

Honda Civic 10th gen Test drove a GLI as I was consider selling my 19 Sedan Screen-Shot-2020-12-09-at-2.47.07-PM-768x435

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My Si is in the body shop after getting rear ended a few weeks ago and they gave me a 2020 Jetta SE 1.4T as a rental. I know the GLI and SE have different engines but I would never trade my Si for a Jetta period. The Si is a better car even with a smaller engine than the GLI.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My girlfriend has a 2020 GLI, great power throughout power band, decent handling, I feel my coupe handles better when it was stock. Interior I think is better on Si. The biggest downside is her car has been at the dealership 4 times already and once for a fuel smell that took them a total of 2 weeks to fix. Infotainment is really nice but materials used are better on Si I feel.

I had a 92 Gti and loved it but any generation after I didn't like as much.

Reactions: mjh

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My girlfriend has a 2020 GLI, great power throughout power band, decent handling, I feel my coupe handles better when it was stock. Interior I think is better on Si. The biggest downside is her car has been at the dealership 4 times already and once for a fuel smell that took them a total of 2 weeks to fix. Infotainment is really nice but materials used are better on Si I feel.

I had a 92 Gti and loved it but any generation after I didn't like as much.
The shop part is why I don’t drive a VW. They also have that German “numbness.” I wish you could get a Civic with cooled seats, though, like you can on the GLI.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Currently have a 2019 sedan and was contemplating selling for the GLI for a bit more power and a step up in interior.

Well, I test drove 2019 GLI and I was not blown away. First off, car is very nice especially in Silver color. Interior is nice as well, but where I really left struggled was on the comfort. As a tall guy the seat sits pretty high. It was weird. Overall drive was good..power was there, handling was on par with Si, but between comfort and pricing I could not stomach passing over my Si for it. Plus, the reliability concerns even with a 6/72 warranty.

thought I would share as I know many shop this with the Si!
I was all fired up to buy a GLI until I drove it. Yes, it feels like you're sitting way up high, it doesn't feel sporty to me. I didn't notice that in the GTI, the seats must be higher in the GLI. I found it comfortable just not that much fun to drive. It also feels like a cost cutting GTI inside.

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
Two years ago I was very much on the fence between the GLI and the Civic Si. I owned a Jetta at the time and preferred the "bland" styling and the far better infotainment setup. But a couple mysterious oil drips causes me to run from my Jetta (at only 50K) and go to the Civic. No regrets, this car has been perfect for me. But I do like the more premium feel of the GLI Autobahn.

Last edited:

OP
OP

yanks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Country flag
I was all fired up to buy a GLI until I drove it. Yes, it feels like you're sitting way up high, it doesn't feel sporty to me. I didn't notice that in the GTI, the seats must be higher in the GLI. I found it comfortable just not that much fun to drive. It also feels like a cost cutting GTI inside.
Yea it was weird. I’ve driven a newer GTI before and didn’t feel the seat was that high.

Going to hang on to my Si and just wait to see how the new 2022 looks.

SichuanHot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
They're like baby Audis and the DSG in them is super fun! DSG would be the selling point for me. I also like the angled dash that makes it feel more ergonomic and driver focused.
Sponsored