First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My coupe is 2016 EXT. My wife and i drive to Texas 2-3 times a year. Its almost 1000 miles and we take 2 days to do it. 1st day is 200 miles the 2nd day is about 800 and it takes approx. 13 hrs. which is about as much as we can take. Seats are pretty comfy, but it helps to adjust it during the ride to relieve stiffness from being in the same position the entire way.
Plus, getting 38-40mpg it only takes 2 gas stops, costing about $50-55 bucks!
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As someone said, they are different cars. Touring=quiet and more refined. SI=faster and better handling with some isolation.

There are hundreds of differences in the cars that add up to different experiences. You cannot sell it all together and keep the price low.
Only one problem... the Type R trim is technically called the Type R Touring, and it’s not very quiet inside :)

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
This gen civic platform and chassis is impressive overall and, from what I hear, a huge improvement over the last gen base civic. Therefore, all civics now perform much better, and the discrepancies between the current Si and other trims is less. I have yet to experience any rattles (knock on wood) and I'm sure better tires would greatly reduce road noise.

However, I wouldn't trade my Si seats for the touring's leather ones. They keep me more stable and won't burn my ass in the summertime.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I am looking to replace my daughters 2006 Toyota Camry SE with a newer, more fuel efficient car. Although the Camry at almost 150K is still extremely reliable, it has a 3.3L V6 that averages 22 mpg on a good day. And my 19 year old daughter is a led foot. So I am looking at either a used Corolla or Civic. Yesterday I test drove a 2017 Civic Touring with CVT and 30K on it. It was really nice. I mean really, really nice. So why am I disappointed? Well, because I don't understand why this car has extremely comfortable seats, has very little NVH, is very isolated from the road, good build quality and....NO RATTLES! And my Si had almost none of those except the rattles!

The funny thing about this car is that it has less power and torque than the Si, but it actually "feels" almost as fast. It doesn't have the same suspension setup (or LSD) but it handles really well. And it's quiet. and it doesn't make any clunking sounds on rough roads.

What I am saying is if anything, there was more attention paid in the build quality, from the comfortable leather seats (why can't the Si have leather seats?) to the materials used in the interior, which are definitely better. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised
I didn't read the replies but there are a few things that impact the long term driving experience here:
  • Bushings: Si has upgraded, stiffer bushings in several key areas, including rear LCAs, that prioritize handling over comfort.
  • Suspension: Si has stiffer spring rates (particularly in the rear) with beefier jounce bumpers and damping (both in comfort and sport). As it ages, and the shock/strut valves open up a bit, you definitely feel the road variations a bit more.
  • Cost: The Si was developed under a very, VERY competitive pricing window. It's clear they made cuts in several key areas when initially released (rear doors, headlights, etc). The Touring segment has a much higher and flexible ceiling by comparison.
  • Wheels: The Touring benefits from smaller diameter wheels. And the tires are a huge factor in distributing NVH (which also assists in mitigating wear of the jounce bumpers & several key bushings).
As one veteran poster put it... they are essentially similar behaving cars, until you turn the wheel. :cool:

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I didn't read the replies but there are a few things that impact the long term driving experience here:
  • Bushings: Si has upgraded, stiffer bushings in several key areas, including rear LCAs, that prioritize handling over comfort.
  • Suspension: Si has stiffer spring rates (particularly in the rear) with beefier jounce bumpers and damping (both in comfort and sport). As it ages, and the shock/strut valves open up a bit, you definitely feel the road variations a bit more.
  • Cost: The Si was developed under a very, VERY competitive pricing window. It's clear they made cuts in several key areas when initially released (rear doors, headlights, etc). The Touring segment has a much higher and flexible ceiling by comparison.
  • Wheels: The Touring benefits from smaller diameter wheels. And the tires are a huge factor in distributing NVH (which also assists in mitigating wear of the jounce bumpers & several key bushings).
As one veteran poster put it... they are essentially similar behaving cars, until you turn the wheel. :cool:
I totally agree, the Si would kill the Touring on the track, but it's not that far behind in handling. Anyway, forget what I said about the leather seats rant, I wish they had just put a little bit more into making the Si's interior just little more solid. Even if it brought the cost of the car up by $500, I think it would be worth it and kept the car affordable. The pricing of the touring is really not that much different from the Si, although I do agree that they spent their dollars in different areas (engine, tires, suspension and LSD for the Si and comfort/noise reduction and additional driving tech in the Touring)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honda did a fantastic job with this 10th gen chassis. Like I mentioned in another thread, even in the EX-L, handling is very competent. The other day I was taking a marked 45mph highway off ramp at 80 and it was smooth as can be. No tire squealing and no drama.

Sure the Si has a limited slip diff and stiffer springs but the handling of the other Civics is still excellent. The Si just bumps it up to a higher degree.

What I think holds my car back on curvy back country roads, is the CVT. I mean, my TSP tuned car is quick in a straight line. But on a tight turn on a curvy road, where you need to first slow down, the CVT is a bit slow to respond when you then power out of the turn.

With my manual cars, you just put it in the proper gear at the right time and it's pure magic.

Now cruising on the highway I take my comfortable, power leather seats and smooth ride over the Si. On the back roads or track the Si is the definite choice.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda did a fantastic job with this 10th gen chassis. Like I mentioned in another thread, even in the EX-L, handling is very competent. The other day I was taking a marked 45mph highway off ramp at 80 and it was smooth as can be. No tire squealing and no drama.

Sure the Si has a limited slip diff and stiffer springs but the handling of the other Civics is still excellent. The Si just bumps it up to a higher degree.

What I think holds my car back on curvy back country roads, is the CVT. I mean, my TSP tuned car is quick in a straight line. But on a tight turn on a curvy road, where you need to first slow down, the CVT is a bit slow to respond when you then power out of the turn.

With my manual cars, you just put it in the proper gear at the right time and it's pure magic.

Now cruising on the highway I take my comfortable, power leather seats and smooth ride over the Si. On the back roads or track the Si is the definite choice.
I believe they offer your model (EX-L) in a 6 speed manual, but the Touring only comes in CVT. And honestly it is a very good CVT from my short drive I had with this car. But a CVT doesn't belong on the track anyway. That being said, this was a fun a car to drive, and would probably be fun on a windy road as well

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe they offer your model (EX-L) in a 6 speed manual, but the Touring only comes in CVT. And honestly it is a very good CVT from my short drive I had with this car. But a CVT doesn't belong on the track anyway. That being said, this was a fun a car to drive, and would probably be fun on a windy road as well
Definitely not available with the 6 speed. I originally tried to get an EX-T manual but they were almost impossible to find. It worked out OK because the power drivers seat in my car makes a huge difference on long drives.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
an SI with an auto prolly would be faster than the manual and create more of a range from the auto touring and the manual SI get up and go.
That's true. I'd be fine with a DCT Si/Type R. I personally would still go for the manual but as long as it brings more enthusiasts into the Civic family I'm cool with it.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely not available with the 6 speed. I originally tried to get an EX-T manual but they were almost impossible to find. It worked out OK because the power drivers seat in my car makes a huge difference on long drives.
Thanks for correcting that. Manuals are hard to find in most models, especially in my area. I was originally looking for an Accord Sport in MT, could not find one anywhere. Even in the Civic Sport Hatch, the dealer did not have any models with MT. They only had two Si's at the time, a month later they had one left which I picked up

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag

Does the EX-L have paddles? And do you think your problems with not having power when you need it could be fixed with the simulated CVT gears on CVT cars with paddle shifters?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I don’t know how good the touring model is compared to the hatchback Ex model, but our Ex is real solid and quiet. Plus the 1.5t combined with the cvt gives real smooth performance. We have taken a couple long trips in it. We were very comfortable the whole way (8 hours one way). My girlfriend had her heated seat on while the sunroof was open. It can takes curves really well to. We averaged 41 mpg from start to finish. Now the Lx which is my daily driver is not as solid feeling but I think my 18” rims I put on didn’t help. But I love how fast the 2.0 motor responds combined with the 6mt. I just wished it had a lsd like the Si has, because it has no problem spinning coming out of turns.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Thanks for correcting that. Manuals are hard to find in most models, especially in my area. I was originally looking for an Accord Sport in MT, could not find one anywhere. Even in the Civic Sport Hatch, the dealer did not have any models with MT. They only had two Si's at the time, a month later they had one left which I picked up
You are right about finding a manual transmission. They are very hard to find. Most dealers will stock automatics because most people prefer the convenience of the automatic. I myself love my manual. I like that connection you feel when driving a manual. Plus the newer generation does not even know how to drive a manual. I hate to say it but us manual drivers are a dying breed. When I went to find my Lx 6mt, I was told they didn’t have any at both of my local Honda dealers. They tried to give me a deal on an auto. I told him no, I want a 2.0na with the 6mt in a sedan. So he called around. I’m from Texas and he said there was only 3 in the whole five state area. 1 in Dallas, 1 in Oklahoma, and 1 in Louisiana. Lucky me the one in the Louisiana was in the color I wanted and was the closest. They had it shipped to the dealer the same day and I drove home a happy man. I bought it before I even test drove it lol. Plus I bought the civic hatchback Ex for my girlfriend to drive and got her out of her Prius, which believe it or not was a great car to.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does the EX-L have paddles? And do you think your problems with not having power when you need it could be fixed with the simulated CVT gears on CVT cars with paddle shifters?
The EX-L doesn't have paddle shifters to simulate a downshift. Actually most of my "problems" with the CVT/turbo lag have been corrected with the tune. ;)
Sponsored